Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos 10" Tablet Looking for advice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Corholio wrote: »
    Thats a very interesting option. How does it work with topping up on pay as you go etc if there's no software to install? Does it just pick up the vodafone signal and bring up a top up page or something?

I don't know. Can you not just top these up like you can top up a Pay As You Go Phone (i.e. from your bank account or from vodafone.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

srsly78 wrote: »
    It will tether via bluetooth / usb / wifi to most phones as well.

I havent had a whole lot of experience with tethering, does it pick up a wi-fi signal through the phone then? Thats very handy if free wi-fi is available definitely. Cheers for that.

But if it's not, I dont really wanna be paying for things like Bitbuzz, that's why the Vodafone dongle is handy and cost effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It turns your dongle into a WiFi router.
    You'll just see a new WiFi network on your Archos. It doesn't matter that it's on a dongle. Your Archos won't know or care. Your phone is not involved with the link I posted. Just the dongle that you already have.

Tethering is a term normally used for sharing your phones broadband with a laptop / tablet. In that sense it's not relevant for what you want to do.

It turns your dongle into a WiFi router.
    You'll just see a new WiFi network on your Archos. It doesn't matter that it's on a dongle. Your Archos won't know or care. Your phone is not involved with the link I posted. Just the dongle that you already have.

Tethering is a term used for sharing your phones broadband with a laptop / tablet. It's not relevant for this.

Oh ya I know I was just responding to srsly 78's post about tethering, i know the mobile wi-fi has nothing to do with tethering.

I didn't think you even needed a dongle for the mobile wi-fi, not that it matters, but it dosent seem to state that on the website.

Regards your earlier post about topping up, maybe you can top it up another ways besides the software i currently have on my laptop, if I could then it would solve the problem definitely.

I wonder can you put the sim I have for the dongle into the mobile wi-fi and manually install the software on the Archos?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

...there is the Archos 70, pretty much the same tablet but with 7" screen. Maybe even cheaper too?

Powercity have it down to 220eur (8gb version).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Thinking about buying this. One question though: Is there any android tablet specific apps or are all the apps basically the same as on an android phone? I know the ipad has extra apps than an iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

niallo24 wrote: »
    Thinking about buying this. One question though: Is there any android tablet specific apps or are all the apps basically the same as on an android phone? I know the ipad has extra apps than an iphone.

The apps are all the same as the phone just blown up for a bigger screen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What apps work well on an android tablet? Can't imagine much, Tweetdeck I suppose.

Think I'll be going with Apple when they release the iPad 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What apps work well on an android tablet? Can't imagine much,

ereader : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWeVM0s_0o

games : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxkEki-RmE

flash : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7vsDjAi828

Archos 101 HDMI Out to TV playing Movies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stURY60QXZ8

video (720p) streaming over a wireless n connection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru3zvHQLuU

what apps did you mean ?

Still cnat pull myself to buy one.

God some hands on time and its pretty impressive.

I'd pick it over the Samsung galaxy every day of the weak, and I'd pick it over the Ipad for the fact its not apple.

But when I sit in my room on my pc and my laptop on my bed I'm like " why do I need a tablet" and just dont have an answer for it :(

Hopefully I'll see a feature that blows my mind and I'm straight down to peats/smyths to pick one up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Powercity have it down to 220eur (8gb version).
    Had a go of it yesterday, lovely unit but for me its too small, I'd have to have the 10"

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

TheDoc wrote: »
    ...But when I sit in my room on my pc and my laptop on my bed I'm like " why do I need a tablet" and just dont have an answer for it :( ...

People that got one because they "needed it"... bet you there are very few. For some it's checking out the whole android thing, but mostly it's just blowing the dough on another cool gadget. People (like yourself) who stop to think for a minute before shelling out the cash are retailers's worst nightmare. ;)

But if you find a reason good enough, do share*...

*says me, while typing this on a laptop from the couch, android phone beside me and in the corner I can see my desktop... and still thinking "I could use 101".

zod wrote: »
    ereader : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWeVM0s_0o

games : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxkEki-RmE

flash : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7vsDjAi828

Archos 101 HDMI Out to TV playing Movies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stURY60QXZ8

video (720p) streaming over a wireless n connection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru3zvHQLuU

what apps did you mean ?
    I mean the top-end, highly usable, mainstream apps which are still missing within the android market. I feel I'd miss these apps more on a tablet than on a phone.

Aldiko is a good shout though, it's one of the few that stands out.

I think Flipboard alone would be enough to chose an iPad over an android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think Flipboard alone would be enough to chose an iPad over an android tablet.

Meh - hardly so - it's just another way of showing facebook updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

pulse is quite good use it all the time does facebook and most major news sources

video here .. (dont see an android video one up there but its the same experience on the archos)

interested to know what these "top-end, highly usable, mainstream apps" are though because I'm interested in seeing if there are equivalents.. thanks

Meh - hardly so - it's just another way of showing facebook updates.
    Not at all, I consume all my news through RSS and Twitter feeds at the moment so to gather all those linked articles together in a magazine format sounds perfect.

It's the main reason why I'd purchase a tablet tbh.

I would love to see something similar on android but I think iPad apps will continue to lead the way for the foreseeable future.

zod wrote: »
    pulse is quite good use it all the time does facebook and most major news sources

video here .. (dont see an android video one up there but its the same experience on the archos)

interested to know what these "top-end, highly usable, mainstream apps" are though because I'm interested in seeing if there are equivalents.. thanks
    Looks good, and it's great to see developers release their apps across both platforms.

If everybody was to do the same then I'd happily go with Android.

I dont know a lot about tethering so i've an uneducated question.

Is there anyway to get the sim in a Vodafone USB dongle to work via tethering, using the same data packages i.e 1 day pass, 30 day pass. I know tethering will use your phone to access internet via data, but I dont really know how this part all works.

Im asking this cos, for the moment, USB dongle's don't work on the Archos. So i'm looking for an alternative without paying a lot for data, or if possible, using the same Vodafone data pass's as I do in the dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have a meteor simcard in my Desire, with 10GB allowance (e25/m). To tether I create a wifi hotspot. Even old phones can tether via bluetooth etc. Best value data contract this way.

I have a meteor simcard in my Desire, with 10GB allowance (e25/m). To tether I create a wifi hotspot. Even old phones can tether via bluetooth etc. Best value data contract this way.

Thanks a lot for that, appreciate it.

I finally went out and purchased the Archos and it is currently charging. Reading your posts definitely helped make up my mind about it.

So now that I have it, what would you recommend doing to it to optimise it?

• Advertisement

Install google market+apps from here: http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list Get gapp4archos v5 final.

Then REBOOT.

Now use google market to install launcher pro.

Done.

Install google market+apps from here: http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list Get gapp4archos v5 final.

Then REBOOT.

Done.

Thanks a lot. Probably a retarded question lol but dont wanna brick it or anything, but by reboot, you mean restart?

Yes, reboot means restart. Power off, and then back on. Important step, don't forget. If you try to use the newly installed market before rebooting you will have to do a full reset (wipe everything).

Yes, reboot means restart. Power off, and then back on. Important step, don't forget. If you try to use the newly installed market before rebooting you will have to do a full reset (wipe everything).

Nice one, thanks.

Use it a little today and it's a great little device. Had a problem with the charging of it though, let it charge overnight, for maybe 10 hours, and turned it on and it said it was only at 41% charge. Updated the firmware and its charging now again so hopefully this might fix the problem.

Whether it was actually charged and it was showing me the charge perentage wrong I dont know, ive heard this can happen sometimes on the 101.

I bet you plugged the power cable into the headphone socket. Don't worry everyone does it too, sockets look the same.

I bet you plugged the power cable into the headphone socket. Don't worry everyone does it too, sockets look the same.

I heard that some people have done that alright, but no I didn't. The problem is still continuing unfortunately, it shows the battery icon chargig in the corner of the screen but it remains the same percentage even after hours of it charging.

Archos forum has a fair few other people with the same problem, so annoying cos it's a great little device :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

i got one for xmas mainly to use for facebook cause i have no laptop asked for laptop but this is what i got. i find it very very slow especially for facebook and only apps i seem to be able to get on it are really small ones from appslib.com

is there a better way to get apps on it and is there a facebook app that i just cant find? also is anyone elses slow im guessin mine is cause crap internet but should have eircom soon hopefully that will speed it up a bit!

danois wrote: »
    i got one for xmas mainly to use for facebook cause i have no laptop asked for laptop but this is what i got. i find it very very slow especially for facebook and only apps i seem to be able to get on it are really small ones from appslib.com

is there a better way to get apps on it and is there a facebook app that i just cant find? also is anyone elses slow im guessin mine is cause crap internet but should have eircom soon hopefully that will speed it up a bit!

Let me reiterate what I said earlier:

Install google market+apps from here: http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list Get gapp4archos v5 final.

Then REBOOT.

If you don't do this you are only getting 25% of it's capability :)

Let me reiterate what I said earlier:

Install google market+apps from here: http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list Get gapp4archos v5 final.

Then REBOOT.

If you don't do this you are only getting 25% of it's capability :)

Have to say fair play to you, I've been tweeting a fair bit about the device and a few friends have picked it up and with your advice have been thrilled with the Archos 10 inch.

I think everyone is a little " ooo i dont know" because it is not a mainstream brand (despite pretty much inventing media players )

But they definitly seem a good purchase.

I havnt picked one up because weighing the potential usage it doesnt seem plausible to spend 300 euro on it, but if the time arises I'll pick one up but my mind has definitly being put at ease and if I do purchase I'll be going Archos.

• Advertisement

People should know that if they aren't willing to do that little bit of tweaking the device isn't worth buying imo. What's the point of an android device without android market? The archos market has very limited selection, however it does have stuff that is optimised for 1024x600, unlike the android market.

Advertisement