Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Memories

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Whats your favourite game you have seen or been to and why?

for me it was the Ireland/ All Blacks game back in 97....my first international....there were people sitting on the edge of the field that day in Lansdowne.....amazing atmosphere not to mention the haka etc...had our asses handed to us that afternoon...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

rockman15 wrote: »
    Whats your favourite game you have seen or been to and why?

for me it was the Ireland/ All Blacks game back in 97....my first international....there were people sitting on the edge of the field that day in Lansdowne.....amazing atmosphere not to mention the haka etc...had our asses handed to us that afternoon...

I watched that NZ match in a pub in Brussells - it was the afternoon of the 2nd leg of the 1998 World Cup play off loss v. Belguim

As for enjoyable games Ive seen - on TV it would be either BOD's game in Paris or the first test for the Lions in Australia when BOD scored. Another memorable one would be the championship opener at Murrayfield in 1985. We had a new coach, a substantially new back line, and Hugo McNeill scored a running try practically straight from the kick off. We had been in the doldrums before that match as well and the style in which the win was achieved was unusual for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

My 1st memory of rugby that really sticks with me was my 1st international game I was at, we were sitting on the side lines of lansdowne Road, literally at the try line, When Michael Lynagh for Australia crossed the line in the last 10 mins to beat Ireland in the Quarter Finals of the RWC. We had been leading by 3 points at the time, I think I was 6 and i /cried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Watching Ireland beat England in Twickenham in 2004. I was sat in my one of my favourite pubs with my girlfriend and one of my best friends. The sun was streaming through the windows. I had a frosty pint and I couldn't believe what I was watching. When I lest the pub on that sunny Spring day, all seemed right with the world. :)
    Also watching my school lose the cup yet again in the Sportsgrounds in Galway. It was a crap result, but the whole day sticks with me. Happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Sitting in a bar in the ski resort of Livigno in 2004 watching ireland beat the world champions in their own "Fortress". Pure Class. The resort was full of english too.

Mind you standing in the pissing rain in Cork watching Leinster beat Munster before Christmas was a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

2006 HC semi Leinster vs. Munster, and drowning my sorrows while my girlfriend at the time, a munster girl, rubbed it in to the max.

Never said they had to be good rugby memories :)

2004 HC quarter final - first match when i started going to them a lot.

that 2000 Ba-ba's game - fantastic.

This year Barbarians vs. SA, definitely one I think will go down in my memory as just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

One of the best, Ireland V England, 1985, Lansdowne, to win the triple crown....amazing...the day I became a rugby fanatic, lansdowne was fabulous that day....

Two of the worst, Campese's last minute try in the 91 world cup at Lansdowne, don't think I've ever felt an atmosphere like it at Landsdowne...total euphoria to funereal mourning in the space of a minute...and sitting in a bar in Camden watching ireland getting dumped out of the WC by Argentina in Lens in 1999....Feel sick just thinking about both those games....

Actually I remember that argentina game vividly - I was in the pub with my brother and dad to watch it, and felt sick by the end of it :p

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Actually I remember that argentina game vividly - I was in the pub with my brother and dad to watch it, and felt sick by the end of it :p

Jesus, I think I've got PTSD re: that game, oh the horror...of course being surrounded by hordes of English laughing at my pathetic entreaties to God, the baby Jesus and his mother mary to intervene didn't help....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

There are so many but here are some that spring to mind...

Intl - Simon Geoghegan's try against England in 1994. Irish rugby was not in a nice place at that particular time but this guy was a shining light.

Provincial - has to be Munster's win over Biarritz in 2006. What a day.

Club - Barnhall gaining promotion to AIL Div 4 and joining the senior ranks back in 1998. Things not going too well at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

madds wrote: »

Provincial - has to be Munster's win over Biarritz in 2006. What a day.

Yes, of course - that game was unique for the unbelievable tension - I wouldnt say it was enjoyable to watch exactly, but as an occasion I cant recall many more dramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

think i cried when we lost to Argentina in 99.

Best memory was watching BOD score in the first Lions test in 2001.
    Worst was losing to Oz in the Third test and getting nothing but bad natured abuse from the **** in the stands of Stadium Australia

RuggieBear wrote: »
    think i cried when we lost to Argentina in 99.

I know I did.....oh the horror.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wales v Ireland in Wembley in 1999 - one of Woody's finest days! The old Wembley actually made a great ground for rugby from a spectator's point of view. Fair play to the WRU for having the balls to relocate the national team to England when Cardiff Arms Park was being redeveloped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

My 1st memory of rugby that really sticks with me was my 1st international game I was at, we were sitting on the side lines of lansdowne Road, literally at the try line, When Michael Lynagh for Australia crossed the line in the last 10 mins to beat Ireland in the Quarter Finals of the RWC. We had been leading by 3 points at the time, I think I was 6 and i /cried

same here 1991 world cup ! first time i ever looked at rugby!!

First international at Lansdowne V Romania 99 world cup Gordan D'Arcy's debut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

My favourites would probably be the Munster/Leinster Heineken semi-final from 06 and the final of that year along with Ireland v Australia from 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Seems like an obvious one, but sitting in Croker for the England game last year, was the most intense feeling before kick off/anthems! Really made me realise how rugby is the best sport in the world, What a day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

So many memories to choose from, it's hard to choose one....

Watching Ireland score 10 tries against Romania in 86 when I was 11.

Samoa in 88....my first drink (standing in the schoolboy section of the south terrace drinking peach schnapps from a hip flask an older lad from school brought).

Mick Galwey crossing the line (with tony underwood hanging off him) to score in Lasdowne in 93.

The 2nd test in SA in 97.

Being at the argentina game in Lens in 99......Not a good memory.

BODs hat trick against France in paris.

Having north terrace tickets for the All Blacks game in 05 and not being able to go because of the IRFU closing it after the fire underneath it :mad:

New Years Eve 06 for the last game in Lansdowne.

Probably my favourite memory though is meeting Willie John McBride at a cousins wedding about 10 years ago. I asked him for his autograph and by the end of the night there was about 40 lads standing around him as he told the story of the "99 call" on the 74 lions tour.

(it took me nearly an hour to write this as kept remembering games to add)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Being at the game against Oz in the 1991 RWC is something I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Was at the NZ Ireland match as well in 97, had them on the run as usual by half time (I remember Merhtens saying they thought they were going to lose).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Has to be Ireland Vs England in Landsdowne Road in 2001. The legend Keith Wood ws at his finest that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Maybe this is an inappropriate place to don the Golden Anorak, but I'm afraid some people have false memories. For example:
    Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Another memorable one would be the championship opener at Murrayfield in 1985. We had a new coach, a substantially new back line, and Hugo McNeill scored a running try practically straight from the kick off.

No he didn't. He nearly did but you get no points for nearly scoring a try.

and
    Toomevara wrote:
    Campese's last minute try in the 91 world cup at Lansdowne

It wasn't Campese. It was Lynagh. The bastard!

My own memorable moments would have to start back in 1973. Ireland v New Zealand. Ireland come back from seven points down in the last few minutes to score first a penalty and then a great kick and chase try by Tom Grace in the corner to level the scores.

I was standing on the Havelock Square terrace right behind the goal as Barry McGann, surely the fattest back ever to play for Ireland, lined up the conversion from the touchline and missed it by a whisker. We were that close to beating New Zealand for the first time ever. We haven't been as close since.

Mind you we gave them a good game in 2001. Fantastic atmosphere at Lansdowne Rd that day when it looked for a while as if we could take them.

Also thumping Wales 21-7 in 1980, first win over them for ten years.

Geoghegan's match in Twickenham in 1994. I was there for that.

O'Driscoll's match in Stade de France in 200. There for that one two.

But none could top the record-breaking victory over England in Croker last year. Magical occasion, magical result and some bloody good play too.

It wasn't Campese. It was Lynagh. The bastard!

Yeah, I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to point it out....forgot to change it.

Still shows you how traumatic it was, Brain just though Aussie feckwit=Campese, not Gentleman Mike...how could he have.... the drongo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

This must be a young board. Thought there would be some Munster fans mentioning 1978. Rematch scheduled for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That 1978 match is like woodstock in folklore - at least 10 times as many people claim to have been there than actually were! Wish I had been though (although as a baby at that time I don't think I'd have noticed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

First international game I remember being at was Ireland v OZ 84 when Ella's ozzies beat us on their grandslam tour

Best international game I was at- Lions 1st test in Brisbane 2001 and BOD try nearly missed as was queing at the bar at half time

Other favs I have been too
    Many V england 1993 after eng whopped Scotland mrs underwood was jumping on top of her seat, no greater pleasure then seeing Galway milling through Tony underwood, 2001 wood scored- stringer hand trip.

Ireland beating BOKs after white saying no irish players would make the team!!

Worst international - lots in 80s/90s remember Harlequeens coach debut for england he scored 2/3 tries they mullered us :mad:
    Ireland being whopped by Western Samoa in a half empty lansdowne road and Tuigamala running riot :(

Best Provincial game- 14 man leinster showing backbone to beat Munster in Magners final

Best/Worst club game- Marys V Young Munster AIL final when it meant something, it had it all a full Lansdowne road will it ever be repeated for a club game - don't think so. Great close game too - Ger earls intercepting Nicky barry should have taken him down. Peno to win match for marys coming back off post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Provincial ; Munster v Saracens in Thomond 98-99ish. Last minute try and then a conversion from ROG out on the touchline to win by a point. Francois Pinar was superb for Saracens that day, probably the best performance I have ever witnessed from a loosing side player.

International: Has to be England in Croker last year, there have been a few good ones but for atmosphere, result, occasion it would be hard to beat( just a shame we lost to France in the previous Croke park game).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

This must be a young board. Thought there would be some Munster fans mentioning 1978. Rematch scheduled for this year.

Well I was around then. What event are you talking about?

:D

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Best Provincial game- 14 man leinster showing backbone to beat Munster in Magners final

Was that Holwell's last match? When Stringer diving got him sent off in his final match?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Was that Holwell's last match? When Stringer diving got him sent off in his final match?

nope the 14 man match was when miller kicked foley between the legs in the celtic league final in 2001/2002 season.

Howalls last match was only a couple years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I could be wrong but I think Nathan spooner might have been the outhalf!

Advertisement