Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austerity - not for Noonan, Ahern, Harney and Co

• 30-07-2012 6:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Yes, folks, while we are been told austerity is need to help the country get back on it's feet, some of our great national heros attended a lavish party held by tax exile JP McManus. This included of course some of those wonderful people who have destroyed the country but whom you are paying pensions of €100,000+ while they stick their noses in McManus's trough. The fact that Noonan was happily present at this function while the rest of us are expected to "bear the austerity" for me says it all.

What example does this set for the rest of us by Govt minister Noonan and is it a case of Nero playing his fiddle while Rome is burning ?

McManus honours horses with star-studded party

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcmanus-honours-horses-with-starstudded-party-3182672.html

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Those invited didn't have to pay. Non- issue, party was not held at cost to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Noonan is getting very fat. Nose in trough too often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Looks like a shít party anyway.

Only one woman mentioned in the list of those invited.

And that was Harney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did the boyos in the sulkies seriously think they would be allowed in :confused::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

The FG/Labour apologists are already in full swing - the same people who denounced Fianna Fail and the Galway tent where ' favours 'could be negotiated, nudge, nudge, wink wink. McManus gets to avoid paying tax because of various little laws he's able to use - bloodstock, tax domicile, etc. And the architects of his tax friendly environment swilling at the same trough. Fine example to be setting when the rest of us are told we have to have austerity :mad:

• Advertisement

The FG/Labour apologists are already in full swing - the same people who denounced Fianna Fail and the Galway tent where ' favours 'could be negotiated, nudge, nudge, wink wink. McManus gets to avoid paying tax because of various little laws he's able to use - bloodstock, tax domicile, etc. And the architects of his tax friendly environment swilling at the same trough. Fine example to be setting when the rest of us are told we have to have austerity :mad:

They are all the same FG, Labour, FF. It is all one BIG PARTY as this event proves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

No more morally repugnant and in fact less so than the ULA asking people to stop paying tax in the form of the household charge and then disgracefully and hypocritcally charging the taxpayer via their expenses for the pleasure of doing so or Mick Wallace not paying his VAT or several other politicians on the left or pseudo left who have sought to undermine this country one way or the other.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    No more morally repugnant and in fact less so than the ULA asking people to stop paying tax in the form of the household charge and then disgracefully and hypocritcally charging the taxpayer via their expenses for the pleasure of doing so or Mick Wallace not paying his VAT or several other politicians on the left or pseudo left who have sought to undermine this country one way or the other.

I'm afraid the country was undermined long before the Lefties got here. A quick look at the guest list will tell you who was responsible.

I'm afraid the country was undermined long before the Lefties got here. A quick look at the guest list will tell you who was responsible.

The left undermined this country in many many ways and we all know full well the examples of it. So did the right. If there is one thing I hate its one side saying it was all the other sides fault. The left and right got this country into a right mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭creedp

The left undermined this country in many many ways and we all know full well the examples of it. So did the right. If there is one thing I hate its one side saying it was all the other sides fault. The left and right got this country into a right mess.

Its all about relativities here .. who do your think were in a better position to influence policy over where this country now finds itself in .... Bertie Ahern et al and now the new kids on the block or Joe Higgins and his coterie of lefties??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Talk about grasping at straws.

Those invited didn't have to pay. Non- issue, party was not held at cost to the taxpayer.
    McManus and co. are filthy rich to a great degree thanks to the tax dodges that pass as tax legislation in this state i.e. tax exiles, blood stock etc. Not only that but the McManus's of this country avail of huge grants and the resources of this state to build up their empires, it seems to me that the taxpayer is to a very large extent the one paying for the pigs to stick their snout in the trough.

Ah yes, the "one is as bad as the other" half hearted excuse. Didn't see many ULAers or Independents like Ming Flanagan or Finan McGrath or Sinn Fein invivted to the big party did we ? Ever ask yourself why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

McManus and co. are filthy rich to a great degree thanks to the tax dodges that pass as tax legislation in this state i.e. tax exiles, blood stock etc. Not only that but the McManus's of this country avail of huge grants and the resources of this state to build up their empires, it seems to me that the taxpayer is to a very large extent the one paying for the pigs to stick their snout in the trough.

Which would happen whether or not he threw this party ! All the party does is allow him to invest a little bit of his wealth back into the local Limerick economy (food, catering staff, transport staff, entertainment) .. not sure why we would object to that !

Which would happen whether or not he threw this party ! All the party does is allow him to invest a little bit of his wealth back into the local Limerick economy (food, catering staff, transport staff, entertainment) .. not sure why we would object to that !

O.k. so that makes it right ?
    Now if I was to mention that the political crowd he invited were the very people who provided him with the tax-breaks ....
    He contributes zero tax towards this country but it's o.k. as long as he buys his party food in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Now if I was to mention that the political crowd he invited were the very people who provided him with the tax-breaks ....
    He contributes zero tax towards this country but it's o.k. as long as he buys his party food in Limerick.

Yes, it makes it OK that he is throwing a party. . It is not OK that he is not paying his fair share of tax but I have every confidence that Noonan et al will be able to address that situation and will not be overly influenced by the Dom Perignon . .

. . and it has almost nothing to do with austerity, as outlined in the thread title.

Yes, it makes it OK that he is throwing a party. . It is not OK that he is not paying his fair share of tax but I have every confidence that Noonan et al will be able to address that situation and will not be overly influenced by the Dom Perignon . .

. . and it has almost nothing to do with austerity, as outlined in the thread title.
    I think Noonan et al have made it quite clear who is going to have the austerity and who isn't :mad: FG/Labour and FF, two cheeks of the same ar$e.

Noonan is getting very fat. Nose in trough too often.
    Lapin wrote: »

And that was Harney.
    "No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
    - George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I wish I could share your naivety. I wonder if I invited all these people to a BBQ in my back garden, would they show up?

creedp wrote: »
    Its all about relativities here .. who do your think were in a better position to influence policy over where this country now finds itself in .... Bertie Ahern et al and now the new kids on the block or Joe Higgins and his coterie of lefties??

One word - benchmarking.

Actually, let's include some other words too - exhorbitant public sector pensions and golden handshakes

Cost us billions and the unions were central to it.

Now we have other unions and lefties advising us all to stop paying certain taxes at a time when we need all the money we can get to pay off our massive current budget deficit also caused in part by unions with the big fat wages and pensions of many of their members.

When all things are considered the unions also left this country tens of billions out of pocket. But hey they were back slapping Bertie and Cowen and Bertie and Cowen were back slapping them at all those partnership talks. I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

This country was screwed over from 1997-2007 and the unions were central to that as well as the bankers, developers and politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Name one single grant JP McManus has ever recieved from this state? Just one!
    McManus is a self made man, he is also a philantropist giving scholarships every year to disadvantaged kids from every county in Ireland.
    http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/postercompetition2011/index.php/scholarship-information/

A sum in excess of €40 million has been donated by JP McManus in support of third level education initiatives in Ireland. Some €35 million of this has been pledged in support of third level education scholarships throughout the 32 counties of Ireland, which sum includes €30 million in support of the All Ireland Scholarships Programme, €2 million in support of the Paddy Harrington Golf Scholarships at NUI Maynooth and €3 million to the JP McManus Scholarships at CBS Sexton Street Limerick.

It is estimated that over 1,300 students throughout the country will benefit from the All Ireland Scholarships Scheme over its duration. The scheme is administered on behalf of the Trustees by the Department of Education and Skills and the Department for Employment and Learning with support from the Department of Education in Northern Ireland.

There is a rancid smell of small minded begrudgery to this thread and your posts.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    McManus is a self made man, he is also a philantropist giving scholarships every year to disadvantaged kids from every county in Ireland.
    http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/postercompetition2011/index.php/scholarship-information/

A sum in excess of €40 million has been donated by JP McManus in support of third level education initiatives in Ireland. Some €35 million of this has been pledged in support of third level education scholarships throughout the 32 counties of Ireland, which sum includes €30 million in support of the All Ireland Scholarships Programme, €2 million in support of the Paddy Harrington Golf Scholarships at NUI Maynooth and €3 million to the JP McManus Scholarships at CBS Sexton Street Limerick.

It is estimated that over 1,300 students throughout the country will benefit from the All Ireland Scholarships Scheme over its duration. The scheme is administered on behalf of the Trustees by the Department of Education and Skills and the Department for Employment and Learning with support from the Department of Education in Northern Ireland.

There is a rancid smell of small minded begrudgery to this thread and your posts.

I wish I could choose where my money went too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

link to evidence for that claim?

link to evidence for that claim?

He is a Tax Exile.
    From Wiki -- While he has no previous history in the industry it appears that a significant part of McManus's wealth was actually derived as a private foreign exchange trader.His firm,Liberty Trust, is run from an office in Geneva, Switzerland. Switzerland is also McManus's "official" residence for tax purposes.[citation needed] McManus also maintains a permanent suite at London's Dorchester Hotel and also returns to his family home in Ireland on a regular basis.

Nice little chat about him here too --
    http://www.politicalworld.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭creedp

One word - benchmarking.

Actually, let's include some other words too - exhorbitant public sector pensions and golden handshakes

Cost us billions and the unions were central to it.

Now we have other unions and lefties advising us all to stop paying certain taxes at a time when we need all the money we can get to pay off our massive current budget deficit also caused in part by unions with the big fat wages and pensions of many of their members.

When all things are considered the unions also left this country tens of billions out of pocket. But hey they were back slapping Bertie and Cowen and Bertie and Cowen were back slapping them at all those partnership talks. I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

This country was screwed over from 1997-2007 and the unions were central to that as well as the bankers, developers and politicians.

Same auld story ... you would think that unions representing their members interests in this country is a crime, presumably in the same way as when IBEC represents business interests this is also a crime. In case you have forgotten the partnership was just that a partnership process. Because of this IBEC and the farmers, etc also signed off on benchmarking presumably because they got what they asked for (or more that what they asked for). Nobody ever asks/questions what other sectors got from this 'partnership process' .. always the same auld tune .. As a matter of interest can you tell me who didn't benefit from partnership? Presumably, the tax reductions/tax shelters/tax credits/rejeuvenation grants/structural funding grants/deregulation/ppp's/exhorbinant fees associated with tribunals/increases in social welfare & pensions& general supports/export credits/FDI supports/SSIA's/etc/etc were all negotiated by unions (I'm not so narrow minded as to think that unions only exist in the public sector) on behalf of public sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

There's a rancid smell all right but some things are so fully embedded in the Irish establishment that we'll probably never see the truth. Here's a couple of random quotes from the internet; please note that I'm not making any accusation or implication by this juxtposition:
    It is widely rumored that Irish entrepreneur Dermot Desmond, McManus and Lewis made well over a billion pounds - some say several billion - betting against -"shorting" - his country's Irish Punt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._McManus
    ONE of my fondest memories is of Bertie Ahern at a debate at Trinity College in Dublin shortly after the pound had left the European exchange rate mechanism in September 1992; Ireland was struggling with a punt that had stayed in while the pound had devalued by some 20pc.

Mr Ahern, then finance minister, had a mantra for the evening: "I will not devalue t'e punt". Of course within a few months he had done just that. Why? Because in those days when Ireland controlled its own interest rates and currency it would have been madness to be a fifth overvalued against the country of which you are virtually a part.

http://www.euro-know.org/europages/telegraph/dt000508.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We don't have a left and a right in this country. What we have are a bunch of self serving careerists hovering around the centre who will promise whatever they think will get them a vote, spout whatever political line they think is popular but will ultimately damn well ensure that themselves and their supporters are always well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This country was screwed over from 1997-2007

The screwing has been going on for centuries. Only difference after 1922 was that is was people who claimed to be our own who were doing the screwing.

Watch Diarmuid Ferriter's excellent series 'Limit of Liberty' and see what our founding father's really felt about the people of Ireland. It certainly wasn't a feeling of kinship and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Lapin wrote: »

And that was Harney.

Mary loves a good party so she does, charles kennedy style ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement