Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fav Dave Lynch?

• 23-08-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Eh?

Well? 28 votes

Mulholland Dr
    0% 0 votes
    The Straight Story
    32% 9 votes
    Lost Highway
    14% 4 votes
    Blue Velvet
    7% 2 votes
    Wild at Heart
    14% 4 votes
    Fire Walk With Me
    7% 2 votes
    Eraserhead
    3% 1 vote
    Elephant Man
    3% 1 vote
    Dune (ha!)
    14% 4 votes
    Lynch is a weirdo!
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Probably Blue Velvet, although I've yet to see a Lynch film I didn't like. Except maybe Hotel Room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

sooo hard to decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I voted for the Straight Story even though it isnt typical Lynch. Best of the rest would have to be Lost Highway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

has to be blue velvet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Wheres Twin Peaks the TV series? That was his crowning achievement

EDIT: And yes I know that it wasnt just him, but its generally considered to be Lynchs work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I havent seen any of them surprisingly. Which should I watch first?

I would say the Twin Peaks TV series is the best starting point. It has just the right amount of Lynchian elements to give you an idea of his style, but without alienating the viewer. However seeing as the second series is still not available on DVD and the first ends on one hell of a cliffhanger, it’s probably not the ideal option.

This might be a good order to wean yourself onto his style:

The Straight Story
    The Elephant Man
    Dune (read the book first)
    Mulholland Drive
    Wild at Heart
    Lost Highway
    Blue Velvet
    Eraserhead

You can’t watch Fire Walk with Me unless you’ve seen the entire series.

And you can watch the first two episodes of the brilliant Dumbland here for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Quinnsey wrote:
    I would say the Twin Peaks TV series is the best starting point. It has just the right amount of Lynchian elements to give you an idea of his style, but without alienating the viewer. However seeing as the second series is still not available on DVD and the first ends on one hell of a cliffhanger, it’s probably not the ideal option.

This might be a good order to wean yourself onto his style:

The Straight Story
    The Elephant Man
    Dune (read the book first)
    Mulholland Drive
    Wild at Heart
    Lost Highway
    Blue Velvet
    Eraserhead

You can’t watch Fire Walk with Me unless you’ve seen the entire series.

And you can watch the first two episodes of the brilliant Dumbland here for free.

I'd put Blue Velvet ahead of Lost Highway and Mulholland. It's pretty straightforward, just damn weird. Haven't seen Wild at Heart or Dune, but I promise never to watch Dune, cuz I'm afraid it'll put me off him.

I think Blue Velvets a film you can appreciate better when you’re more familiar with Lynch’s themes and concerns. It’ll be more straightforward plot wise compared to Mulholland and Highway but less rewarding to watch.

Quinnsey wrote:
    I think Blue Velvets a film you can appreciate better when you’re more familiar with Lynch’s themes and concerns. It’ll be more straightforward plot wise compared to Mulholland and Highway but less rewarding to watch.

Fair enough, I suppose. I've never seen any of Twin Peaks series. Are they worth it? It's pretty expensive for the boxset isn't it?

• Advertisement

A definite must-have for anyone who’s into Lynch and probably the greatest TV series ever made.

The R2 Series 1 boxset is the best to get because it includes the 2 hour pilot unlike the R1, althought that has an (unnecessary) DTS track.

It’s only £15.99 at cd-wow.co.uk (and less if there are any vouchers going at the minute).

Quinnsey wrote:
    A definite must-have for anyone who’s into Lynch and probably the greatest TV series ever made.

The R2 Series 1 boxset is the best to get because it includes the 2 hour pilot unlike the R1, althought that has an (unnecessary) DTS track.

It’s only £15.99 at cd-wow.co.uk (and less if there are any vouchers going at the minute).

Really? Cool. What's a DTS track tho?

Just provides higher quality, less compressed sound compared to standard Dolby Digital. Not really worthwhile for a TV series like this and you NEED the pilot to follow the plot.

Watch them late at night. With the lights off and the sound turned up.

And it says it's just eps 1-7... That's hardly the whole series is it? Was this ever on RTE or what? Is it worth getting if I mightn't be able to see the rest...?

Quinnsey wrote:
    Watch them late at night. With the lights off and the sound turned up.

Amen to that. Goes for all Lynch films. Imagine watching Eraserhead in daytime with the lights off :D

That’s the entire first series. The second series was a lot longer but the DVD has been announced and cancelled on and off for ages now. It could be a while before we see it on DVD.

I think Series 2 was released on mediocre DVD’s in Spain but these go for stupid money on ebay. Only other way to see Series 2 is on old VHS tapes or dodgy downloads I’m afraid. Pretty sure it’s not being syndicated anywhere at the moment.

I’m not sure if it was ever shown on RTE, anyone know? It was shown on BBC2 Thursdays at 9 o’clock for it’s initial run.

Quinnsey wrote:
    That’s the entire first series. The second series was a lot longer but the DVD has been announced and cancelled on and off for ages now. It could be a while before we see it on DVD.

I think Series 2 was released on mediocre DVD’s in Spain but these go for stupid money on ebay. Only other way to see Series 2 is on old VHS tapes or dodgy downloads I’m afraid. Pretty sure it’s not being syndicated anywhere at the moment.

I’m not sure if it was ever shown on RTE, anyone know? It was shown on BBC2 Thursdays at 9 o’clock for it’s initial run.

Okay thanks. Is it really good though? What kinda weird is it, like BV or Mulholland, or Eraserhead? Does it pretty much make sense, or are there loads of theories, etc? And what are CDWow vouchers, and how do I get them?

It's not pervasive weirdness like Eraserhead, more off kilter with brief outbreaks of the downright surreal and terrifying. It has a heart-breaking and sincere profundity where you least expect it. There’s a great atmosphere and it’s quite funny throughout. And Agent Cooper it one the greatest TV characters ever created.

I wouldn’t recommend it though if you’re just looking for something freaky ;)

Do a search on google for cd-wow vouchers and you should find a few.

Okay cool.

But what are the vouchers? Obviously they give money off, but why are they available?

Cd-wow use them as a form of advertising. If a website or forum signs up for them, they put up an ad and anyone that clicks through them get’s a certain amount off the price and the website advertising them get’s a commission for every purchase.

• Advertisement

Can you abuse them and use more than one at a time?

You used to be able to play around with them a little and get a bit extra off but they cracked down on it a while back and might cancel your order if you overdo it nowadays.

Advertisement