Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal John O'Shea rogue charity maniac not saint.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

gbh wrote: »
    Case in point:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7092861.stm

This is the norm in sub-Saharn Africa rather than the exception. Corruption is one of the biggest reasons holding back development and it is usually the government and friends of the government who cause it. Until the cycle of corruption is beaten, then the cycle of poverty and mismanagment will continue.

doesn't say anything about not giving aid to them via government channels and other ways too,

read dadakof's report linked earlier.

Poor get less when aid goes to corrupt governments by David Adams
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/0424/1208904407254.html needs sub

long article there i won't copy and paste it ... ends like so
    I also happen to agree wholeheartedly with his opposition to the channelling of aid through corrupt or dictatorial governments.

It is also argued that it is "patronising" (this is code for racist or colonialist) to advocate the bypassing of corrupt or brutal regimes in the distribution of aid.

In fact, the Department of Foreign Affairs is legally bound to do everything possible to ensure that freely given aid, ie Irish taxpayers' money, is used solely for the purposes for which it is intended.

If this means bypassing a foreign government that cannot be trusted to distribute aid to its own people, then so be it.

I would contend that it is racist and colonialist to argue that African governments should be held to less stringent standards than the rest of us simply because they are African.

so what does he mean by 'bypass'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I imagine he means either the official Irish Aid usage, which is to change 'modalities' from general budget support whereby Irish aid is channelled through ministries and bureaucracies with certain conditions (the favoured mode among the OECD aid group) to area-based programmes (say, water collection and irrigation in Ethiopia) or sector-wide approaches (such as funding specific programmes/projects overseen by the Ugandan ministry of education), or funding Irish and local NGOs to deliver services (which is how things are being seen now).

In reality Irish Aid uses all these modalities anyway because some work better in one context and not in another. And it retains some political leverage over Southern governments.

Or he could just mean giving Goal and all the virtuous, untainted Irish NGOs the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

His Radio advertising certainly leaves an awful lot to be desired, and I for one would certainly not give any money to him or 'Goal' on the strength of his very 'off putting' Radio Adverts.

He should have got a proper PR person to do a professional voice over for him, instead of making an advert guaranteed to scare young children & small dogs, never mind adults :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Contrast that with a solidarity model that portrays the global poor as active participants, who every day struggle to improve themselves against the odds, accepting our responsibility in much of this, and you have a very different approach to things. Yes, show the reality of global socal injustice - good and bad, but don't demean people. We should treat every human being with dignity (it's what we all strive for), and that includes how we go about improving the lives of people we affect, but cannot put a face to.

The developing world is alive with exciting, innovative ideas and movements to help them help themselves. We should act in solidarity with them by supporting their efforts, not expecting them to support ours.
    The problem comes when we have to decide which of these efforts to support. We must make a choice and in doing so we impose our political views on someone else's country. What you think is worthy of support may not be the same as what I think and both of us may be wrong in what is best for the country.

I imagine he means either the official Irish Aid usage, which is to change 'modalities' from general budget support whereby Irish aid is channelled through ministries and bureaucracies with certain conditions (the favoured mode among the OECD aid group) to area-based programmes (say, water collection and irrigation in Ethiopia) or sector-wide approaches (such as funding specific programmes/projects overseen by the Ugandan ministry of education), or funding Irish and local NGOs to deliver services (which is how things are being seen now).

In reality Irish Aid uses all these modalities anyway because some work better in one context and not in another. And it retains some political leverage over Southern governments.

Or he could just mean giving Goal and all the virtuous, untainted Irish NGOs the money.

well your first three groups of examples to me sound like going through the 'foreign government" and i presume you know a lot more about this then david adams does.

you know what i think when he and o'shea say bypass!

can goal,trocaire,eyesight charity etc work without the cooperation of the gov?

SkepticOne wrote:
    The problem comes when we have to decide which of these efforts to support. We must make a choice and in doing so we impose our political views on someone else's country. What you think is worthy of support may not be the same as what I think and both of us may be wrong in what is best for the country.
    The decision is made on the basis of impact. Impact is broadly defined as those types of action that reduce poverty in the short, medium and long terms. Development is extremely complex, something John O'Shea just doesn't understand. There isn't even agreement about what 'development' means, nor should there be.

The trend in international development co-operation, as set out in the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectivness, which all DAC donors are signed up to, places 'partnership' beween donor and recipient country as one of the key planks. In theory, the developing country decides its own developmental priorities in a Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS), which forms the 'contractual' basis on which donors provide aid. Donors themselves often have contradictory interests in providing aid, depending on the country in question, and the theoretical aim is also have donor practices harmonised.

But the political reality of all this is that developing countries have very little say in what their developmental priorities are. The World Bank imposes the PRS regime, the World Bank is dominated by the USA and Europe, so it ensures that the contents of PRS strategies cohere with their priorities, not those of the recipient country. In the case of Tanzania, their PRS was actually largely written and signed in Washington DC; though the PRS system promises to hold 'stakeholder consultations' with local people, local NGOs and civil servants, these were merely window-dressing. What counts is whether rich countries are protecting their strategic interests. Ireland, as a medium-sized donor and an economically dwarfish country, has little power or interest in this regard but also does little to change this situation. Our insistence on 'good governance' as a condition and objective for aid is constructively ambiguous (Irish Aid has not come out clearly to say what it considers 'good governance') - we don't seriously challenge the nature of this policy or the development co-operation regime which is, in effect, designed to further crowbar open developing countries to exploitation and to make them in our image.

And this can be fixed by giving all the Irish aid to John O'Shea?

I'm not so sure he understands the complexity of global politics as it affects developing countries.

As you say, the decision is made on the basis of impact. Impact is broadly defined as those types of action that reduce poverty in the short, medium and long terms. Development is extremely complex, something John O'Shea just doesn't understand.
    The criteria is whether or not it reduces poverty over varying time-scales. No disagreement there. No disagreement either that it is a complex issue. My point is that your view of what reduces poverty maybe different to mine. Whose should win? We can't avoid the fact that in aid we impose our political view on those we think we are helping.

We can't avoid the fact that in aid we impose our political view on those we think we are helping.
    That's exactly what I tried to demonstrate in my post. Power. It's something O'Shea doesn't give a toss about. Him white, them black. White man's burden, all that. As I said, development is a rightfully contested term. Personally, I consider it 'tradition' - in this case, it's the 'West' imposing 'Western' traditions on other peoples.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I tried to demonstrate in my post. Power. It's something O'Shea doesn't give a toss about. Him white, them black. White man's burden, all that. As I said, development is a rightfully contested term. Personally, I consider it 'tradition' - in this case, it's the 'West' imposing 'Western' traditions on other peoples.
    Unfortunately, and this is my point, we are always going to impose 'traditions' of some sort on these others we are trying to benefit regardless of whatever aid model ('solidarity', 'charity' or otherwise) we support. We can't avoid this and therefore we shouldn't single out O'Shea for this.

Obviously. But we're OK with it as long as we're doing the imposing, eh? What if others were to impose 'traditions' on us? This is the sneaking suspicion I have that's underlying much of the anti-China sentiment around these Olympic games.

However, it should be said that, while it's a compromised set of documents, the UN human rights conventions do still give some kind of global mandate. It's established and utilised by most UN member states.

But, in fairness, this thread is about John O'Shea. I agree with you, but that's why I've been bringing points back to him.

Obviously. But we're OK with it as long as we're doing the imposing, eh? What if others were to impose 'traditions' on us?
    Well no, I did not say that we're OK with it. It could be that all developmental aid as opposed to emergency relief aid should be done away with since all involve imposing our values on someone else's country preventing that country from finding its own way.

Personally, I think if we must do aid, what John O'Shea says makes a lot of sense. There is absolutely no point in sending money to a corrupt government.

There is absolutely no point in sending money to a corrupt government.
    We better hand back the EU funds then. And stop imposing our culture of corruption on vulnerable developing countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

John O'Shea may be pating himself very hansomly, but he works for it. He didn't appear to be a broken person on the LLS from what I remember last October, but he's a man with a kind heart.

African countries (for the majority) don't want us, and they don't want our money... so why are we giving it to them... they use violence against the people that try to help them, and the governments are too corrupt to even hand a penny over to them. Countries such as Kenya have been welcoming, although corrupt, have not attempted to hold aid workers captive.

India, on the other hand, may have more millionaire's than anywhere else in the world, but I don't mind giving them my money becaise their government may be less corrupt than ours, their situation(as being part of britain is similar), they dont fight against us, they are actually hardworking when they immigrate to ireland, and when we had the Great Famine of 1954, India.

From wikipedia, on the subject of the irish famine.
    Calcutta is credited with making the first donation of £14,000. The money was raised by Irish soldiers serving there and Irish people employed by the East India Company. Pope Pius IX sent funds and Queen Victoria donated £2,000.
    Even our own mother kingdom (ie. Great Britain) wouldn't give us much money... and even our pope, to be honest, sent very little.

I know thats off-topic, but why are we all focusing our efforts on countries that dont want us... because, in my opinion, from looking at the media, we're made to feel like Nazis, handing out money to them.

We better hand back the EU funds then. And stop imposing our culture of corruption on vulnerable developing countries.
    Well I think we are now net contributors to the EU now, but I would question whether our receipt of funds over the last few decades has been a wholly positive thing for us.

In terms of Ireland exporting corruption through ill-advised aid to corrupt governments, yes, to the extent that it happens I am against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I must admit to being an admirer of O'Shea. I really like his idea of Irish Aid not just giving money to several projects over several countries but instead every western country adopting a developing country in proportion to their population size.
    In this way schemes could be set up where volunteers go out to the same country year after year, exchange programs set up where the developing country could get scholarships to Irish unis on the basis that on completion they work to build up their own country on return ( rather than have a brain drain )

Its something that bears thinking about because anything else that has been tried over the last 50 years just doesn't seem to work.

RATM wrote: »
    I must admit to being an admirer of O'Shea. I really like his idea of Irish Aid not just giving money to several projects over several countries but instead every western country adopting a developing country in proportion to their population size.
    In this way schemes could be set up where volunteers go out to the same country year after year, exchange programs set up where the developing country could get scholarships to Irish unis on the basis that on completion they work to build up their own country on return ( rather than have a brain drain )

Its something that bears thinking about because anything else that has been tried over the last 50 years just doesn't seem to work.

and we're back to square one you just described colonisation again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Aid money is not "free". It has been given with the express understanding that it will be used for the development and betterment of human beings in the developing world.

Call it colonisation if you like, but people providing aid funding do have a right to ensure - through whatever means are considered workable - to ensure that the money goes to the intended recipients.

So please, stop with the browbeating and "How dare *you* question *us*!!!! You insignificant worms!!! Who do you neo-imperialists thing you are?!?! We are the international charity industry, you give us the ****ing money, then you sit down, shut up and dont asking any ****ing questions about where the moneys going. And youll be ****ing grateful too!!!"

Oh and the "whataboutery" on corruption is amazing. Remember, absolute figures guys, absolute figures to hide context.

John O'Shea gets a lot of hatred and spite directed towards him because he happens to stand up and question the dogma of "Lets give lots of money to the 3rd world to assuage our post-colonial guilt complex and hope everything works out okay!!!" The dogma which ironically enough increases 3rd world dependance on handouts and is colonialism by another name.

Sand wrote: »
    Aid money is not "free". It has been given with the express understanding that it will be used for the development and betterment of human beings in the developing world.

Call it colonisation if you like, but people providing aid funding do have a right to ensure - through whatever means are considered workable - to ensure that the money goes to the intended recipients.

So please, stop with the browbeating and "How dare *you* question *us*!!!! You insignificant worms!!! Who do you neo-imperialists thing you are?!?! We are the international charity industry, you give us the ****ing money, then you sit down, shut up and dont asking any ****ing questions about where the moneys going. And youll be ****ing grateful too!!!"

Oh and the "whataboutery" on corruption is amazing. Remember, absolute figures guys, absolute figures to hide context.

John O'Shea gets a lot of hatred and spite directed towards him because he happens to stand up and question the dogma of "Lets give lots of money to the 3rd world to assuage our post-colonial guilt complex and hope everything works out okay!!!" The dogma which ironically enough increases 3rd world dependance on handouts and is colonialism by another name.
    I reckon JOS justifiably raises the corruption issue while at the same time promoting the post-colonial guilt, dependence charity model which he claims to condemn.

And aid, as used by the powerful donors is an instrument of foreign policy. The interests and how they are expressed are systemic and essential to the capitalist international political economy. Aid, as a policy instrument in this system, contributes to the continued exploitation of people in developing countries exactly because official aid is an instrument of this exploitative system.

JOS believes that treating the symptoms is enough. He may think corruption is a prime cause. Corruption, while a cause, is also a symptom of the global capitalist system of exploitation. If the system worked to well (i.e. Africa is the most economically liberalised continent, behind it is Latin America), it'd be a system of perfectly beneficent free trade. But this isn't how things work.

Sand wrote: »

he gets the hate because of the way he goes about things , as if the louder you shout about something the more right you are, he gets hate cos advocates invading countries.

i think john o'shea got in the position he is now, due to the lack of regulation he talks about.

• Advertisement

And aid, as used by the powerful donors is an instrument of foreign policy. The interests and how they are expressed are systemic and essential to the capitalist international political economy. Aid, as a policy instrument in this system, contributes to the continued exploitation of people in developing countries exactly because official aid is an instrument of this exploitative system.

No aid is justified to the tax payers on the basis of it bettering the lot of human beings. It is used as a foreign policy tool when its effectively dosh given to corrupt regimes with no oversight or auditing to ensure it gets to where its supposed to go.

Hence the "who are we to condemn <insertcorruptregimehere> for taking the money and using it for villas, secret police and foreign junkets? To object would be neo-imperialism!!" have it arseways. It is *our* money. If and when the receipient of the aid can get his own cash together, then he can decide how to spend his own money.

The international charity industry goes into fits of outrage when its asked "So, why should we given the money to a corrupt government and watch it get pissed away instead of spending it directly to achive the desired results?" Its like cutting any government programs for homeless people and instead giving them a tenner a day so they can get sloshed on vodka with a little more dignity.
    JOS believes that treating the symptoms is enough. He may think corruption is a prime cause. Corruption, while a cause, is also a symptom of the global capitalist system of exploitation. If the system worked to well (i.e. Africa is the most economically liberalised continent, behind it is Latin America), it'd be a system of perfectly beneficent free trade. But this isn't how things work.

The world market is not free - the EU for example massively punishes and restricts economic development in the third world to benefit their own manufacturers and farmers. The US does the same.

What are you advocating - apart from "workers of the world unite! Lets establish a world wide socialist peoples republic and solve all the worlds problems in one fell swoop!"

If aid money is as terrible an instrument of cruel heartless capitalists as you describe, surely then the solution is to cut off aid. Leave them to sink or swim?
    he gets the hate because of the way he goes about things , as if the louder you shout about something the more right you are, he gets hate cos advocates invading countries.

Ah right, hes not one of the "Dont get involved with corrupt murdering regimes that oppress their own people like Mugabe, instead give the corrupt murdering regime loads of money and hope they spend it on nice things for the people theyre oppressing" types, hence he is the devil.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

O'Shea strikes me as a simplistic egotist

I've done a fair bit of economic development work in developing countries over the past 20 years.

Every country is different. The optimum aid intervention depends on its economy, politics, region etc etc. No one wants to see aid money go for corrupt purposes but on the other hand if a foreign aid agency by passes the government and acts directly or at micro level they will condemn the country and its most talented staff to groundhog day. How would Ireland have transformed itself if the EU, International Fund, IMF etc had by passed our Government (acknowledge by all as corrupt to some extent) and given its aid directly to individuals? And ensuring that the most educated people were scooped up to work with the foreign NGOs and thus lost to Government (even it is is corrupt).

the most educated people were scooped up to work with the foreign NGOs and thus lost to Government (even it is is corrupt).

The most educated people do not work for the government.
    How would Ireland have transformed itself if the EU, International Fund, IMF etc had by passed our Government (acknowledge by all as corrupt to some extent) and given its aid directly to individuals?

Well, probably quite well - the one good decision the government made was to to lower taxation on corporations and individuals. The resulting boom was basic economics. Spending on education, health, justice etc etc wouldnt have been greatly affected if the EU had directly granted the budget to the relevant institutions and audited it. If nothing else, possibly less of the cash floating around Ireland in the early 90s would have found its way into Bertie Aherns "whiparounds" tray.

Ireland isnt a good example of aid anyway - Ireland in the 1980s, as bad as it was, was not interchangeable with Angola. Many 3rd world countries are fantastically wealthy in natural resources compared to Ireland. Whats holding them back in most cases is the corrupt governments and unjust protectionist trade agreements they labour under. If simply giving them lots of money with no questions asked was the solution, the 3rd world would be giving *us* aid by this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

John O'Shea is in the news again....... Bullying allegations this time?

- As for the new brand of Charity we've nurtured with our wallets - Can't say I agree with the careerists and massive, overly indulgent wages being paid to the 'superstars' of charity paper pushing.

Is it really a case of volunteers and poorly paid people actually doing the work abroad while Julian and Sorcha are paid €115,000+ a year to swan around Dublins posh restaurants and winebars???

Won't be getting my next donation anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

This thread is four years old. If you want to discuss a new turn of events regarding O'Shea, please start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement