Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos 10" Tablet Looking for advice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

srsly78 wrote: »
    People should know that if they aren't willing to do that little bit of tweaking the device isn't worth buying imo. What's the point of an android device without android market? The archos market has very limited selection, however it does have stuff that is optimised for 1024x600, unlike the android market.

What do people think are the chances of the big G deciding to boot Archos devices out of the market cos they're not "phones"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

long_b wrote: »
    What do people think are the chances of the big G deciding to boot Archos devices out of the market cos they're not "phones"?

Crazy

The whole big fiasco with Android was that it was unrestrictive, open source and available for everyone.

Why would they take it from devices?

Thats very Apple-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

As long as they can make their money from add revenue then they'll leave it on devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

long_b wrote: »

You may have missed the point -.- Archos doesn't come with google market! So how can it be booted out? You must install it yourself. Google don't stop anyone from doing this. It's for legal reasons, device does not meet requirements (has no GPS). With newer versions of android google are changing requirements to "should have" rather than "must have".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Corholio wrote: »
    I heard that some people have done that alright, but no I didn't. The problem is still continuing unfortunately, it shows the battery icon chargig in the corner of the screen but it remains the same percentage even after hours of it charging.

Archos forum has a fair few other people with the same problem, so annoying cos it's a great little device :(

With mine the only way i know it will charge every time is to do this :

1. Power off ( you must select power off when you hold in the power button .. not just turn the screen off)
    2. Connect power cable
    3. Power on and leave.

• Advertisement

Mine is charging fine, but the wifi doesn't turn off automatically. Just turn it off and then it will be fine. Can use SetCPU or other battery apps to manage this, but I just do it manually now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Let me reiterate what I said earlier:

Install google market+apps from here: http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list Get gapp4archos v5 final.

Then REBOOT.

Now use google market to install launcher pro.

If you don't do this you are only getting 25% of it's capability :)

Sorry about making you repeat yourself i managed to totally miss that the first time you said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You may have missed the point -.- Archos doesn't come with google market! So how can it be booted out? You must install it yourself. Google don't stop anyone from doing this. It's for legal reasons, device does not meet requirements (has no GPS). With newer versions of android google are changing requirements to "should have" rather than "must have".

Thanks again fro the tip to download google market on the 101, done it and its working fine.

For some reason I cant find launcher pro when i search for it in the market though?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

This might sound like a stupid question but can you hook this up to a printer and print stuff off it, eg a page from the internet ?

Printing: not at the moment I think, missing drivers. Modders are working on it tho. I think have 3g dongle working, but only with custom rom.

Launcher Pro: Hmm the guy updated it, and it isn't showing for me either. His website is down also. Here is a copy of mine: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/LauncherPro-0.8.1.1.apk Note that's the free version, so no moaning about piracy please! Once you have that installed it will update etc as normal on market.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

This might sound like a stupid question but can you hook this up to a printer and print stuff off it, eg a page from the internet ?

You can get apps to allow printing. I haven't played with this myself but it looks interesting.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/printershare%E2%84%A2-mobile-print/com.dynamixsoftware.printershare

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Hi folks, could anyone who got a 101 recently confirm what version of Android it shipped with ? Thanks.

Came with 2.1, and updated to 2.2 automatically as soon as connected to internet. Maybe newer ones come with 2.2 preinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

any chance of the price of the 101 coming down soon seeing as how many tablets are coming out after CES?

Probably, they will likely come out with their own tegra2 version as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

this might be a silly question but is it safe to do banking online using this?? would it be as safe as a laptop or pc also what wire would i have to buy so i can connect it to my pc have a lot of books on it id like to transfer to the archos

thanks

It's as safe as using a pc browser over wifi connection. Maybe safer because there is less malware available for newer platforms. It uses standard microusb -> usb cable, same as most mobile phones these days. Connect it to PC with this. Won't charge off it tho. It comes with this ubiquitous cable. You can also copy stuff via wifi, it comes with builtin file/network explorer that can see local workgroup and windows media pcs.

Its my bday next week, thinking of treating myself to one, hows everyone getting on with theirs? I know there is probably something new just around the corner but really stuck for internet access at the mo and dont really need a cd drive or that so think this might be a good inbetweener til i get funds together to buy myself a good laptop later in the year

I don't use mine that much, it's just for development really. Handy to have as a pdf-reader beside PC tho. Flatmates borrow it sometimes and they like it. It passed the "auld wan" test at a family dinner. Old aunty was able to plug into usb stick with photos and show them to everyone, it "just worked". Didn't even have to help.

Problems with it I have noticed:
    Flash works but is so slow it's unusable. We are expecting a firmware update with an optimised flash plugin soon.
    Grooveshark app doesn't work for me >.<
    Wifi doesn't seem to turn itself off when device goes asleep, which means if you leave it overnight the battery will die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I don't use mine that much, it's just for development really. Handy to have as a pdf-reader beside PC tho.

That bit's interesting to me. Can you view an A4 PDF document comfortably on it. i.e. one page per screen with no scrolling around it or do you have to magnify them like I would on a smaller screen.

• Advertisement

Yes it works fine, and you are free to zoom if you need. However... Android doesn't support 1024x600 yet, need gingerbread 2.3 for that. It's scaling it up from 800x480 at the moment. Will get even better in future when that's fixed.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I bought the 101 8gb version for €269 in xtravision last week, this device gets better and better with each new tweak

That's not a bad price, it's 299 in my local gamestop, never thought to check xtra vision, have really itchy fingers to buy one of these

Advertisement