Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Court 0rders files handed over to PSNI

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0707/us-court-rules-ira-interviews-can-be-given-to-psni.html

A good days work as it is believed, and stated by some who gave testimony, that the files include evidence of Gerry Adams complicity in the Murder of Jean McConville.
    One hopes that SF will welcome this developement with the same enthusiasism they welcomed the announcment of the police investigation into Bloody Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

SFIRA?? are you stuck in the late 70s??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SocSocPol wrote: »
    A good days work as it is believed the files include evidence of Gerry Adams complicity in the Murder of Jean McConville.

Believed by who? What is the basis of that belief and is it justified?

Why obsess about one killing* in 3,500?

Why associate one politician with that death and attribute undue significance to it?

Realistically, all this does is stifle the willingness of people to give information to historians.

* Not saying any killing is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Victor wrote: »
    Believed by who? What is the basis of that belief and is it justified?

Why obsess about one killing* in 3,500?

Why associate one politician with that death and attribute undue significance to it?

Realistically, all this does is stifle the willingness of people to give information to historians.

* Not saying any killing is good.
    Two former members of the IRA who gave testimony held in those files claim that Adams ordered that murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Two former members of SFIRA who gave testimony held in those files claim that Adams ordered that murder.
    Neither Dolours Price or Brendan Hughes were ever members of SF, they have both disagreed with and distrusted SF's strategy. "SF/IRA" was a term made up by loyalists to enable them to murder political activists and SF members and then call them active IRA members as justification.

Price has always been a critic of Adams and SF so it's no surprise that she will probably try to implicate Adams in some way.

But the important fact to remember is that these are just allegations so far from Hughes and nothing has been proved. We'll see what Price has to say in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0707/us-court-rules-ira-interviews-can-be-given-to-psni.html

A good days work as it is believed the files include evidence of Gerry Adams complicity in the Murder of Jean McConville.
    One hope the SFIRA will welcome this with the glee and gusto they welcomed the announcment of the police investigation into Bloody Sunday.

Perhaps you should join us all here in the 21st century? Because you'll be truly amazed to see the monumental and historic steps, that have been taken by all sides toward peace and reconcilliation on this little island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

OP, I don't understand why you are trying to derail your own thread right off the bat: these SFIRA comments are unnecessarily inflammatory, especially considering the fractured relationship that the participants in the BC project have with the current leadership of Sinn Fein. I think there is enough to discuss here without trying to be cute with terminology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

One hope the SFIRA will welcome this with the glee and gusto they welcomed the announcment of the police investigation into Bloody Sunday.

Glee and gusto? Such a perverse sentiment you harbour trying to score points against SF on the backs of these murders of innocent people. Any self-respecting human being would welcome closure for the massacre of innocent civilians regardless of their religion/political persuasion.

Shame on you.

Glee and gusto? Such a perverse sentiment you harbour trying to score points against SF on the backs of these murders of innocent people. Any self-respecting human being would welcome closure for the massacre of innocent civilians regardless of their religion/political persuasion.

Shame on you.
    My point is that while SF and others are very eager to have all crimes , no matter how old, by the security forces against the civillian population investigated and prosecuted , they seem less eager to co-operate in the investigation of atrocities carried out by the republican movement.

MOD NOTE:

OP, I don't understand why you are trying to derail your own thread right off the bat: these SFIRA comments are unnecessarily inflammatory, especially considering the fractured relationship that the participants in the BC project have with the current leadership of Sinn Fein. I think there is enough to discuss here without trying to be cute with terminology.
    Point taken, post amended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I wouldn't like to be mackers! Tricked former comrades into effectively a form of touting (bit of a strong word considering they have also put their own liberty at risk).

If he, and especially Ed Moloney, were proper, serious historians and not motivated by cash (Moloney especially) they would have done things properly like with this (excellent) book;
    http://writing.ie/meet-the-authors/non-fiction/general-interest/351-ferghal-mcgarry-rebels-voices-from-the-easter-rising.html
    The witness statements referred to are a unique archive of statements collected during the late 40s and 50s from 1,800 individuals involved in Ireland’s struggle for independence. They cover events from the formation of The Volunteers in 1913 right up to the signing of The Truce in 1921. Once collected, the statements were kept under lock and key until the last witnesses died in 2003 when they finally became available.

Of course doing that wouldn't allow Moloney to rake the cash in would it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Jean McConville's son in law, Seamus McKendry has said the tapes must be handed over to the PSNI.

From the OPs article...

I wonder what her son thinks of it... you know, the one who was in the INLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

From the OPs article...

I wonder what her son thinks of it... you know, the one who was in the INLA.

Between this post, the previous one, and behaviour on recent threads, a week's ban for inflammatory trolling and attempted thread derailing. Next one will be a permaban.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The truth about all that happened in Ireland from all the sides will come out someday, it depends on how much political blackmailing can be gained by keeping it secret. But one things for sure all sides have truths that they would pay to keep secret.

realies wrote: »
    The truth about all that happened in Ireland from all the sides will come out someday, it depends on how much political blackmailing can be gained by keeping it secret. But one things for sure all sides have truths that they would pay to keep secret.
    That is undoubtitly true, and I do not wish to sound trite, but surely only the truth can set us all free.
    Perhaps what we need is some kind of truth commission where the facts can be laid bare without fear of personal consequence,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

That is undoubtitly true, and I do not wish to sound trite, but surely only the truth can set us all free.
    Perhaps what we need is some kind of truth commission where the facts can be laid bare without fear of personal consequence,
    SF in particular have been consistently calling for an Independent International Truth Commission since around mid to late 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

There will not be a Truth Commission - the British Government will not admit to what went on - collusion sanctioned at a high level , etc , etc.

The sort of research by Boston College was a potentially valuable source of information for future generations and that will now cease . Participants in the troubles will no longer feel safe in discussing the past now.

History is the loser in this court decision.

Delancey wrote: »
    There will not be a Truth Commission - the British Government will not admit to what went on - collusion sanctioned at a high level , etc , etc.

The sort of research by Boston College was a potentially valuable source of information for future generations and that will now cease . Participants in the troubles will no longer feel safe in discussing the past now.

History is the loser in this court decision.
    Justice and truth is the real winner,at least the British let saville get at the truth, others still deny their atrocities to preserve their political careers

SocSo cPol wrote: »
    Justice and truth is the real winner,at least the British let saville get at the truth, others still deny their atrocities to preserve their political careers

The Government that is now in place between former bitter enemies makes any form of arrest or imprisonment very unlikely, If there could be some sort of truth & reconciliation where all the parties and Armed forces can do so without fear of arrest is the way forward, and I mean that to include the bloody sunday killings and Dublin/monaghan bombings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

this is nothing more than an attack on sinn feins rise in popularity. i cant see how testimonies given by former members of the ira (one who is now dead) outside a court of law will lead to a successful conviction. these testimonies are nothing but allegations and are part of a smear campaign against sinn fein and mainly gerry adams. i think it is highly unlikely that those who gave evidence in these tapes will repeat what they said if arrested by police, considering the repurcussions that exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Dotsey wrote: »
    SF in particular have been consistently calling for an Independent International Truth Commission since around mid to late 2008.

Aye because they know full well its never going to happen.

paky wrote: »
    this is nothing more than an attack on sinn feins rise in popularity. i cant see how testimonies given by former members of the ira (one who is now dead) outside a court of law will lead to a successful conviction. these testimonies are nothing but allegations and are part of a smear campaign against sinn fein and mainly gerry adams. i think it is highly unlikely that those who gave evidence in these tapes will repeat what they said if arrested by police, considering the repurcussions that exist.

There's no way this will lead to a successful conviction you are correct. Psni like the RUC had no interest in McConville up until a few years ago they are just using her to silence McIntyre and Moloney.

Its no attack on Sinn Fein's popularity they themselves will be very pleased this is going through because they don't want any more interviews coming out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

considering the repurcussions that exist.
    Which are?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Victor wrote: »
    Which are?

indictment would be one

Care to explain what those repercussions might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Has been talked about here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79646389

But not to much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

realies wrote: »
    Has been talked about here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79646389

But not to much ?

Indeed. Threads merged at OP's request.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement