Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bahraini activist jailed for tweet against prime minister

Options
  • 17-07-2012 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Amnesty International has called for the 'immediate release' of Nabeel Rajab who was jailed for 3 months over a critical twitter message.
    It’s clear that repression of freedom of expression is continuing with impunity in Bahrain.

“Like many others in Bahrain, Nabeel Rajab is a prisoner of conscience, jailed solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression. He should be released immediately and all other charges or convictions against him dropped or overturned.”

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=20223

The US hasn't joined the calls for Rajab's release and yet the Obama administration wants us to believe they stand up for online freedom of expression for people everywhere.

Originally Posted by Hillary Clinton
    ...Together, the freedoms of expression, assembly, and association online comprise what I’ve called the freedom to connect. The United States supports this freedom for people everywhere, and we have called on other nations to do the same.

Our commitment to internet freedom is a commitment to the rights of people, and we are matching that with our actions. Monitoring and responding to threats to internet freedom has become part of the daily work of our diplomats and development experts. They are working to advance internet freedom on the ground at our embassies and missions around the world. The United States continues to help people in oppressive internet environments get around filters, stay one step ahead of the censors, the hackers, and the thugs who beat them up or imprison them for what they say online.

Nabeel Rajab was imprisoned for what he said online but the US has done nothing to help him. It seems the Obama administration would rather sell
    arms
    to Bahrain's dictatorial regime instead of help the activicts that are genuinely working for a freer, more democratic country.

In other news: A US documentary filmmaker recently expelled from Bahrain told RT that the crackdown on peaceful protestors is intensifying, however Marlowe also said she did not see any sign of the people giving up on their struggle for democracy.

http://www.rt.com/news/bahrain-activist-crackdown-interview-296/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Its ironic that Russia's media megaphone has the temerity to bleat about freedom and freedom of the press given what has happened there over the Putin years.
    I don't any single country is going to risk diplomatic relations over one singular citizen getting banged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

JustinDee wrote: »
    I don't any single country is going to risk diplomatic relations over one singular citizen getting banged up.

Rajab is a key figure in the opposition and has thousands of supporters, if the Obama administration cared about the struggle for democracy in Bahrain they would call for his release.

cyberhog wrote: »
    Rajab is a key figure in the opposition and has thousands of supporters, if the Obama administration cared about the struggle for democracy in Bahrain they would call for his release.

No government cares about the "struggle for democracy in Bahrain". Not the States, not Bahrain's neighbours and most certainly not Russia.
    Bread is buttered and if it ever suits, foreign governments will take a bite. It is a pivot in the Middle East given its location so has been courted by the Europeans, Americans, Saudis, Russians, Chinese and Iranians (via Russia) and that is the only reason anyone ever self-servingly gave two stuffs about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

So the US should butt in when you think it's appropriate but otherwise butt out of foreign domestic affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, this just goes to show the general hypocrisy in the world by various parties. Oprression in Bahrain is ok, and is essentially ignored. Very sad to this kind of thing happen.

Also, another poster seemed to suggest that this is an isolated incident, but other have been jailed for spearking out against the Bahraini regime, as well as other acts of violence against the regime.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Well, this just goes to show the general hypocrisy in the world by various parties. Oprression in Bahrain is ok, and is essentially ignored. Very sad to this kind of thing happen
    Yes, its sad but what to be done? Do you want interference from other nations such as the States or not?? How about in Damascus? Teheran? Tripoli? Beirut? Where's the difference?

Make your minds up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Yes, its sad but what to be done? Do you want interference from other nations such as the States or not?? How about in Damascus? Teheran? Tripoli? Beirut? Where's the difference?

Make your minds up.

Maybe something like stopping giving them military aid? Wouldn't that be a decent start?

karma_ wrote: »
    Maybe something like stopping giving them military aid? Wouldn't that be a decent start?
    Could happen if all other proxies (eg. China, Russia, Iran, Syria, Hizbullah etc) also did that in region.
    They won't, so it won't.
    Thus it continues thus . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How about some consistency? As it stands, morality is often invoked if and when it suits, which tells me its not really about that.

Also, interference is happening all the time in the ME. So why not interfere on the side of those who want democracy?

Surely, there are options to help pro-democracy activists, beyond bombing the place. Pressure can be put on the Bahrani government in other ways. Also, I find it odd that Bahrain is basically ignored, while a lot of attention is given to Assad. Now, I am not saying what is going in is the same in both cases, Syria is in fairness far worse, and will get most of the attention, but I feel that places like Bahrain are ignored, as they are Western allies.

wes wrote: »
    How about some consistency? As it stands, morality is often invoked if and when it suits, which tells me its not really about that.

Also, interference is happening all the time in the ME. So why not interfere on the side of those who want democracy?

Surely, there are options to help pro-democracy activists, beyond bombing the place. Pressure can be put on the Bahrani government in other ways. Also, I find it odd that Bahrain is basically ignored, while a lot of attention is given to Assad. Now, I am not saying what is going in is the same in both cases, Syria is in fairness far worse, and will get most of the attention, but I feel that places like Bahrain are ignored, as they are Western allies.

There is plenty of consistency: No nation bothers unless it suits them. Thats the way it always has been and the way it always will be. There's no difference between the big bad west and the opposing bloc composed of mainly China and Russia.

News on the Syrian regime is widespread given the slaughter there. The Ba'athist govt have always locked dissidents away there. If there is widespread bloodshed, you'll find Bahrain on the news, as there was already the beginning of the protest marches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Its ironic that Russia's media megaphone has the temerity to bleat about freedom and freedom of the press given what has happened there over the Putin years.

As per the usual, JustinDee uses every available opportunity to take digs at Putin and his domestic policies, even if they have no relevance to the thread whatsoever.

(I could go on about how Russia is far freer today than it ever was during its long history but I keep those things for other threads)

Nothing surprising here. Captain Obvious informed me years ago that the Americans do and say as they please, even if it involves grave hypocrisy.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    As per the usual, JustinDee uses every available opportunity to take digs at Putin and his domestic policies, even if they have no relevance to the thread whatsoever.

(I could go on about how Russia is far freer today than it ever was during its long history but I keep those things for other threads)

Nothing surprising here. Captain Obvious informed me years ago that the Americans do and say as they please, even if it involves grave hypocrisy.

Less on the poster, fella.

Russia is relevant because it is a government owned media outlet that is being ironically quoted here. I don't know where Russia's foreign policies seem to be tickable as okay in your book, but they're not much different to those you repeatedly post about ie. those of the 'big bad west'. As for "freedom" today in that country, you're comparing with the communist regimes of up until 1989. Akin to comparing 'terrible' with 'worse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The apologists don't see it that way- the defense of it is two fold: either there is always an extenuating circumstance for the huge chasm between the lofty, self-righteous rhetoric of American governments and their subsequent miscreant actions, or they try to deflect criticism, by immediately pointing out the wrong doing of others- a child would be scolded for doing this in the playground.

As for "freedom" today in that country, you're comparing with the communist regimes of up until 1989. Akin to comparing 'terrible' with 'worse'.

There is great freedom today in Russia. Not just compared to the Soviet Union/Tsarist Russia. There are far, far worse democracies out there. I said it is significantly more free today than it ever was (including the Yeltsin era) and has taken massive strides in effective government and rule of law.

I can talk to a Russian today who voted for A Just Russia in the recent elections and who dislikes Putin (and not just because of the usual "he is a corrupt oligarch dictator" stuff either). Of course, there are problems with the Russian democracy, as it has only had 10 years to set itself up properly, and its genesis was disrupted by two severe wars in Chechnya (engineered by Yeltsin) which required a balance between civil rights and crackdowns.

I could spend the next zillion lines explaining the situation regarding the press and civil rights in Russia but I know it would all just bounce off you so i won't bother. Plus I don't want to clog up a thread about Bahrain with stuff about Russia.
    Russia is relevant because it is a government owned media outlet that is being ironically quoted here.

Its not really logical to randomly attack Putinhitler's domestic policies in a thread about Bahrain just because the OP quoted a state-owned Russian broadcasting institution as a source. Again, you are using this as an excuse to deflect attention from Bahrain and enforce your opinions of Russia/RT.

Occasionally people may quote RTE- does that mean we have to go on tangental rants about Ireland's domestic situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yeah this guy was arrested earlier in the year. Three months is a bit stiff for a tweet - apparently the max for this type of "libel" is a fine. Most people who were taken in during the uprising last year were tortured, I don't fancy his chances, although they might hold off considering his relatively high profile.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yeah this guy was arrested earlier in the year. Three months is a bit stiff for a tweet - apparently the max for this type of "libel" is a fine. Most people who were taken in during the uprising last year were tortured, I don't fancy his chances, although they might hold off considering his relatively high profile.

Is Rajab a well-known activist in Bahrain?

Is Rajab a well-known activist in Bahrain?

Yup should be, head of a few human rights organisations over there

There is plenty of consistency: No nation bothers unless it suits them.

That is true. I think what galls people most about the US is how it feigns concern and outrage at human rights violations in places like Syria or Iran when we can clearly see from places like Bahrain and Azerbaijan that the US couldn't care less about people's human rights.
    News on the Syrian regime is widespread given the slaughter there. The Ba'athist govt have always locked dissidents away there. If there is widespread bloodshed, you'll find Bahrain on the news, as there was already the beginning of the protest marches.

I don't agree that only widespread bloodshed can make the revolt newsworthy. Nonviolent protesters are being brutally put down in Bahrain and that merits coverage.
    Last November a report by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI), set up by the king, Shaikh Hamad bin ‘Issa Al Khalifa, concluded that the authorities had committed gross human rights violations with impunity, including excessive use of force against protesters, widespread torture and other ill-treatment of protesters, unfair trials and unlawful killings.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=20223

It seems the Western media follows US behaviour by only covering deadly crackdowns on peaceful protestors when it suits them.

That is true. I think what galls people most about the US is how it feigns concern and outrage at human rights violations in places like Syria or Iran when we can clearly see from places like Bahrain and Azerbaijan that the US couldn't care less about people's human rights
    It isn't the only nation who pontificate on this subject or exercise vetoes now, is it? Not by a long shot. Latest (in)action by Russia and China on the regime in Syria is indicative of this.
    I don't agree that only widespread bloodshed can make the revolt newsworthy. Nonviolent protesters are being brutally put down in Bahrain and that merits coverage
    I'm not saying what should or can make the news. I'm saying what does. There is a difference and it applies to news media across the board.
    It seems the Western media follows US behaviour by only covering deadly crackdowns on peaceful protestors when it suits them.
    Russia Today showed very little on the Syrian mess at the beginning. The jokeshop, Press TV, showed nothing on it on their TV news. Not an iota.

That is true. I think what galls people most about the US is how it feigns concern and outrage at human rights violations in places like Syria or Iran when we can clearly see from places like Bahrain and Azerbaijan that the US couldn't care less about people's human rights.

Virtually Every post you start here is a veiled attack on the West or particular Western countries, this thread is no different.
    I don't agree that only widespread bloodshed can make the revolt newsworthy. Nonviolent protesters are being brutally put down in Bahrain and that merits coverage.

The initial protests escalated quickly and around 78 or so protesters died over the course, many through police force and several in detention (certainly under torture). Since then has been some sort of "reconciliation" process with both sides trying to facilitate a peaceful understanding, another large protest took place; about 100K or more I believe, which is a significant portion of the Bahraini population it managed to pass off peacefully. Obviously the Bahraini regime is not going to fall, but for the moment there is a "tense peace" so to speak.

Now, your agenda aside..

The Bahraini uprising took place at the same time as over a dozen uprisings and protests across the ME and N Africa, and was overshadowed by the larger situations in Egypt and Libya. The world media covered the situation and certain events were fairly high profile, esp. the trial and detention of the medics.

Really, you're speaking for Der Spiegl? El Pais? the Observer? The Irish Times? Le Monde? Euronews? France 24? and thousands of other publications and outlets?

Must contract sharply with what was reporting in several hundred/thousand Middle Eastern, Asian, Latin American, etc outlets then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What did he say exactly?

Don't forget that in even in the US, that pillar of free speech, someone could be jailed for making racial or threatening criticisms of Obamer.

Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical, but the fact that amnesty haven't repeated what exactly he said suggests that it might have been more than "I am not 100% convinced by the current administrations fiscal policy" or the like.

What did he say exactly?

This is what he tweeted
    “Khalifa: Leave the al-Muharraq alley ways, their sheikhs and their elderly, everyone knows that you have no popularity there; and if it was not for their need for money they would not have come out to welcome you - when will you bow out?”

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/bahrain-urged-free-imprisoned-activist-2012-07-11

And here's an interview with Nabeel Rajab just before he was taken to jail.

https://witnessbahrain.org/2012/07/the-last-tweets-before-prison-interview-with-nabeel-rajab/

Rajab states: "I will not stop and I’m teaching people not to stop. If everybody will keep quiet after putting them in jail, then it’s a disaster. We should challenge that. We should be willing to pay the price for the struggle for the freedom that we fight for. And this is the price."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

I'm kind of curious as to who people are comparing the US to when expressing horror in it's choice not to throw itself behind every movement agitating for politcal change. Ireland does not, why do you insist on holding others to a standard they fail to hold ourselves to? And yes, Ireland does claim democracy and human rights are vital parts of foreign policy so please dont start with the BS about the US being the only ones who claim to adhere to those ideals.

Why, further, are states that NEVER support these various movements not worthy of the criticism leveled at the US for only doing it on occasion? Indeed there is a hypocrisy inherent in evoking human rights as the sole motivation for doing this, its clear to anyone with an iota of common sense that if that were the case there would be many other states and groups far more of a threat to these ideals. If you as an individual cannot apply your standard (the vast majority) across the globe, why would you even begin to think an institution that represents the interests and ideals of hundrerds of millions of people could or should not practice it?

Its been mentioned here, and elsewhere, that because the US does not support every democracy movement -regardless of size, representation
    and severity of represion - to the same degree, and then evokes human rights and democracy as a reason for change elsewhere that these values do not have anything to do with their motivations. This is a very clear failure in logic. 10 points to whoever can name it. Perhaps, and this might be very difficult for some, it DOES have an effect on policy, along with national security, economic concerns, geographical location and any number of other factors.

This personification of a state and its behaviour is always just childish reductionism. It's not clever, it's not an incisive look at the workings of foreign policy and seems only to be applied when it suits the ideology of those evoking it.

SamHarris wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious as to who people are comparing the US to when expressing horror in it's choice not to throw itself behind every movement agitating for politcal change. Ireland does not, why do you insist on holding others to a standard they fail to hold ourselves to? And yes, Ireland does claim democracy and human rights are vital parts of foreign policy so please dont start with the BS about the US being the only ones who claim to adhere to those ideals.

Why, further, are states that NEVER support these various movements not worthy of the criticism leveled at the US for only doing it on occasion? Indeed there is a hypocrisy inherent in evoking human rights as the sole motivation for doing this, its clear to anyone with an iota of common sense that if that were the case there would be many other states and groups far more of a threat to these ideals. If you as an individual cannot apply your standard (the vast majority) across the globe, why would you even begin to think an institution that represents the interests and ideals of hundrerds of millions of people could or should not practice it?

Its been mentioned here, and elsewhere, that because the US does not support every democracy movement -regardless of size, representation
    and severity of represion - to the same degree, and then evokes human rights and democracy as a reason for change elsewhere that these values do not have anything to do with their motivations. This is a very clear failure in logic. 10 points to whoever can name it. Perhaps, and this might be very difficult for some, it DOES have an effect on policy, along with national security, economic concerns, geographical location and any number of other factors.

This personification of a state and its behaviour is always just childish reductionism. It's not clever, it's not an incisive look at the workings of foreign policy and seems only to be applied when it suits the ideology of those evoking it.

Very basically

The inconsistency of US policy toward oppressive regimes generates a lot of frustration - hence a lot these posts (this can be applied to other Western powers)

e.g. if the secretary of state is stepping up to the podium decrying human rights abuses in Syria why are they not doing the same about Uzbekistan, etc, etc.

If we could somehow get it all into some sticky post maybe we would have less threads clogged up with it. Also, I realise the irony that I am now clogging up the thread with it ;)

Very basically

The inconsistency of US policy toward oppressive regimes generates a lot of frustration - hence a lot these posts (this can be applied to other Western powers)

e.g. if the secretary of state is stepping up to the podium decrying human rights abuses in Syria why are they not doing the same about Uzbekistan, etc, etc.

If we could somehow get it all into some sticky post maybe we would have less threads clogged up with it. Also, I realise the irony that I am now clogging up the thread with it ;)

That doesnt really deal with what I said at all tbh. It can be applied to every country, by the way, Western or not, that even hints at having an ideology in their makeup.

SamHarris wrote: »
    That doesnt really deal with what I said at all tbh. It can be applied to every country, by the way, Western or not, that even hints at having an ideology in their makeup.

Yup I agree, I'm just addressing a very basic and fundamental reason why this issue exists in the first place and why this discussion persists.

Bahraini security forces have very recently arrested more protesters and as is typical has labelled them "terrorists". This clever loophole functions well because on a domestic level - if a state can "push" it's citizens to use any violence in protests then it can be very crudely justified in incarcerating them as "violent terrorists" and on an international level major powers have used roughly the same techniques - generally under different conditions for different reasons but the details don't matter - its a functional bit of false moral high-ground. Ghandi really had it right with the whole peaceful protest - but most shrewd leaders in the region are light years ahead of that kind of thinking/modus operandi in the whole "how to be an unelected king in the 21st century" department.

It's not exactly the Daily Mail comment section, gross over-simplification and personification are generally always going to exist due to this medium.

But us Irish don't have massive armies to send around in the name of "human rights" and "democracy". That's the difference. Its kind of naive comparing Ireland and the USA in the foreign policy department.

But us Irish don't have massive armies to send around in the name of "human rights" and "democracy". That's the difference. Its kind of naive comparing Ireland and the USA in the foreign policy department.
    No, it isn't. Complicity in whatever degree tends to get subjectively banged about by the usual posters when it suits.
    Foreign policy is determined by what it gains the proponent in question.

Weakness is the shield? Really? Given the context and tenor of the complaints, that really doesnt and shouldnt fly.

• Advertisement

Yup I agree, I'm just addressing a very basic and fundamental reason why this issue exists in the first place and why this discussion persists.

Bahraini security forces have very recently arrested more protesters and as is typical has labelled them "terrorists". This clever loophole functions well because on a domestic level - if a state can "push" it's citizens to use any violence in protests then it can be very crudely justified in incarcerating them as "violent terrorists" and on an international level major powers have used roughly the same techniques - generally under different conditions for different reasons but the details don't matter - its a functional bit of false moral high-ground. Ghandi really had it right with the whole peaceful protest - but most shrewd leaders in the region are light years ahead of that kind of thinking/modus operandi in the whole "how to be an unelected king in the 21st century" department.

It's not exactly the Daily Mail comment section, gross over-simplification and personification are generally always going to exist due to this medium.

Ah apologies.

I agree it will always exist to a certain degree, however for people to repeatedly make the same glaring logical errors should be at least frowned upon. An ability to practice what they preach (in regard to not holding double standards/ hypocrisy in a post seeking to vilify a government for doing the same) and an EXTREMELY basic understanding of foreign policy would also be a plus here...

Its funny you should mention the Daily Mail comment section, Ive just gotten back from making myself furious by reading the comments about that recent bombing of an Israeli bus. As per your theory though, I rarely if ever see a well thought out and reasoned comment to a news article, whether on the Daily Mail, The Guardian or even publications like The Economist. I keep reading them though :(

Advertisement