Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC ONE-X v Samsung Galaxy S3

• 04-05-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I couldn't make up my mind until I feel the size and weight of the SIII the One X is pretty light considering it's size. I think that's what it really boils down to between these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just like between Sensation and S2, I think its just gonna be battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

HTC One X v SGS3 non scientific gut feeling scores from before breakie :)

Camera -HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    SOC (CPU+GPU) - HTC 7/10 SGS3 9/10
    Style - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    Micro SD Slot - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Replaceable Battery - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Battery Life - Have to see tests
    Screen - HTC 9/10 SGS3 8/10
    Sense v Touchwiz - Have to see what the new Sammy stuff is like to see if its as good as or better than improved sense.

Final Score - HTC 34 SGS3 31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think the camera on the sammy should get more marks as its a 'Back-side illuminated' type and with the photo software enhancements make it more beefed up a bit.
    I know people will point to the pentile vs lcd 2 display too and yes on paper it does look better for the HTC but i for one am not going to jump on anything until i get to see those screens myself. I don't know of any problems with the galaxy nexus display using the same screen running at those
    rsolutions.
    I think wireless charging and accessories help the sammy case too but that's not to suggest the HTC is anything but top of the heap right now and which ever one I end up getting I know I will be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Don't like the design of the S III at all, if it looked the same as the S II I'd have considered it more, think I'm going to go for One X.

S III features like calling when sending a text and their S Voice, while be good to show off once, don't think I'd use either to be honest.

And the whole eye recognition screen not turning off thing, surely while using any e-book app like kindle the screen doesn't time out, don't see the real life practicality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

Inquitus wrote: »
    HTC One X v SGS3 non scientific gut feeling scores from before breakie :)

SOC (CPU+GPU) - HTC 7/10 SGS3 9/10
    Style - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10
    Micro SD Slot - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Replaceable Battery - HTC 0/1 SGS3 1/1
    Battery Life - Have to see tests
    Screen - HTC 9/10 SGS3 8/10
    Sense v Touchwiz - Have to see what the new Sammy stuff is like to see if its as good as or better than improved sense.

Final Score - HTC 34 SGS3 31

Just woundering whats the huge advantage for HTC's camera?

omega666 wrote: »
    Just woundering whats the huge advantage for HTC's camera?

Camera - HTC 9/10 SGS3 6/10

Its got a much better lense f2.0 v f2.6 and a dedicated picture processor. The lense is one of the keys to taking good pictures, 16mp and a **** lense will be worse than 5mp and a quality lense for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-iphone-4s-htc-one-x-lumia-900/

initial comparison but some things may be incorrect such as the Sim in the GS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Design: prefer the look of the One X, but I hate the reach to the top for the power button. Much prefer that Samsung have located it on the side, as well as having a physical home button.

Apparently, according to hands-ons previews, the SGS3 continues to have that Samsungy feel. The SGS2 never felt good to me, but crucially I trusted it's sturdiness to withstand a drop - unlike the terribly fragile iPhone 4, which felt great in the hand. The One X has gotten great reviews for it's feel, but I honestly don't get it. It feels far more solid than the SGS2, but nothing like the premium sensation you get from the fellow polycarbonate Nokia N9/lumia 800.

The screen: I've said it before but the One X's screen is a marvel, it's the best screen I've seen. It's looking like the SG3's screen is a slightly enlarged GN panel, which is great but slightly overblown in colour reproduction for my liking.

The camera: Seems good on the One X. The SG3 is a refinement on the SG2s, which was also good. Honestly, I've never put much weight into quality of camera phone snaps. Unless they're poor I don't pay much attention.

Expandable storage is a definite win for the SGS3. The 32gb should suit most on the One X though. It still pisses me off that Android has this whole partition BS still going on for storage and apps. It's one thing I miss about iOS.

TouchWiz vs Sense: They can both **** off. Sense 4.0 is better than 3.5, but still please stop skinning Android. I will say the reading thing is intriguing, voice commands I'd never use - with the possible exception of "snooze"- because I've never seen anyone using siri in public and not look like a complete knob.

Honestly, for me it comes down to the screen. I am really disappointed at what was unveiled yesterday, I expected Samsung to blow HTC out of the water. Had it the rumoured ceramic enclosure and a PLUS display I'd have held off for a hands on, but as it stands I'm going with the X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Skerries wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-iphone-4s-htc-one-x-lumia-900/

initial comparison but some things may be incorrect such as the Sim in the GS3

It's also worth noting that that's the peasant american version of the oneX in the comparison, poor yanks got screwed

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that that's the peasant american version of the oneX in the comparison, poor yanks got screwed

I wouldn't touch a Tegra 3 One X over a Krait model If I were a yank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I really really don't get how people rate this styling, it'd super bland!

HTC%20One%20X.jpg

SIII is still bland but it does styling touches like around the physical button

Samsung-galaxy-3-pebble-blue.png

The SGS2 never felt good to me, but crucially I trusted it's sturdiness to withstand a drop - unlike the terribly fragile iPhone 4, which felt great in the hand. The One X has gotten great reviews for it's feel, but I honestly don't get it. It feels far more solid than the SGS2, but nothing like the premium sensation you get from the fellow polycarbonate Nokia N9/lumia 800.

Yep do agree. I remember picking up the galaxy s 2 for the first time and I was thinking 'oh my god this feels horrible, it has to go in a case' ... and it did, and still is...
    Also remember picking up the galaxy s 1 I'm thinking 'this feels nice' it looks like they may have gone back to the 'feel' of it for whatever reason. Hell I still pick up my wife's s1 and think it feels better to me than anything i ever felt before (phone-wise of course :-) )

Expandable storage is a definite win for the SGS3. The 32gb should suit most on the One X though. It still pisses me off that Android has this whole partition BS still going on for storage and apps. It's one thing I miss about iOS.

This is a huge plus for me as i need as much as the phone can offer. And dropbox 50gb for free (for 2 years) blows my mind ... That and a replaceable battery (with a bigger capacity mind you) really tempt me back to samsung once more.

TouchWiz vs Sense: They can both **** off. Sense 4.0 is better than 3.5, but still please stop skinning Android. .

Hell i gave up on those a long time ago. Nova launcher does a very good job of hiding overlays you don't need/like
    and you could always Rom it anyway.

Honestly, for me it comes down to the screen. I am really disappointed at what was unveiled yesterday, I expected Samsung to blow HTC out of the water. Had it the rumoured ceramic enclosure and a PLUS display I'd have held off for a hands on, but as it stands I'm going with the X.

Yea here too. I mean its what won me over to samsung in the first place and the gs2 was a improvement for sure.

It sunk my battleship when i seen that it was a pentile display on the s3 but on a few sites i was reading are saying that the pixels in the s3 are layed out in a diffrent way to the GN, this could mean less of a visual impact of using pentile technology? Maybe they found a compromise to satisfy most people?
    For sure i need more info on this before i count the gs3 out at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Styling: One X
    Physical buttons: S3 (power button on side and physical button is a huge win for me)
    OS: Would probably not use either stock Sense or Touchwiz - Something from XDA
    Overall size: Both probably too big for me (the weight of the One X is fine though)
    Random: Removable battery and expandable storage huge win for S3

Verdict: Doubt I will get either. High end phone in a 4 inch screen form factor please HTC, Samsung etc.

I think the S3 is only 3g heavier than the one-x.

If they could squeeze all the one-x goodies into an originaal desire i'd buy it in a second

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I really really don't get how people rate this styling, it'd super bland!

HTC%20One%20X.jpg

SIII is still bland but it does styling touches like around the physical button

Samsung-galaxy-3-pebble-blue.png

I don't care for the One X in grey or black, but it really pops in white. Hate the SGS2 in white, think it's quite nasty looking with the chrome. The white note look great as does the GN, but the photos of the white SGS3 looked really poor. There the pebble blue SGS3 looks well... cheap, there's nothing there that conveys it's status as the premium Samsung device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The biggest draw for me is the 64gb internal storage. That was the reason I got an iPhone 4S - so I didn't have to carry a phone and an MP3 player.

Only worry is that we get stuck with the bog standard 16gb version over here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Despite my initial reservations about the design...the pebble blue GS3 is really starting to grow on me.

From what I can see, the main points of the device are:

- S-Voice.
    - S-Beam + NFC.
    - The fact that the screen stays on while you're looking at it and don't have to keep tapping.. that's annoying.
    - Twice the processing performance and 65% improved graphics.
    - Improved call quality.
    - Larger HD screen.
    - Much improved camera system.
    - Much larger battery.
    - Much better browser performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

theteal wrote: »

How so? What I read showed the yank version benchmarking higher with the battery lasting significantly longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How so? What I read showed the yank version benchmarking higher with the battery lasting significantly longer.
    I think that's a tiny bit of an overstatement. In day to day use, there's very little noticeable difference between all three phones. The biggest difference i'd say would be the exclusive games available on the Tegra platform like Dark Meadow. Considering the game is more or less graphically equal to a PS3 game and runs perfectly fluid I think that in practice it will be difficult to say the Tegra 3 is anything but a great SoC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

This is turning into the Apple Vs Android.

I think the HTC one improved massively from what they previously had put out.
    While on the other hand the Galaxy S3 is at that level and improved on that again.

People seem to be disappointed because of the improvements the HTC produced and expected the same from Samsung.

I think the Galaxy S3 will be far in a way better overall with the added features and accessories that can be purchased. Really liked the look of the MP3 player.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I think the Galaxy S3 will be far in a way better overall with the added features and accessories that can be purchased. Really liked the look of the MP3 player.

An MP3 player that can only be synced with your phone, LOL talk about utterly useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

With the mass storage the S3 offers why would you need it to sync with anything else?

god's toy wrote: »

Its a riposte to this

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998464/how-samsung-broke-my-heart

which ends
    At best, Samsung matched the HTC One X. At worst, it indulged in a two-month delay of an MWC-worthy device, stoked a frenzy of anticipation that was unjustified by the eventual product, and jeopardized the still fragile growth of its brand reputation among smartphone enthusiasts. I'll leave you to decide which extreme I'm gravitating toward.

Which I think sums up the SGS3 perfectly.

That sums up my feelings exactly. Far too much hype with far too little to warrant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It was definitely overhyped, absolutely no doubt about that. I think Samsung may have thought a bit too much about how much people really care about things like S-voice or whatever that is, and all the other S-stuff.. Most people don't even use that stuff I'm convinced.

Then again, saying it only matches the One X isn't fair either. Okay, on first impressions the ONE X may feel nicer in the hand, on first impression, but people would have said exactly the same thing if they compared the Sensation and the S2. The 'light' feeling phone with the removable plastic cover is how Samsung did the S1 and S2, why wouldnt they do that with the S3. In other respects, the chip is more powerful, the battery life will 'probably' be better and the inclusion of the microSD slot is nice. In those respects it is better. In what area is it behind the ONE X? The camera isn't as good apparently, this is surely yet to be verified, and i'd expect the difference to be slight, at best. other than that though, there is effectively nothing the ONE X does better.

And another thing, I had a play with a ONE X in a meteor shop today, I'll be honest, I still far prefer AMOLED to SLCD, no doubt about that whatsoever. i also think the One X is far too big, so I obviously think the same about the S3. my favourite phone so far this year is the ONE S(First HTC with an AMOLED in since early Desire's too..), but the lack of microSD is really putting me off. In terms of size and feel though, its a gorgeous phone, super slim to boot.. its probably a toss up between that and the S2 for my next phone. I'm kinda waiting to see if Samsung release an updated S2 or something, I strongly expect they will.. Or last year, they released a little known phone called the Galaxy R. hopefully they will this time round too. I have big enough hands and i don't fancy the 4.7/4.8* phones. I suspect theres plenty more around like me in that respect..

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It was definitely overhyped, absolutely no doubt about that. I think Samsung may have thought a bit too much about how much people really care about things like S-voice or whatever that is, and all the other S-stuff.. Most people don't even use that stuff I'm convinced.

Then again, saying it only matches the One X isn't fair either. Okay, on first impressions the ONE X may feel nicer in the hand, on first impression, but people would have said exactly the same thing if they compared the Sensation and the S2. The 'light' feeling phone with the removable plastic cover is how Samsung did the S1 and S2, why wouldnt they do that with the S3. In other respects, the chip is more powerful, the battery life will 'probably' be better and the inclusion of the microSD slot is nice. In those respects it is better. In what area is it behind the ONE X? The camera isn't as good apparently, this is surely yet to be verified, and i'd expect the difference to be slight, at best. other than that though, there is effectively nothing the ONE X does better.

Better Screen, better Camera, better Design.

And Tegra 3 exclusives like Dark Meadow. The graphics in that came could even rival some PS3 games. Seeing as how that game runs fluidly on the Tegra 3 I don't think the difference in raw SoC power is that big of a deal.

• Advertisement

And Tegra 3 exclusives like Dark Meadow. The graphics in that came could even rival some PS3 games. Seeing as how that game runs fluidly on the Tegra 3 I don't think the difference in raw SoC power is that big of a deal.
    I think you mentioned that game once or twice before :p

Four times now actually :D

Graphics aside, it's quite a good game. I'd recommend it but seeing as how you're getting an S3 :pac:

But you will admit that the screen and design are a matter of preference?

Some would say an OLED panel will always be more advanced than a LCD panel, pentile or not. Its not as if its exactly the same as the screen in the S1, engadget did a comparison

The design thing has been done to death at this stage, the S3 is still slimmer..

The design thing has been done to death at this stage, the S3 is still slimmer..
    If we're being that picky, the X is lighter despite using far more substantial plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Better Screen - Firstly none of us have seen it yet and secondly if the htc's is better it will only be slightly.

Better Camera - Hasn't been tested yet either

Better Design - thats just personal preference

I feel people where expecting too much from the S3 but when it is realised i think it will be the best phone, it has a lot going for it, better benchmarks, removeable battery, micro sd slot, bigger battery capacity.

With nearly every new phone this year reviews say the disadvantages are all the things ive just mentioned the s3 has. I think when its released it will be the best overall package and the design is only personal preference.

If we're being that picky, the X is lighter despite using far more substantial plastic.
    2 grams!! :D

And no, I don't think things have gone that bad yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Ok I have a question about the Samsung If anybody has an idea.

i know very little about phones, I couldn't careless what size of camera they have etc.

I own an iphone 4 and have a Galaxy Ace too. One for work the other as a personal phone. I like the way the Galaxy works but the battery is absolutely dire.

Ok heres the question

Is the S3 similar to the Ace in its operation and would I have to charge it every 5 minutes ?

Firegaurd wrote: »
    Ok I have a question about the Samsung If anybody has an idea.

i know very little about phones, I couldn't careless what size of camera they have etc.

I own an iphone 4 and have a Galaxy Ace too. One for work the other as a personal phone. I like the way the Galaxy works but the battery is absolutely dire.

Ok heres the question

Is the S3 similar to the Ace in its operation and would I have to charge it every 5 minutes ?
    How bad is bad, we would need to know?

Four times now actually :D

Graphics aside, it's quite a good game. I'd recommend it but seeing as how you're getting an S3 :pac:
    I'm actually not! I've just been defending it against unnecessary criticism.

Having seen the pic of the S2 and S3 together I think the S3 I'd far to big for me

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

How bad is bad, we would need to know?
    If its fully charged in the morning I would have to charge it again by mid afternoon, admittedly I would be on it a lot but the iphone battery is far superior on the same usage and it charges far quicker too.

Sounds like something is up there. The Ace is not that powerful a phone, by any stretch, it should be well able to manage a full day of heavy usage.. IIRC, many reviews praised the Ace for its battery life

• Advertisement

A good post on the matter.

A good post on the matter.

Nice link.

Some interesting info regarding the camera/video although tbh it doesn't really bother me, as long as the quality is good enough i'm happy. So with both having fast camera + pic while recording i don't mind either way.

Screen i think is going to come down to willy waving and is not going to make any odds day to day.

Interestingly in the pic with the SII and SIII side by side it doesn't look as big in another pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It's too big for me. The rounded edges don't help. It looks like it's bulging out further, where the S2 is a much neater package.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I really can't make my mind up!

I was on the verge of purchasing the HOX a few times over the last few days but I have held off.
    I just want to get to see the SGS3 in the flesh.

I honestly think i'll be happy with either, but if I buy one I'll want the other one :rolleyes:

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I really can't make my mind up!

I was on the verge of purchasing the HOX a few times over the last few days but I have held off.
    I just want to get to see the SGS3 in the flesh.

I honestly think i'll be happy with either, but if I buy one I'll want the other one :rolleyes:

Grass is always Greener eh? ;)

Yep here too, for me it's the screen that I want to see more than anything!

The HTC screen is fantastic for sure but it's those lack of things are holding me back. The pentile matrix in the GS3 on the other hand 'should' not be noticeable at those resolutions BUT I still want to see for myself... I mean, in everyday use I wont be super zooming in on white text on black background so I'm ok if that's what it comes down too.

Also I keep going back and forth on Blue or White! in some shots it looks fab in white but in others blue is the winner but then the blue looks to light for my liking.. grrr... lol can you one x in black? for that matter the GS3 in black too!

I think some hands on time is needed with all versions.

god's toy wrote: »
    The pentile matrix in the GS3 on the other hand 'should' not be noticeable at those resolutions BUT I still want to see for myself... I mean, in everyday use I wont be super zooming in on white text on black background so I'm ok if that's what it comes down too.

The Pentile matrix is noticeable on the galaxy nexus, so it will be more noticeable on the SGS3 which has a lower ppi.

Someone posted a camera comparison between the S3 and One X.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25748405&postcount=6

Here's a sample of one of the comparison shots:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC One X

Some of the pictures on the S3 would make you wonder if Samsung cheaped out on some of the hardware components and tried to sell the phone on software and the spec sheet. It's either that or the camera software still needs a bit of work.

Someone posted a camera comparison between the S3 and One X.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25748405&postcount=6

Here's a sample of one of the comparison shots:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC One X

Some of the pictures on the S3 would make you wonder if Samsung cheaped out on some of the hardware components and tried to sell the phone on software and the spec sheet. It's either that or the camera software still needs a bit of work.

Wow if thats legit the S3 camera is shocking compared to the One X

Definitely a difference between them alright. I'll have to have a better look on the laptop instead of the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement