Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on Photo Thread

Options
  • 04-02-2014 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭

Some people have been complaining that the photo thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056341985 has become a bit too chatty with not enough pics.

Do you want it made "no pic, no post" like photo threads in some other forums?

Separately, the rules on that thread have been revised.

Do you want the photo thread made "no pic, no post"? 21 votes

Yes - "no pic, no post"
    0%
    No - leave it as it is
    52%
    dreginBowWowRashers72Cookie_MonsterCaptainSkidmarkSalmon Leapflyingsnailn0brain3rroundymacMGWRnerve agent 11 votes
    Keep the chat to a minimum
    47%
    jhnnflaziocml387The_WandererHungerfordClovenHoofmetrovick001end of the roaddavidlaceyGMKK96 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

think every photo should have it's own thread in which to discuss the photo.I rarely bother with the photo thread which is a shame as I am missing some great photos probably. What is the point someone posting a photo and then not being allowed to say anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

No - leave it as it is
    The no pic no post with a separate thread dedicated to the discussion about the pictures model seems to work well in the emergency services form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

No - leave it as it is
    The no pic no post with a separate thread dedicated to the discussion about the pictures model seems to work well in the emergency services form.

And in the Aviation forum too.

To me the choices are to have either "no post-no pic" or leave as is. I don't think its possible to have it as "keep chat to a minimum" - its to subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

No - leave it as it is
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Keep the chat to a minimum
    i like it as it is

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

I don't see any issue. Photos here are generally redirects to another site. There are also a hell of a lot of photos. Chats about something particularly significant in one of the many photos which go up is fine. The way the Aviation forum do it is really odd. I could not be arsed trying to find a post in a separate thread to make sure I am not double posting about the photo I am curious about when the question can be put up in the photo thread itself. On the other hand, the Aviation and Motors forums have individual photos which can make discussion difficult which is then a reason why I would consider a separate thread.

As long as the discussion is about the photos, leave it as it is, while keeping general chat to a minimum if anything. The way photos are linked to here works very well and changing it is getting overly silly without good reason.

Oh, and I do not see the point of that new rule that was added.
    Is it so people get a sense of what is in the photo set? If it is that, then it doesn't make sense.
    Are you expecting the photographers to find their favourite and have that? It doesn't mean it would be my favourite.
    A decent description of what is in the set is fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I see both sides of the story here.

Photo's need a certain amount of dialogue and by extension it can open up a bit of talk but it can go too far at times. Maybe we could have a banter and OT chat thread set up whereby conversations can be homed. Some fora have such a set up and it works well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I opted for keep chat to a minimum. If a photo starts a whole new debate about its content then the debate could be spun off into its own thread with the relevant PIC in the first post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's come on and seen 2 new pages added to the thread only to find no pics and lots of chat and found it a bit annoying. I actually think the aviation and aircraft set up works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bbk wrote: »
    Oh, and I do not see the point of that new rule that was added.
    Is it so people get a sense of what is in the photo set? If it is that, then it doesn't make sense.
    People are complaining they are coming to a photo thread to find no photos, but a discussion about a link to another website.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    People are complaining they are coming to a photo thread to find no photos, but a discussion about a link to another website.

Well it is that or split the chat and host the photos on Boards or use thumbnails/embedded photos and then cause issues with peoples bandwidth or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

No - leave it as it is
    corktina wrote: »
    think every photo should have it's own thread in which to discuss the photo.I rarely bother with the photo thread which is a shame as I am missing some great photos probably. What is the point someone posting a photo and then not being allowed to say anything about it?

Every photo have its own thread????? Thats madness.

in the aviation section there is thread for photos only and then another for talking about all the photos. it works really well.

Its a pain in the rear going into the photo thread here just to see pages and pages of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Well what was decided, leaving it as it is seems to have got lowest vote. I voted to keep chat to a min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

No - leave it as it is
    you cant keep the chat to a minimum? Its one or the other.

Advertisement