Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Cast/wireless speaker systems...

Options
  • 06-07-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭

So... I'm considering putting together a wireless speaker system... Buying one speaker at a time until I have a good spread and good coverage...

What is the general consensus on these systems?

My main aim will be to play digital files from my phone... often loud, but with a reasonable amount of bass and good clarity.

The systems I am looking at are
    Sonos: http://www.sonos.com/en-wo?r=1
    LG: http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...surround-sound
    Bose: Didin't have a system that was integrated enough... seems a bit thrown together and unpleasant...

Am I better off waiting for something better to come along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

You can't go wrong with Sonos.

Expensive yes, but sound quality is fantastic.

Have the Play 1 & will be picking up another one shortly.

Using it with Spotify & Tune In radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can't go wrong with Sonos.

Expensive yes, but sound quality is fantastic.

Have the Play 1 & will be picking up another one shortly.

Using it with Spotify & Tune In radio.

The thing that puts me off is the lack of support for casting... I'm living in a region with a lack of options for music streaming or even downloading...

Forgot the whole reliance on Wifi with Sonos thing.....

Avoid Sonos if you don't have a decent broadband/wireless setup. It will be useless to you.

Maybe check out Bose Bluetooth speakers.

Forgot the whole reliance on Wifi with Sonos thing.....

Avoid Sonos if you don't have a decent broadband/wireless setup. It will be useless to you.

Maybe check out Bose Bluetooth speakers.

Wireless and broadband aren't the problem, its the lack of streaming services... Can't subscribe to anything here because the record labels won't negotiate terms for royalties... So there's no streaming at all... No Spotify, Google Play etc...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Wireless and broadband aren't the problem, its the lack of streaming services... Can't subscribe to anything here because the record labels won't negotiate terms for royalties... So there's no streaming at all... No Spotify, Google Play etc...

Ah ok but you can play files you have stored on your phone/tablet via Sonos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

You can stream Spotify and other music services via DLNA or uPnP, using Bubble uPnP, rooted device and Xposed Module Audiocast integrated into Bubble.

Check out here:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/10/bubbleupnp-update-allows-root-users-to-stream-audio-from-most-apps-to-any-upnp-or-dlna-device/

You can stream Spotify and other music services via DLNA or uPnP, using Bubble uPnP, rooted device and Xposed Module Audiocast integrated into Bubble.

Check out here:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/10/bubbleupnp-update-allows-root-users-to-stream-audio-from-most-apps-to-any-upnp-or-dlna-device/

The problem is that I can't access Spotify... it's blocked...

theres plenty of hearsay that there'll be new 'google cast' speakers out this year, but has anyone got any infor on them?

The LG set are looking like the best bet at the moment... Pity coz I like the sound from the Sonos, they just need to add casting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

The problem is that I can't access Spotify... it's blocked...

Sorry, did not see your location.

Smart DNS or VPN work?

This Smart DNS is free at present.

http://dns-trick.com/

I dropped into Carrefour on the way home from work to have a look at the LG system... They had the HS7 for a little over €200, with 4.1 soundbar and subwoofer (massive bargain)... So as I'm heading to the checkout the sales guy chased me down to tell me he'll throw in a H3 speaker free as they had another promotion starting tomorrow... Great sound out of this thing! Eventually I'll add another H3 to make my living room surround sound and I'll add a H5 in the bedroom.

Another bonus is that I discovered that Deezer works here... What a great day

• Advertisement

I was planning to add speakers, one peice at a time to expand this system. My plan was to get another H3 to make the living room surround sound & a H5 for the bedroom... however, getting the H3 for free got me thinking... so I went back to Carrefour and picked up a H7 for the bedroom, and they threw in another H3 for free.

I now have a full surround sound system & a separate bedroom speaker, and I only bought two speakers... I'm pretty happy with myself!

I'd love to add a H4 portable... but, I hate the fact you have to plug it in rather than having a base station. So, until they sort that out I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

H4 is €419 here. Ouch that ain't right!
    Had a play with it in Curry's recently and sounds great.
    If you have more than 1 speaker do you need a hub/bridge or will they all hook up without any additional hardware?
    From what I could tell you can use a soundbar to act as the hub for multi room playback

You don't need the bridge/hub unless you have a big house that effects your wifi.

My soundbar is the installed speaker, and all others are added, but not reliant on it. However some are connected via ethernet, some via 5ghz wifi and some via 2.5ghz wifi... all depending on their proximity to the router and or ethernet point... very flexible altogether...

The 2.5ghz channel uses a wider network, while the 5ghz is more powerful, but over shorter distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

You don't need the bridge/hub unless you have a big house that effects your wifi.

My soundbar is the installed speaker, and all others are added, but not reliant on it. However some are connected via ethernet, some via 5ghz wifi and some via 2.5ghz wifi... all depending on their proximity to the router and or ethernet point... very flexible altogether...

The 2.5ghz channel uses a wider network, while the 5ghz is more powerful, but over shorter distance...

Can you play same music muti room and also play different music on each speaker

Can you play same music muti room and also play different music on each speaker

Yeh, you can set up groups of speakers or use them as individuals... You can play one song to 3 speakers, and have the fourth playing something different, you can have surround sound playing from the TV and a different cluster playing music, or you can have a different song on every speaker...

Just noticed that LG are giving away speakers in the UK when you buy a soundbar... I presume they'll offer the same deal in Ireland, or at least over the interweb...

www.lg.co.uk/musicflow_promotion

355217.jpg

Advertisement