Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Trailer Online

Options
  • 27-07-2005 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭

The Doom teaser trailer is now online, and I think it actually looks like it could be fun!

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/490/490104/vids_1.html

No sign of the FPS segment in the trailer, but the look and feel is pretty cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭BKtje

Certainly looks like doom but (and this may be well known, i havent kept up to date on it at all) from that trailer it doesnt seem to keep very true to games storylines regarding hell etc? or am i missing something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I read a bit write up on a trailer shown (at comic con, I think) which featured some 1st person viewpoints. Sounded interesting and the film is looking like it could be a good action film, especially if it pulls off the intensity well and doesn't just resort to the predictable 'quiet but tense music, protagonist and faceless sidekick #2093 creep around looking wary, huge monster jumps out from behind a desk (heralded by shreiking violins and big drums), eats faceless sidekick and gets minced by main character'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It looks watchable, but nothing amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I can't think of a single computer game that has been made into a good film - and this one doesn't look like changing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anyone find the trailer from comic con?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The trailer looks to the game as the movie version of Resi Evil looked to the game...

....In other words, disappointing trailer, typical hollywood no brainer looking....but that said, I DID actually like Resi Evil....so at worst, it'll be an entertaining no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

a nice big super...MEH..anyone else getting sick of these big CGI titles in the trailers? they always look really tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

It would be better off as a animated movie imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Meh, pseudo-horror (ie jumpy bits) action flick, tbh. Should hopefully be fun, but I doubt it'll be any kind of a masterpiece. Still, could be worse - I remember the rumours years ago that Arnie was going to be involved...

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote:
    Still, could be worse - I remember the rumours years ago that Arnie was going to be involved...

C'mon, even Arnie made some classics in his time... Both Terminator films, Conan The Barbarian, Total Recall, Predator, and for the pure cheese of it, Commando! Doom wishes it could be as good as an Arnie film!

C'mon, even Arnie made some classics in his time... Both Terminator films, Conan The Barbarian, Total Recall, Predator, and for the pure cheese of it, Commando! Doom wishes it could be as good as an Arnie film!

I've never seen an arnie film and not liked it. The man's a god, the best thing that could happen to Doom is if it was made 10 years ago :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Don't get me wrong, Arnie could have made a great Doom movie if they'd made a start on it about 10-12 years ago. (As I've just noticed someone else has already said).

But the rumours I referred to (which may have been a load of rubbish) made it sound like the film would be more a Collateral Damage or Eraser than a Terminator or Predator flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The trailer looks to the game as the movie version of Resi Evil looked to the game...
    To me, the Doom teaser looks exactly like the movie of Resident Evil. Except this time without the promise of Milla Jovovich running around in a skimpy dress :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I for one am really looking forward to this movie and just dont understand why so many people are on a downer over it :(

Its a Doom movie so why is everyone expecting a complex plot with character development? Its about a base on mars that gets overrun by demons and one lone asskicking marine shooting seven shades of crap out of them. Its about monsters jumping out of nowhere and alot of darkness being used to create tension and judging from the trailor it looks spot on to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Venom wrote:
    I for one am really looking forward to this movie and just dont understand why so many people are on a downer over it :(

Its a Doom movie so why is everyone expecting a complex plot with character development? Its about a base on mars that gets overrun by demons and one lone asskicking marine shooting seven shades of crap out of them. Its about monsters jumping out of nowhere and alot of darkness being used to create tension and judging from the trailor it looks spot on to me.

Probably the problem is that the film isn't about a base on mars overrun by demons. It of course had to be PC and not feature demons because of the conservative bivle bashers would be offended. Why it isn't set on mars? Because it was probably an unused script now masquerading as Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Probably the problem is that the film isn't about a base on mars overrun by demons. It of course had to be PC and not feature demons because of the conservative bivle bashers would be offended. Why it isn't set on mars? Because it was probably an unused script now masquerading as Doom.

Yes it is about a base on mars over run by monsters.... Did you watch the trailer?

The reason I'm not hugely keen on it is because jumpy scares based on monsters lunging out of the darkness in a huge forbidding base can be a hell of a lot of fun for 2 hours when you're playing the game. I see it getting a little bit tiresome in a 2 hour movie. Especially since, as a horror fan, I've already seen so many jumpy-scare films that I'm able to predict where and how the next scare will usually look.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it's a bad film as such. Just that Doom isn't a game that lends itself to a film adaptation particularly easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

There could be loads of cgi Doom movies true to the game just by recording the gameplay as ye play it. You could even swap movies with yer mates to see whos is better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

another game to film release on the cards:[linkd=article]http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24978[/linkd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Venom wrote:

Actually we dont want a complex plot...we want down and dirty! The trailer (like Resident Evil) is visually far too clean, the sets look brand new and all the characters all look as if they've just graduated from the military academy.

Remember Aliens? Forget the plot, what was great about that film, was the colony was run down and well used, the marines not only acted like smart allec grunts but they looked it too with uniforms that have tears and cuts and grafitti..Its all in the atmosphere. An atmosphere Doom as a game clearly took nods from, but the film hasnt.

But just from these teaser i dont see anything like that. I see a nice shiny set with these clean soldiers and then monsters appearing that just look out of place.

Very much like how Resident Evil went. The atmposphere of the game was a slow visual horror with mansions and bloodied labs the film had shiny corriders and offices...wasnt slow or chilling either...*sigh*

Its the atmosphere that feels wrong.

Those would be my sentiments also, Blitz.

Those would be my sentiments also, Blitz.

Actually, that about sums it up from me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Blitz the base on mars is ment to be brand new tho. In Doom 3 the game its a new base hence in the movie its a new base. And I got a very Resident Evil 1 movie vib from the trailor.

I dunno about the demon bit but the monsters look right out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I like the look of the deamons in it, the trailer doesnt give much away (it is only a teaser I suppose), but as far as mindless violence flicks go, it could be a pretty fun film, hopefully they dont try for a slow paced film with the odd 'jump' moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

IIRC the game showed that the mars scientist were mapping the human genome on mars...

the twist could be a doorway to hell and then give the film a plot someway based on the game... I'd find it pretty crappy if Doom turned out to be a story based on the ethics of ****ing around with human biology...

hopefully the science is just a cover for the true action of hell being unleashed... coz i cant see how hellknights and other such doom characters coming from just a couple of experiments...

simply put... just give us hell, give us guns, gives us action

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I let out a big sigh as soon as I saw the human genome thing. Just made it seem like Resident Evil in space. But who knows, Hell could still be in it. Doom has been kept pretty much under wraps so far, this is the first trailer as far as I know. Maybe it's a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Basically everyone knows that this film will be rubbish.. the only people interested will be nerds who download all their films anyway.. so who´s left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bunny wrote:
    Basically everyone knows that this film will be rubbish.. the only people interested will be nerds who download all their films anyway.. so who´s left?
    indenial.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New trailer out.... http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/doom.html

FPS scenes look good, but some of the dialogue is awful......

Advertisement