Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

anyone wanna buy my copy? PS4 located in kimmage.

ill borrow my brothers copy when i wanna play

Disappointing that the number of courses is so limited.

The last TW I had you got a bunch off the bat and they had another bunch on DLC which you could earn with in game coins... It was a slog getting them all at their cheapest(1 for 3500, 3 for 7000 etc) but at least you weren't forced to pay.

I noticed the menu mentions a new course in Sept which I think it highlights is free(?) but there doesn't even seem to be paid DLC off the bat.

I doubt I'll finish my 10 hour trial, hopefully when its added to the vault they add loads of extra courses for free, but a bad launch doesn't inspire the resolve to continue support.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Shiminay wrote: »
    Always loved the Tiger Woods games for a couch game, especially if there are some beverages and devilment with house rules (our favourite was the "'ave it rule" where once per 18 holes, you could be told to 'ave it where you had to take out your driver and do your best to get a maximum powered shot regardless of your position on the hole). Haven't played them in a while so am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

tried out the "ave it" rule in pro evo tonight.
    10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

How long does it take to install?? I still only have prologue and play now. Been on for about an hour and a half.

Anywhere i can see a status bar even?

How long does it take to install?? I still only have prologue and play now. Been on for about an hour and a half.

Anywhere i can see a status bar even?

My brothers took less than an hour and mine alot more. So much so that I posted about it a par ago or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I like it. Sure there's not a great deal of depth and online is pretty much useless, but its a good game to just sit back and play away at. Few mates around and turn all the aids off should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Finally got it installed, Game is ****e. Online is crap and so is the rest of the game big disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Well... this looks like a bargain bin buy at best, these games never take too long before hitting it anyway.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    I like it. Sure there's not a great deal of depth and online is pretty much useless, but its a good game to just sit back and play away at. Few mates around and turn all the aids off should be fun.

What do you mean the online is pretty much useless ?

Well... this looks like a bargain bin buy at best, these games never take too long before hitting it anyway.

What do you mean the online is pretty much useless ?

There were no head to head games available most times i tried. And it wouldn't connect some times. Played one head to head and after it I was immediately just chucked out to the main menu, basically no incentive to play again.

The daily and weekly tournament seems the best bet. Haven't delved in to it much, just played one game and it seems like you've to wait a day or week for the next game.

There were no head to head games available most times i tried. And it wouldn't connect some times. Played one head to head and after it I was immediately just chucked out to the main menu, basically no incentive to play again.

The daily and weekly tournament seems the best bet. Haven't delved in to it much, just played one game and it seems like you've to wait a day or week for the nrext game.

I've never had such problems.

My negatives about online play is there is no commentators and I rarely get to have a look at what the others are up to. The odd Laggy weird looking putt with a teleporting ball is all I see from myopponents

• Advertisement

The daily and weekly tournament seems the best bet. Haven't delved in to it much, just played one game and it seems like you've to wait a day or week for the next game.

Even more reason to hold off buying yet so, after a price cut the player base might build up quicker.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    I've never had such problems.

My negatives about online play is there is no commentators and I rarely get to have a look at what the others are up to. The odd Laggy weird looking putt with a teleporting ball is all I see from myopponents

Did they get rid of opponents ball trails when your playing simultaneous 4 player ?

Even more reason to hold off buying yet so, after a price cut the player base might build up quicker.

Did they get rid of opponents ball trails when your playing simultaneous 4 player ?

Still there. Though I only seen 1 player for some reason, there were 3 of us playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I like it actually, the golf itself is really nice. Enjoying the pro tour. I'm sure they'll fix up the online features in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Was watching a live stream of the game.. The guy was -30 after 3 rounds..

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Was watching a live stream of the game.. The guy was -30 after 3 rounds..

Its easy if you don't change the settings. You can make it as easy or as hard as you wish. It'd up to the individual

I rented this and not feeling it at all. The ambient sounds just seem to cut out randomly and can only hear the ball being struck, atmosphere feels dead..

Is there any way to turn off the player animations after every shot you take, so the camera just follows the ball immediately after its struck ?, there really bugging me.. and im not liking the no putt preview either, along with the circular power indicator instead of a bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

got this today.

Hadnt read or heard anything about it but I always worry with EA golf games cause they like to leave content out every couple of years.

Disappointing to see this is one of those editions

No loading though is such a plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Haven't had a golf game in several years, so I'm quite enjoying this iteration.

That said, I'm having the same problem with this game as I have with the Tiger Wood's games in the past, and that is my character is a dick. Reacting like a child when shots go bad, or I don't get the putt (it's a 50 ft putt! There's no reason to react so badly) ... and even worse when I get a birdy or a good hole ... he does the robot or dances around like a tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Picked this up at the reduced price on the PS Store, absolutely rubbish game. Looks and plays very poorly, menus are awful. The Golf Club is a superior game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I think it looks and plays just fine, it's actually great. It's the online that is terrible, hopefully they can fix that up. The Golf Club is ok but that Unity Engine becomes apparent quickly, and God bless him but the commentator needs a slap at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This is on sale on the PS store for €35.
    Anyone played it? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked it up yesterday for €35 in GameStop. Like others, haven't owned a TW game for a good few years, and was surprised to learn that this is the first PGA game on the PS4.

Anyway, my initial impressions are mixed. It plays alright, but I've noticed some bad lag between actions. Like, you backswing, flick forward to frontswing, and there's a stop in the animation, like it's loading from backswing to frontswing. Same with moving from the shot to player animation, like a jagged jump that's very noticeable.

The no loading is good in fairness, makes the game appear to go more smoothly. I didn't know until I read this thread that you need to change settings to make it harder, as the putting is crazy easy on the default settings - it shows you the direction the ball should go, so you just line up the marker with the outside of the curve of the predicted path. It doesn't change with you, it shows how the ball should go in constantly, and automatically sets the power and distance, so it's just a case of lining it up without too much thought.

I did play the last PGA on someone elses Xbone, and they had this meter which reduced when used for additional power or ball spin, and could only be restored with good play. Made the game better as you needed the same meter for putting preview. This one, like the older games, hammer away! You get less XP, but it's like 5xp or something. No issue.

I've no idea how many courses I have, there was a 10gb update when I installed, so i'm guessing there's more courses, etc. So far, i'm finding it very easy. I'm in my second course of the first tour, and I won the first one at -17, a good -11 more than the next player (McIlroy). And it took me a while to figure out how to play the full course in tour mode, as it was only giving me 3-9 holes per round and simulating the rest! I've 2 full rounds done in the second tour course, and i'm already -13. Must change the putting. But I don't know if it'll be the same as the last few games where you have the full power marker and you bring it back to the hole and it tells you how much % of power you need to use.

I'll stick with it for another while, see how it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Bought this the last day

And got to say its not as bad as people said

The game itself is quiet enjoyable

Where it falls down is the modes

And my player is something that looks like ps2

Its a bit of a joke when all the rest of the EA games have the option to use a picture online to create your likeness that this game doesnt have it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Bought this the last day

And got to say its not as bad as people said

The game itself is quiet enjoyable

Where it falls down is the modes

And my player is something that looks like ps2

Its a bit of a joke when all the rest of the EA games have the option to use a picture online to create your likeness that this game doesnt have it

It's improved an awful lot since it was released. Plenty of new courses and single player game modes. I picked it up last year for €35 and it was money well spent.
    The biggest issue I still have is the online multiplayer game mode is still bare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

It's improved an awful lot since it was released. Plenty of new courses and single player game modes. I picked it up last year for €35 and it was money well spent.
    The biggest issue I still have is the online multiplayer game mode is still bare.

I spent a tenner on it

Went half with my brother

Like it is the sort of game I put on to pass a few hours

The created player looking so crap annoys me, when it was better on the ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I spent a tenner on it

Went half with my brother

Like it is the sort of game I put on to pass a few hours

The created player looking so crap annoys me, when it was better on the ps3

Its on the Playstation store now for €6.99

Advertisement