Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone use carprotect.ie?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Im buying a 2008 Mondeo from a dealer that comes with no warranty.

He said I have the option of buying a warranty from http://carprotect.ie/

I looked it up and 2 year premium cover costs €349.

Anyone use this crowd or recommend another?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Isn't dealer obliged to provide 3 month warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I always believed a dealer had to by law to provide a warranty with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Leaving aside the assumed obligations of a dealer to provide a warranty, those third party warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

They are the same as the extended warranties that had been discredited for most consumer goods all over the world, they are crap value for money because...

1. There are loads of exclusion clauses, example...

Timing belts are included providing that the last due change of belt has taken place as specified by the Manufacturers schedule (proof required). Damage subsequently caused if the timing belt has not been changed as specified by the Manufacturer is specifically excluded.

Which effectively means that they are not covering timing belts.

2. You are buying an insurance policy. The guy who sells you the extended warranty (in your case the dealer) gets a slice of the action, the Irish agent also gets a kickback and the insurance company who underwrite the policy makes a profit.

It's simply a case of too many snouts in the trough - you lose.

These people have been around since about the 1970s, they allow small time dealers to offer a 'warranty' when in fact what you get is a piece of paper that is completely worthless.

Here's the killer disclaimer....

No liability will be accepted for consequential damage on, or caused by parts not specifically listed in this document, faults on the Vehicle at the time of purchase, attributable to the faulty previous repair or servicing of the Vehicle, use of an incorrect grade or type of fuel or oil, faults associated
    with routine maintenance or servicing or progressive failures.

All they have to do is claim that the component which failed was faulty at the time you bought the car in which case they can tell you to PFO and you can wipe your arse with the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I agree that 3rd party warranties are worthless - I once worked in PC Tech Support and the number of customers who bought extended warranty in-store and then discovered they were utterly useless was shocking.
    I have no reason to believe a 3rd party motor warranty would be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If you are buying an 08 car and not getting a 1 Year warranty, walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

coylemj wrote: »
    Leaving aside the assumed obligations of a dealer to provide a warranty, those third party warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

They are the same as the extended warranties that had been discredited for most consumer goods all over the world, they are crap value for money because...

1. There are loads of exclusion clauses, example...

Timing belts are included providing that the last due change of belt has taken place as specified by the Manufacturers schedule (proof required). Damage subsequently caused if the timing belt has not been changed as specified by the Manufacturer is specifically excluded.

2. You are buying an insurance policy. The guy who sells you the extended warranty (in your case the dealer) gets a slice of the action, the Irish agent also gets a kickback and the insurance company who underwrite the policy makes a profit.

It's simply a case of too many snouts in the trough - you lose.

These people have been around since about the 1970s, they allow small time dealers to offer a 'warranty' when in fact what you get is a piece of paper that is completely worthless.

Here's the killer disclaimer....

No liability will be accepted for consequential damage on, or caused by parts not specifically listed in this document, faults on the Vehicle at the time of purchase, attributable to the faulty previous repair or servicing of the Vehicle, use of an incorrect grade or type of fuel or oil, faults associated
    with routine maintenance or servicing or progressive failures.

All they have to do is claim that the component which failed was faulty at the time you bought the car in which case they can tell you to PFO and you can wipe your arse with the warranty.

I agree that they're hard to claim from but how does your post imply they don't cover timing belt failures. Obviously it needs to be changed as per manufacturers recommendations.

I had one of these before and they screw you on "wear and tear". But they did pay out for a few things all the same (different company).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Doesn't EU law state you have to be provided 6 months warranty regardless?

Edit: 12 months

""Liability for defects", which lasts for 12 months."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

"Protect yourself from furutre bills from NCT failure, with our comprehensive NCT Cover"

LOL Fail

Actually, are these warranties only available to dealers? Can't see any quote option.

• Advertisement

If you change the timing belt according to the manufacturer's schedule you will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty on the part, that means that the extended warranty people don't have to provide cover on it.

And if you do replace it according to the manufacturer's schedule the chances are that it won't break, that's why I said that the extended warranty effectively aren't covering the timing belt - note the underlined word. They are claiming to cover it but imposing Ts & Cs which means that they are charging you money to cover a non-existent risk.

If you change the timing belt according to the manufacturer's schedule you will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty on the part, that means that the extended warranty people don't have to provide cover on it.

And if you do replace it according to the manufacturer's schedule the chances are that it won't break, that's why I said that the extended warranty effectively aren't covering the timing belt - note the underlined word. They are claiming to cover it but imposing Ts & Cs which means that they are charging you money to cover a non-existent risk.

So you think they should provide cover for someone who doesn't bother changing their TB? Of course they require people to change the TB according to schedule - they would be mad not to! They aren't going to stay in business long covering parts which they think WILL fail.

Doesn't EU law state you have to be provided 6 months warranty regardless?

Edit: 12 months

""Liability for defects", which lasts for 12 months."

On a 2nd hand car?

So you think they should provide cover for someone who doesn't bother changing their TB? Of course they require people to change the TB according to schedule - they would be mad not to! They aren't going to stay in business long covering parts which they think WILL fail.

I don't know why you're on your high horse on this point. What I'm trying to say is that imposing conditions like they are is effectively ensuring that they will never have to pay out, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Right I went with my gut feeling and walked away.

Just got a bad feeling about it when I got home. He was more interested in pushing this used car warranty then answering questions about the car.
    Also too much small print on the policy u would take out.

Had a feeling if anything went wrong with the car it would be a nitemare to sort out.
    If it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't.

Thanks for all the opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barf

Hi, I bought my car (Astra 06) in Feb this year with a year of CarProtect warranty. I paid no extra money. So... I suspect a radiator leakage and will try to deal with the CP within next few days. I'll let you all know was it nice experience;)

I hope they let me choose a car mechanic, because I don't want to someone, whom I don't trust do anything with my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barf

there is the booklet:
    http://www.carprotect.ie/documents/car-protect-warranty-booklet.pdf

have a look at types of cover and you will know all you want to know.
    Mine dosn't cover radiator :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They will only fix something that goes wrong if it's as a result of a manufacturer fault. And that's after investigation. I have a car protect warranty on a car I bought recently and noticed a bust shock. They wont cover it unless it's a faulty part and the garage said it's a consumable so they wont cover it. I have a report from an independent stating the shock has been bust for a while now but the garage said it wasn't like that when they sold the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Who is it that usually provides the standard three month warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

found these guys too who provided warranty on used car. not sure what they cover and dont.
    http://www.irelandassist.com/masistsite/docs/html/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement