Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Sky HD box?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just got my sky HD box installed yesterday, very impressed with the picture, but the sky box (thompson) is very noisy, it actually sound louder than my xbox 360, which is loud. Even when I turn it off the noise stays the same.
    Its that loud that I actually have to turn the tv volume up quite a bit to drown out the noise.
    Any one else had this problem?
    Thinking of ringing sky tomorrow and asking for a replacement, will they do this?

Cheers
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is it fan noise like the 360 or a vibration. My Sky+ box used to be noisy, although never like my 360. When I put pressure down on the front of it the vibration stopped. Turned out to be the rubber legs were not sitting down fully on the front (like it was rear heavy). I raised the rear ones with a few beer mats and it solved it. There is stilla hum but you have to turn the tv volume off to hear the hum.

I have always found Sky very helpful. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rdb666

Yeah its sounds like fan noise. Ive tried lifting it off the ground to see is it just the box vibrating off the stand, but the noise stays the same even when holding it in my hands.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think it should be louder than a noisy Xbox 360. Maybe fan is worn.

Even though it's only brand new out of the box since yesterday?

byte

rdb666 wrote: »
    Even though it's only brand new out of the box since yesterday?
    Well, something's not right, IMO. It shouldn't be that noisy. Fan could be just faulty.

• Advertisement

yeah thats what I was thinking. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.
    Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dublin518317

I work for them, Ring and get a new box and Mate take no **** from them. Your paying alot for that HD box. HD is the way forward. Anyone thats reads this, get HD and pay for a Blueray DVD Player. They cost alot but **** me the Picture and sound is Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Just got my sky HD box installed yesterday, very impressed with the picture, but the sky box (thompson) is very noisy, it actually sound louder than my xbox 360, which is loud. Even when I turn it off the noise stays the same.

The SKY HD box is renowned for its noisy fans and hard drive. I've had one since the launch. But it's nowhere near as noisy as the xbox:eek: When you hit standby, the disk should spin down and, shortly after that the fans should stop and you should hear ... nothing!

The only thing that might cause the box to continue running after you put it into standby is if you have the "Anytime" feature running, which causes the box to record away in the background (and impacts on your own recording at times - great software - not!).

Welcome to SKY HD. The picture's great (mostly), but you'll have to put up with flaky software.

cheers guys. I rang them last night and they are sending out an engineer tomorrow. I'll be at work but my girlfirend will be there, I've told her to ring me straight away if he doesn't fix it or replace it, cause theres no way I could put up with the constant sound of a hairdryer!!!

Ok sky engineer called out today to replace my original sky hd box I got on staurday that seemed to have a couple of hairdryers in it rather than fans.
    Wasnt there myself but girlfriend rang me back and said he replaced it and the sound was gone.
    I get home and find that channels where missing, rang sky and they activated the card...grand!
    but Im just sitting here now watching the HD channels and they are definitely not as crisp and clear as they where on the original box (both are thompsons by the way)
    Oh and when I check in "other channels" I now have BBC HD, which I presumed was only available in UK??

I want my standard box back...was less hassle:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

BBC HD has always been available here.Check the box ix set to output 1080I

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Ah ok...I asked the fella who installed it on saturday and he said BBC hd was only available in UK....a sky employee lying..well I never!!!!
    Yep box is set to 1080i
    Also, when I press the menu, for the RED button I have "sky anytime" whereas on the other box it said" HD channels"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Ok and the tv is set to the HDMI input? Afraid I cannot think of anything else

Ah ok...I asked the fella who installed it on saturday and he said BBC hd was only available in UK....a sky employee lying..well I never!!!!
    Yep box is set to 1080i
    Also, when I press the menu, for the RED button I have "sky anytime" whereas on the other box it said" HD channels"

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

What you describe is the original Sky HD software which had the "HD Channels" option via the red button.
    This option has been No. 2 on the main EPG menu for a good few months now.

One possibilty is that the original box was not given a 'forced upgrade' when installed, and it's possible that the box couldn't receive updates because of this. The forced upgrade is very important for HD boxes, to the point of having a big yellow sticker on top reminding installers of the fact.

Another possibilty - did you by chance switch the old box off at the mains?
    If you switch off your box at the mains, you will most likely miss any software updates, and it's not a good idea in any case, and could exacerbate the fan problem.

Third - Thomson boxes are c**p - I know I've got one ! :D

byte

Threads merged.

Yeah pat i think your right about the upgrade, cause I found a yellow upgrade sticker in the bin here.
    whats the latest update version by the way?

thanks for clearing up the EPG query.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

latest is

OSV 1.32AOE
    EPG Software Version 5.10jHD

Cheers Digidec, yep thats what I have.
    Ok Im gonna stop moaning on this thread and actually watch some TV.

Thanks for all your help and quick responses guys! much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Our pleasure ! :D

Advertisement