Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Iron ore Railhead Unloading facility

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is a traverser which is basically a section of the track the length of an 071 that can slide between the two tracks as needed. The loco is slid over and returns to the other end of the train and the wagons are pushed in one by one and the loco has to swap between pushing the wagons and hauling a single one out and adding it to the end of the train as it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

There is a traverser which is basically a section of the track the length of an 071 that can slide between the two tracks as needed. The loco is slid over and returns to the other end of the train and the wagons are pushed in one by one and the loco has to swap between pushing the wagons and hauling a single one out and adding it to the end of the train as it goes.

Ingenious! I wondered about that too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The process is a bit more complecated than that.

1. Loco and wagons arrive on tramway.

2. Loco runs around its train.

3. Loco propells into the right hand side of the facility.

3. The unloading machine takes one wagon at a time, lifts the wagon up, tips out the ore.

4. The wagon is then traversed over to the other rail and pushed out to the left side.

5. Loco shunts forward for the next wagon.

6. Aftet 6 wagons are done, the loco has to uncouple from the remaining 6, shunt onto the left road and draw forward the first 6 wagons unloaded as the machine cannot push any more out.

7. The loco returns to the remaining 6 to be unloaded. And shunts them in as before.

8. Once all are processed, the loco shunts light engine onto the other road to collect all 12 wagons, bearing in mind it has to couple up the two separate 6 wagons.

9. Loco draws the whole train back onto the tramway and back to Drogheda / Tara Mines.

So the leading wagon going in is the leading one going out.

When I say left or right siding, that is when you are looking in from the road.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have seen footage of a single wagon being shunted out and added to the rear of the train and then pushed in with the rest so I assumed it was done one by one. In groups of 6 sounds more reasonable as the one by one process would take an age and alot of shunting movements for the loco and point switching.

Advertisement