Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voter Reg: Is it too late?

Options
  • 27-03-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been campaigning for a YES vote in the same-sex marriage referendum, and some people have told me they haven't registered but want to vote. As far as I'm aware, it is too late to vote in the referendum, but you can still register to vote anyway.

Can I get clarification on;
    A) They can register to vote.
    B) A leads to these people in question having a vote in the May Referendum.

Many Spanks,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hi All,

I have been campaigning for a YES vote in the same-sex marriage referendum, and some people have told me they haven't registered but want to vote. As far as I'm aware, it is too late to vote in the referendum, but you can still register to vote anyway.

Many Spanks,
    James.

you can vote if you sign up to the supplementary register with the form RAF2 which needs to be witnessed by a garda https://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA2_English_Form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Hi All,

Many Spanks,
    James.

The form referenced in the post above can get you on to the supplemental register for the upcoming referendum if returned to your local council more than 14 working days in advance of polling day, so before the end of April.

I'm also campaigning and we will be hosting a 'register to vote day' where we'll get a bunch of these forms and a community guard together in an easily accessible venue so people can pop in and register quickly and easily, maybe this would be a good idea for you? Then you could direct everyone who asks to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Thanks for the advice!!

I just realised that myself and my sister were somehow removed from the Register of Electors. Very annoyed. We both work temporary contracts and move about quite a bit for work. She's only finished college last summer. We always kept out parent's address as the correspondence address for everything; payslips, work contracts, tax forms and voting!! It just seemed easier than having important documents going to rented accommodation but now we've gotten stung!!

This is something that could affect a lot of young people returning home to vote! I never realised that my name could be removed from the register without any contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice!!

I just realised that myself and my sister were somehow removed from the Register of Electors. Very annoyed. We both work temporary contracts and move about quite a bit for work. She's only finished college last summer. We always kept out parent's address as the correspondence address for everything; payslips, work contracts, tax forms and voting!! It just seemed easier than having important documents going to rented accommodation but now we've gotten stung!!

This is something that could affect a lot of young people returning home to vote! I never realised that my name could be removed from the register without any contact.

there should have been some contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Ask a stupid question, but my brother asked me if we have to register for this again. We were registered to vote already and the polling cards arrive at our home place for every election/referendum.

I assume it's no different this time? I know it sounds daft but I wanted to be 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Checktheregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

efb wrote: »
    Checktheregister.ie

Doesn't find me, even though I'm registered. Tried it ages ago and just now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Doesn't find me, even though I'm registered. Tried it ages ago and just now again.

That's how I realised I wasn't on the register. Try searching the names of other people in your household and make sure its just you. Any chance you were living temporarily somewhere else during last year?

Sorry expectationlost, I only saw your comment there. I don't think there was any contact. But after living abroad for two years, people at home have gotten into the habit of opening my mail to check if its anything important. Something could have gotten lost or tossed out without me reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I registered to vote as part of a campaign at my university, I was baffled and annoyed to find out recently that I still wasn't on the Register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You can phone or call in to the local council to verify the accuracy of checktheregister.ie. It could be as simple as a misspelled name or an unfinished database.

If you're not on it you still have until the 5th of May to get on the supplemental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you are still not on the register you can go on the supplementary register

Fill out an rfa2 form

Get it signed by gardai

Send it to your county council

http://www.checktheregister.ie/PublicPages/AppForms.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jenpenjelly

Hi, so I just got my polling card today and my name is misspelled will this be a problem because I assume it wud be to late to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

I wouldn't say so. Once you bring proof of address, and valid photoID to the polling station it should be ok. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Advertisement