Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping Scandal

• 25-02-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Apparently one of the Scottish players failed a drug test after the Ireland game. News Conference at 11.15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

must have taken downers and not anything to enhance their game :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

More bad news for them, they could've done without this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ah sure they are all at it, he just f*cked up his doping protocol, some doctor will be let go for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

One crazy lock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

According to BBC it looks like a clerical error;
    A Scotland rugby union player has been retrospectively cleared of failing a doping test after a form-filling error, BBC Sport understands.

The drug involved is understood to be Terbutaline, which is a prescribed asthma medication.

Scottish Rugby will hold a news conference at Murrayfield at 1115 GMT.

More to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Scott McLeod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

tunney wrote: »
    Ah sure they are all at it, he just f*cked up his doping protocol, some doctor will be let go for this!
    :rolleyes:

Looks like a form filler will be let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

He's been cleared, apparently some unsanctioned asthma medication..may have been a steroid as an asthma attack often treated with this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

toomevara wrote: »
    He's been cleared, apparently some unsanctioned asthma medication..may have been a steroid as an asthma attack often treated with this....

Yup do some research and you ll see a hell of alot of wingers have "asthma"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

There's an awful lot of exercise induced asthma though. I wouldn't be so cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Its like the Frankie Sheehan scandal all over again. What a let down.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Yup do some research and you ll see a hell of alot of wingers have "asthma"

Yes, remarkable that, but in fairness i've got it myself and take a steroid inhaler before any vigorous exercise..it isn't performance enhancing just lets me compete on a level playing field, without it sport wouldnt be an option for me.

Also bear in mind that in the developed world the incidence of asthma (I work with people who have it/contract it on a daily basis...and remember you yourself, could, God forbid, develop it tomorrow) is going through the roof so you'll always have a proportion of guys on a team who are, to a lesser or greater extent asthmatic and take combinations of drugs, usually inhalers steroid/salbutamol to allow them to play their sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yes but at this stage would you know you have to declare it? I would and most others would too. I find it difficult to believe that somebody wouldn't have known they didn't have to declare that to be honest

jdivision wrote: »
    Yes but at this stage would you know you have to declare it? I would and most others would too. I find it difficult to believe that somebody wouldn't have known they didn't have to declare that to be honest

From the BBC website today...TBH I take it at face value, don't think there's anything sinister here at all:

"A statement released by Scottish Rugby said: "The judicial committee accepted that MacLeod's use of the drug was not intended to enhance performance.

"In the circumstances the player was administered the minimum sanction of a warning and a reprimand."

The player had previously obtained a TUE for Terbutaline.

But at the time his current medical declaration form was issued in 2006, he was using an alternative called Salbutamol, as Terbutaline was unavailable.

And MacLeod explained he refers to the medicine by one of its brand names, Bricanyl.

"I actually specified at the time I gave the urine sample that I was taking Bricanyl, so it was quite a shock," he said.

"I thought the main thing on the TUE form was specifying that I have asthma and that I take a reliever. It was just a silly thing like that.

"I've had asthma since I was a toddler and I've never left the house without an inhaler since the age of five.

"I definitely couldn't play sports without having one on me at all times."

Advertisement