Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 4.4 Kitkat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Interesting. Was pretty sure we'd get 5.0 this year.
    Reckon we might get dates/details in October to tie in with a new phone and nexus 10 launch in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Can't wait for android Crunchie heh :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Android Mars, mmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I know Key-Lime Pie was a stretch, but KitKat....

You know whats going to happen next dont you? Phone Vs Food memes everywhere.

I wonder what's causing the delay to 5?
    Is it a case whereby they are waiting to see what the new IOS offers
    and how users react to allow Google to tweak a full/final release?
    Android need to win over the american market from Apple.
    They could launch 5.0 at MWC in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can't wait for the 4.5 Kit Kat Chunky update... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

We already know what the new iOS offers. It was announced months ago and people have been using it for months.

The reason this isn't 5.0 is probably because Google didn't feel it was a big enough jump. Look at the jump from 2.x to 4.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

[QgUOTE=Fieldog;86358372]Can't wait for the 4.5 Kit Kat Chunky update... :-)[/QUOTE]

4.5.1 Kit Kat Chunky choc fudge is the one i'm waiting for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Remember when Galaxy's and KitKat's used to be bars of chocolate! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

This business deal will NOT be good for my waistline! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Will my warranty cover me if I dunk my phone in my tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I want chunkybite broadband :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

What a twist. 4.4. No pie.

This calls for only one thing:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sell outs :(

I'm off to buy a WP8 phone tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wonder will the Note 3 have kit kat or is that asking for too much?

Nolimits wrote: »
    We already know what the new iOS offers. It was announced months ago and people have been using it for months.

The reason this isn't 5.0 is probably because Google didn't feel it was a big enough jump. Look at the jump from 2.x to 4.0.

We haven't seen Joe Public's reaction to the new iOS nor have we seen the reaction to the rumoured entry level iphones. We had speculation earlier this year that 5.0 would be a big overhaul and focus on improving android experience on entry level
    phones and other hardware. This was also to help drive people with older hardware and low spec devices to upgrade their OS and help fight fragmentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

Will my warranty cover me if I dunk my phone in my tea?
    only if its the xperia z :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I wonder did Google approach Nestle for the name or did Nestle approach Google?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

touts wrote: »

Google approached Nestle about it for a laugh apparently, and somehow a day later it was agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

touts wrote: »

Google approached Nestle.
    Although the developers had referred to the forthcoming version as KLP in internal documents, Mr Lagerling said the team decided late last year to opt instead for the chocolate bar.

"We realised that very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie," he explained.

"One of the snacks that we keep in our kitchen for late-night coding are KitKats. And someone said: 'Hey, why don't we call the release KitKat?'

"We didn't even know which company controlled the name, and we thought that [the choice] would be difficult. But then we thought well why not, and we decided to reach out to the Nestle folks."

Mr Lagerling said he had made a "cold call" to the switchboard of Nestle's UK advertising agency at the end of November to propose the tie-up.

The next day, the Swiss firm invited him to take part in a conference call. Nestle confirmed the deal just 24 hours later.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23926938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

What's in a name? I like it too be honest!

Key lime pie never sat right with me and doesn't slip of the tongue.
    That kit Kat video is genius as well.

As for version number, it's just a number. After a couple of iterations of jelly bean I think the new name signifies bigger changes to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Any idea of a release date yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

nedd wrote: »
    What's in a name? I like it too be honest!

Key lime pie never sat right with me and doesn't slip of the tongue.
    That kit Kat video is genius as well.

As for version number, it's just a number. After a couple of iterations of jelly bean I think the new name signifies bigger changes to come.
    The version number means it will be an incremental update though. Jelly Bean and Android 4.3 didn't bring any major changes to ICS, so I think its safe to assume 4.4 won't either. Which is a shame, because I was hoping to see something really new and fresh. But if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd imagine that they want 5.0 to launch as a genuine alternative to Windows (and to a lesser extent Ubuntu) otherwise Microsoft and Windows 8 tablets are gonna force them completely out of the tablet game without breaking a sweat over the course of the next 18 months.

It's becoming harder and harder to justify choosing an android tab over a windows one that'll run all your full laptop/desktop software.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

strobe wrote: »
    I'd imagine that they want 5.0 to launch as a genuine alternative to Windows (and to a lesser extent Ubuntu) otherwise Microsoft and Windows 8 tablets are gonna force them completely out of the tablet game without breaking a sweat over the course of the next 18 months.

It's becoming harder and harder to justify choosing an android tab over a windows one that'll run all your full laptop/desktop software.

Windows tablets are far pricier and not selling well at all from what I've seen. I have no idea how you have come to the conclusion that they will easily kill android in that space unless they up their game significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Didn't Microsoft have to take a massive writedown on their accounts for the failure of the Surface Window's 8 tablet to sell anywhere close to where they expected.

I would be more inclined to say they are more worried about iOS than Windows and Ubuntu doesn't even register. They probably decided that it was not a big enough development but they also were boxed into a corner in that every analyst expected version K any time soon. By announcing that KitKat is just building on Android 4.X they manage to move things on and buy time for the next big update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Windows 8 RT is pretty much dead. They are trying to push the pro version of the surface that runs full windows 8 but it's still overpriced for what it is. I still think a good ultrabook is better in every way for doing any serious work on.

It's not really a competitor to android at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yeah the surface tanked, too expensive with better cheaper tablets around.

That won't continue. Windows tablets will become more popular with more options from more manufacturers and the competition will pull the price into line and drive the quality and variety up. The gap between tablets and laptops is vanishing and I just can't see many people walking into a shop and being told "these two tablets are the same quality, cost the same, but this one will run all the software your laptops runs and this one won't run any of it" and choosing the second one.

If Google wanna be in the tablet game into 2015 they have to make Android into a viable alternative to the desktop OS.

The fact of the matter is there is no reason whatsoever that Google can't do this. Current tablets can run desktop OS's, future ones will do so without the slightest effort. They'd be insane not be be actively moving towards making A 5.0 a proper competitor to Windows. They kinda have to, it's the only real way forward, stagnation is the only alternative and would be suicide.

IMO etc... could be miles off.

Yeah the surface tanked, too expensive with better cheaper tablets around.

That won't continue. Windows tablets will become more popular with more options from more manufacturers and the competition will pull the price into line and drive the quality and variety up. The gap between tablets and laptops is vanishing and I just can't see many people walking into a shop and being told "these two tablets are the same quality, cost the same, but this one will run all the software your laptops runs and this one won't run any of it" and choosing the second one.

If Google wanna be in the tablet game into 2015 they have to make Android into a viable alternative to the desktop OS.

The fact of the matter is there is no reason whatsoever that Google can't do this. Current tablets can run desktop OS's, future ones will do so without the slightest effort. They'd be insane not be be actively moving towards making A 5.0 a proper competitor to Windows. They kinda have to, it's the only real way forward, stagnation is the only alternative and would be suicide.

IMO etc... could be miles off.

Surely they are taking strides the whole way into the OS game with the Chrome OS? its popping up a fair few places these days.... I'd say when its affordable, properly out there and free MS will have to think again about the OS space....

October 31st or thereabouts is what I'm hearing from an ITK Googler..... :cool:

Don't shoot the messenger if it's not bang on that date, they are "aiming for in or around then" according to her - this person has been busy away the last few weeks with work in the US, and has suddenly had a lot of free KitKats appearing in their abode lately.... ;)

So Nexus 5 available two weeks later? ;)

Did she share what to expect or any new features?

It's a mate's GF, I was talking to her through him over the phone yesterday, I mentioned the N5 and she went very coy and said "where did he hear that" and I said come on, at least confirm something for me and I got a "yes it is an LG"... :-)

If she gets one soon (she could well do!) I'll try get him to sneak a photo of it...

She hinted they were trying to get it for Irish market but that it most likely will be same story as previous N4, only uk play store etc....

I'll get it out of her when I see her next, she was in San Francisco the last couple of weeks.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Fieldog wrote: »
    It's a mate's GF, I was talking to her through him over the phone yesterday, I mentioned the N5 and she went very coy and said "where did he hear that" and I said come on, at least confirm something for me and I got a "yes it is an LG"... :-)

If she gets one soon (she could well do!) I'll try get him to sneak a photo of it...

She hinted they were trying to get it for Irish market but that it most likely will be same story as previous N4, only uk play store etc....

I'll get it out of her when I see her next, she was in San Francisco the last couple of weeks.... :)

I was under the impression that the rumoured N5 was defo not an LG?

• Advertisement

Cossax wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the rumoured N5 was defo not an LG?

Plenty of rumours over the summer it would be another LG device.
    The photo from the kit-kat announcement plus the FCC description also fit.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4699734/the-lg-nexus-5-with-lte-may-have-appeared-at-the-fcc

It is rumoured the nexus 10 replacement will not be a Samsung device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's a mats GF, I was talking to her through him over the phone yesterday, I mentioned the N5 and she went very coy and said "where did he hear that" and I said come on, at least confirm something for me and I got a "yes it is an LG"... :-)

Loving the info! If you can pull any more info please can you focus on : CPU (type) , RAM, screen type and/or Size and battery (removable/capacity)

I know we're not getting add on sd cards and the memory will be at least 16/32 GB so what's left is the interesting parts!

god's toy wrote: »
    Loving the info! If you can pull any more info please can you focus on : CPU (type) , RAM, screen type and/or Size and battery (removable/capacity)

I know we're not getting add on sd cards and the memory will be at least 16/32 GB so what's left is the interesting parts!

This is a girl we are talking about, she most likely wouldn't have a clue nor care for such info regarding the specs of the phone, sure she has an iPhone of all things :rolleyes:

I'm more interested in a peek at the OS if possible to see has anything changed.... (I doubt much has tbh)

I'll grill as much as I can next time I see her alright, she won't give out too much info to me mind you... tis more than her jobs-worth :)

I'll get him to work on her in the background for me though.... :P

This is a girl we are talking about, she most likely wouldn't have a clue nor care for such info regarding the specs of the phone, sure she has an iPhone of all things :rolleyes:

I'm more interested in a peek at the OS if possible to see has anything changed.... (I doubt much has tbh)

I'll grill as much as I can next time I see her alright, she won't give out too much info to me mind you... tis more than her jobs-worth :)

I'll get him to work on her in the background for me though.... :P

Good work Agent Fieldog. We await your next report with baited breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The firmware one listed there is a bit interesting seeing as Google appear to be side stepping this issue a bit by using Google Play Services to cut manufacturers and carriers out of the loop when it comes to supporting new features on older devices.

This is a good read on it:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/balky-carriers-and-slow-oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/#!

Essentially your phone evolves with Google Play services and end users no longer need to wait for their device to get the latest OS version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

First real Android 4.4 screenshots.
    Looks like totally new launcher design and refined lockscreen and icons.
    http://www.tuttoandroid.net/android/nexus-5-ed-android-4-4-kitkat-foto-dellinterfaccia-e-prime-impressioni-148548/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

ongarite wrote: »
    First real Android 4.4 screenshots.
    Looks like totally new launcher design and refined lockscreen and icons.
    http://www.tuttoandroid.net/android/nexus-5-ed-android-4-4-kitkat-foto-dellinterfaccia-e-prime-impressioni-148548/

Thanks for that, and it's actually pretty readable using Google translate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Looks like you'll be able to select your default SMS application now with all others being blocked from sending/receiving messages if they are not set as the default.

http://gearburn.com/2013/10/android-kitkat-will-let-you-choose-your-default-texting-app/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

telus-nexus5-2.png

Really liking the look of 4.4 if these pics are legit. Giving the home screen wallpaper the fullscreen treatment is nice, no more big black bars. Hangouts is in place of the old standard SMS App too in then pic, keeping the rumours consistent. Also the slightly altered folders look is quite nice, along with the translucent menu button. Just wish they'd push it out already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So this will be released onto my Samsung S4 via Meteor at some point?

niallo24 wrote: »

Once Google release it, then Samsung tweak it and hand it to Meteor so they can further test/tweak.

niallo24 wrote: »

As with all these updates it will take some time after it is released for Nexus devices to filter down to other manufacturer and carrier modified Androids, but I'd imagine the branded S4 devices will get it a few months after release in some modified form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement