Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Confusion!

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hello, I was helping a friend hook up a new Sony TV this afternoon and we got a bit stuck trying to work out how to hook things up. In a nutshell... 1. Brand new Sony 46" TV - 4 HDMI in 2. Sony surround system STR KS1100 - 1 HDMI out, 1 HDMI DVD in, 1 HDMI video 2 in 3. Sony Bluray DVD - 1 HDMI out 4. UPC box - 1 HDMI out Our thinking was that it should be hooked up like this... 1. UPC box HDMI out -> surround sound video 2 in HDMI 2. Bluray DVD HDMI out -> surround sound HDMI in 3. Surround sound HDMI out -> TV HDMI in We were thinking that the surround sound unit would act as the centre of the setup. Unfortunately we couldn't get UPC to appear on the screen. We didn't spend a huge amount of time seeing as we were getting nowhere and thought we'd ask online for comments. Any thoughts on the best way of hooking this up? By the by, I think most of the units have optical outputs if that is necessary. Thanks in advance, David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

bluferbl wrote: »
    Hello, I was helping a friend hook up a new Sony TV this afternoon and we got a bit stuck trying to work out how to hook things up. In a nutshell... 1. Brand new Sony 46" TV - 4 HDMI in 2. Sony surround system STR KS1100 - 1 HDMI out, 1 HDMI DVD in, 1 HDMI video 2 in 3. Sony Bluray DVD - 1 HDMI out 4. UPC box - 1 HDMI out Our thinking was that it should be hooked up like this... 1. UPC box HDMI out -> surround sound video 2 in HDMI 2. Bluray DVD HDMI out -> surround sound HDMI in 3. Surround sound HDMI out -> TV HDMI in We were thinking that the surround sound unit would act as the centre of the setup. Unfortunately we couldn't get UPC to appear on the screen. We didn't spend a huge amount of time seeing as we were getting nowhere and thought we'd ask online for comments. Any thoughts on the best way of hooking this up? By the by, I think most of the units have optical outputs if that is necessary. Thanks in advance, David

Yes you can try an optical cable if the UPC box is deficient in HDMI audio.
    However if the UPC is working when hard wire it into the KDL46 , you can take the optical back from the KDL46 as the TV will allow optical out from the rear panel . This will also any additional devices connected to the 46" to the KS1100

Sol

Advertisement