Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules Question

• 24-02-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi was wondeing would clear up a query from a mate i've had.

during a lineout is it allowable under union rules to have contact with an opposing player. i know that you cannot close the gap until the ball has been thrown in (am i right?) but is it permissable to touch or have contact with an opposing player when the ball in in flight or has been caught? :confused:

cheers for any help .....
    scobius

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭what say what?

This should help

When a line-out is taking place, any player in the line-out must NOT

(a) stand within five metres of the touch-line or prevent the ball from being thrown five metres (F.K.), or F.K.

(b) be off-side (P.K.), or P.K.

(c) use an opponent as a support to enable him to jump for the ball (P.K.), or
    P.K.

(d) hold, push, charge, obstruct or grasp an opponent not holding the ball, except when a ruck or a maul is taking place (P.K.), or P.K.

(e) charge an opponent except in an attempt to tackle him or to play the ball (P.K.), or
    P.K.

(f) use any player of his team as a support to enable him to jump for the ball (F.K.), or
    F.K.

(g) lift a player of his team (F.K.), or F.K.

(h) support any player of his team before this player has jumped for the ball (F.K.), or
    F.K.

(i) hold a supported player below the waist (P.K.). P.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

brilliant :D, where did you get that from if you don't mind?

I cant quite remember what i typed into google but here's the irb link

http://www.irb.com/lawregulations/laws/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

excellent, exactly what i needed .... cheers

no worries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

(i) hold a supported player below the waist (P.K.). P.K.

:confused::confused:

Since when does this not happen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Scobius90 wrote: »
    Hi was wondeing would clear up a query from a mate i've had.

during a lineout is it allowable under union rules to have contact with an opposing player. i know that you cannot close the gap until the ball has been thrown in (am i right?) but is it permissable to touch or have contact with an opposing player when the ball in in flight or has been caught? :confused:

cheers for any help .....
    scobius
    Before ball is thrown in - no way it would be a penalty.
    After the ball is thrown in - if it 's when the jump it's not ok, but ref's will generally let it go, unless it's dangerous.
    When they return to ground is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Incidentally, under the new IRB rules as being used in the Super 14 at the moment "pre-binding" is allowed in the lineouts and collapsing of the maul is also permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Not quite besty - the maul rule isn't being trialled in the super 14.

Advertisement