Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hehehe, guess what the biggest demographic in gaming is?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 11:15am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/

It's women over 18 - 37% of total market share :)

News like this fills me with joy and the "ethics" crowd with dread because obviously this will mean that everything is going to get changed (cause obviously the 37% of ladies who play didn't enjoy any of the games that are already out :rolleyes:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Interesting statistic, 95% of women over 18 play Candy Crush and FarmVille :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you take out mobile gaming how much would the numbers drop by?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why would you take out mobile gaming? what's that got to do with a survey about gaming as a whole?

If you get out mobile gaming how much wouldzthe numbers drop by?

Based on statistical studies in this thread, they would drop 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

why would you take out mobile gaming? what's that got to do with a survey about gaming as a whole?

Because that would leave console games and PC. It's a subset of gaming, hence related.

All I asked was how much the numbers would change by without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This must only be mobile gaming...I've never heard a lady ask me for a ps4 or xbone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This article is 19 months old. The link at the end of the article gives a 404 but here's a link to the report.

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 45,096 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well you would take it out or leave it in based on what you actual target demographic is.

EA aren't going to aim the next Battlefield at this female demographic because (in all likelihood) the vast majority of that demographic are not paying €70 for a AAA FPS game on a next-gen console.

At the same time, if they are looking to create the next candy-crush they will aim at that demographic.

You'd want to be some fecking moron to look at a headline figure like that and think you should aim all games on all delivery platforms at this big demographic.

So, as always, statistics are meaningless when viewed without context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

anyone who has taken even half a glance at the 'ethics'/gamergate/whateverthe**** crowd will easily be able to spot that there are loads of women who are pretty active in what passes for their community. this ridiculous meme that they hate women and are trying to drive them out of gaming is obviously not going away any time soon but it's just so obviously untrue that you really have to wonder about the sort of person who keeps trying to push it as a genuine point of view

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

That women play in gaming is hardly a revelation, and neither is the SJW types trying to lump them all into one homogenous class so as to push against whatever strawman strawperson is in their sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I've always wanted to get the missus into video games.
    I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

The last time she played was probably the sims on her brother's pc when she was 14.

Do you know many female gamers?
    Are you a female gamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well, with that demographic should people not take notice and try and figure out ways to get them gamers on current gen platforms. They should be viewing mobile gaming as a gateway into console/pc gaming and try their best in some way to appeal to that larger percentage in order to get more money. They'd be fools not to, they just need a hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. The wimmins love it.

BMX-XXX, it's empowering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

rizzla wrote: »
    Well, with that demographic should people not take notice and try and figure out ways to get them gamers on current gen platforms. They should be viewing mobile gaming as a gateway into console/pc gaming and try their best in some way to appeal to that larger percentage in order to get more money. They'd be fools not to, they just need a hook.

i dont think you're ever going to get their average 43 year old facebook gamer buying a ps4. they did buy the wiiu alright but apparently not all that many games for it.

more and more women are going to play games just because gaming is everywhere now, in a way it wasn't back in the 90's and even the early 00's. the idea that young girls aren't playing xbox and playstation with young boys is laughable, they will grow up and most likely continue to just play games the way they will continue to just listen to music or watch tv.

i really don't think it's going to do a god damn thing to stop the onslaught of Call of duty 59 or generic action platformer seventy eight. It will just mean there will be a new market for huge selling generic sim games and rpg's that are equally as bland and imagination free as what typically sells to young boys and men today.

women aren't going to save the gaming industry, men aren't destroying the gaming industry. people are just people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Well you would take it out or leave it in based on what you actual target demographic is.

EA aren't going to aim the next Battlefield at this female demographic because (in all likelihood) the vast majority of that demographic are not paying €70 for a AAA FPS game on a next-gen console.

At the same time, if they are looking to create the next candy-crush they will aim at that demographic.

You'd want to be some fecking moron to look at a headline figure like that and think you should aim all games on all delivery platforms at this big demographic.

So, as always, statistics are meaningless when viewed without context.

I wasn't saying to start targeting more to women. This is simply a report done by ESA that covers america about gaming. I just questioned why someone would want to take out mobile gaming (or any other section of gaming) out of their report.

I just feel like mobile gaming has gotten a hugely bad rep because of IAP and people exploiting it, but it's so much more. Monument Valley, Alto's Adventure, Her Story etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The last time she played was probably the sims on her brother's pc when she was 14.

Are you a female gamer?

Pick something close to her common interests - do ye watch stuff like game of thrones, or the walking dead? - then have a look at the telltale games. They're really only interactive stories, but They're a good gateway.

The main thing is not to pick something that has a massively convoluted control scheme or lots of different in game mechanics.

My missus really like the Telltale stuff, and the Sims, and Mario, and Rayman, and Animal Crossing, and Professor Layton....

"Real Female Gamers" probably hate her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Cormac... wrote:
    My missus really like the Telltale stuff, and the Sims, and Mario, and Rayman, and Animal Crossing, and Professor Layton....

"Real Female Gamers" probably hate her

I don't understand, in a Female Gamer and I enjoy most of these games. Why does that define me as "not a real gamer"? :/

She could also try pokemon and all its spinoffs.

CliCliW wrote: »
    I don't understand, in a Female Gamer and I enjoy most of these games. Why does that define me as "not a real gamer"? :/

She could also try pokemon and all its spinoffs.

I was being sarcastic/tounge in cheek, I don't want to go down this whole rat hole again, hence the quotation marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

There is a massive difference in someone who purchases a gaming PC or current gen console and the €40-€60 games vs someone who plays 'Candy Crush' for 15 minutes a day during lunch. Making time to play games vs. playing games to kill time.

I wish they broke down what ages and genders played on what system and find it odd that they did not do that as I think they'd definitely have the data. I think it'd be interesting. That being said, I think the number of actual female gamers (minus mobile) is a lot higher than people think, but certainly not the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

rizzla wrote: »
    Or are they trying to keep them exactly where they are because the profit margins on mobile and social games are better (AFAIK) than AA / AAA console and PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Keno wrote: »
    There is a massive difference in someone who purchases a gaming PC or current gen console and the €40-€60 games vs someone who plays 'Candy Crush' for 15 minutes a day during lunch. Making time to play games vs. playing games to kill time.

But likewise, many would think there's a huge difference between someone spending €2,000 on a gaming rig with 5 screens who plays games for 4-5 hours a day, and someone who buys a console but mostly just uses it for Netflix/dvds and the occasional game of Fifa when friends come over.

Do we need to create arbitrary separation for different levels of "gaming"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This must only be mobile gaming...I've never heard a lady ask me for a ps4 or xbone yet.

You're going to the wrong places my man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Calling people ''gamers'' who solely play mobile/facebook games is like calling someone a ''movie buff'' who's extent of movie watching is a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are you a female gamer?

My girlfriend is interested in trying out games. Thinking of finding some of the Lego games for a cheap price and starting her off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Calling people ''gamers'' who solely play mobile/facebook games is like calling someone a ''movie buff'' who's extent of movie watching is a trailer.

Its exactly that kind of sentiment that pushes newcomers away.

would you tell someone who's playing scrabble that they're not worthy because they arent playing monopoly?

I grew up on games on the atari 2600 and commodore 64, playing games that were for the most part, pretty simple.
    most mobile games now are plenty more technical in terms of the things you do while playing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I think it's misleading in a big way. The term "gamer" would generally be interpreted as a hard core enthusiast who spends hours on end and large amounts of money on gaming. To lump people who play 5 mins of candycrush while waiting in traffic into the gamer category is not accurate.
    I know no women who participate in what would be considered gaming culture.

No offence dude but if your missus isn't into games then you shouldn't be trying to coax her into it if you care about her. There are healthier pursuits out there. Personally, I'd consider spending €5k on a rig and spending 4-5 hours a day plonked in front of it to be a very expensive, unhealthy and ultimately unproductive habit to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Penn wrote: »
    But likewise, many would think there's a huge difference between someone spending €2,000 on a gaming rig with 5 screens who plays games for 4-5 hours a day, and someone who buys a console but mostly just uses it for Netflix/dvds and the occasional game of Fifa when friends come over.

Do we need to create arbitrary separation for different levels of "gaming"?

I think the industry needs the data. There is no context in the above study. Lumping everyone who plays a mobile game for 10 minutes to the scenario in your post with the €2000 rig is redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Taylor365 wrote: »

Why?

Take Clash of Clans for an example (because it's the only mobile game I play). Yes, most of it is the whole thing of earning enough money to upgrade things, then waiting for hours/days for it to upgrade (or use real money to speed it up of course).

But, attacking other people's bases, whether in a war or just looting, requires planning, strategy and timing. And I'm in a clan with a few women, including my sister who doesn't play console games. But the skills you need for console games are the same skills you need for some mobile games. Sure, maybe to a lesser extent, but again, why do we need to create arbitrary separation between what is or isn't a game/gamer?

Advertisement