Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl wine???

Options
  • 05-12-2007 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just a quick question. Has anyone any recommendations or comments on the Christmas rang of wine Lidl are selling. They are marketed to be better than their usual crap and recommended by some wine master. Any comments. Sipping on a nice Montepulcino at the moment but I would gratefully accept any comments on the other wine esp. the Grand Cru. Seems good value at €14.99

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I wouldn't be too quick to get wine from lidl, my folks like their wine and got a few bottles from them, and they were all corked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got a really nice Barbera there during the week from the luxury range. I think it was about 7 euro. I'm definitely going to buy some more from that range. I like some of their regular wines too... and hate a lot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jay P wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too quick to get wine from lidl, my folks like their wine and got a few bottles from them, and they were all corked.
    I've been buying wine from Lidl on and off for ages now, and have never had a bad one from them yet, and seeing as a lot of them are screw topped bottles, they can't be corked anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The montepulciano is lovely from Lidl. They also have a Cab Sauv/Pinotage and it's pretty good as well. I mean, for €4.99 how could you go wrong.

I haven't tried the dearer stuff in Lidl so I can't tell you what it tastes like but from others I have heard only good words about Lidl and Aldi wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭pjq

I'm a great fan of Aldi and Lidl products but have never found any joy in their usual or more expensive wines , with the exception of Aldi's sweet Eiswein 50cl bottle and the Späteausleise blue bottle.
    pjq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Lidl wine is nice alright. I love the red selection. Buy 6 bottles and you get one free.

Also would like to point out that they are screw top caps therefore could not be corked as previously posted.

Highly recommend Lidl wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

One of my colleagues went to a wine appreciation course last year and the lecturer recommended that they buy and keep a number of the Grand Cru 2004 French reds that Lidl were selling at the time as they were fantastic value for the price - around €12.99. I think a lot of the fuss over Aldi and Lidl wine is like their food products down to snobbery.

Was reading a review of mince pies in the Suday Tribune last night and not for the first time Aldi's equivalent of the "Finest", "Simply Better" rang from the main multiples etc came out tops - 5 stars for only €2.49. I read somewhere a while ago in the English papers that Aldi were on a marketing campaign to attract the "four wheel drive" crowd into their shops by upmarketing their range - dont know about that but my other half reckons that Aldi's grub is cheaper than Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I hope this into too off topic, but Dunnes does a special on a lovely wine called palo alto its a reserve as well and you can get if for about €7 a bottle, very smooth.

This maybe of interest to you if you are looking for a cheap nice wine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Quality wrote: »
    I hope this into too off topic, but Dunnes does a special on a lovely wine called palo alto its a reserve as well and you can get if for about €7 a bottle, very smooth.

It's €7.99 until the 31st December then it reverts back to it's original price of €15.99

I'm drinking it as i type :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lidl's Australian Shiraz at 6.50 a bottle is as good as anything twice the price I've tried. I buy a crate twice a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

You can get a corked bottle of wine from anywhere, it's just the luck of the draw, nothing to do with where you buy it. I've had a few corked bottles from Lidl over the years and they've always exchanged them, no hassle and no questions asked. (Not all Lidl wines are screw cap... plenty have corks.)

I like their Spanish wines - try the Tarragona Gran Reserva for 7.99.

Ballyman wrote: »
    It's €7.99 until the 31st December then it reverts back to it's original price of €15.99

I'm drinking it as i type :)

Isnt it only gorgeous...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

The Cimarosa Chile 2006 is my favourite. Great value. Tastes beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Waldenhoff German Sparkling Riesling i can recommend....its dry but quite pleasant on the palate, lots of apricots.

Also the Vino Nobile de Multipulciano from Italy is quite good, and its down to 10.99 this week in Lidl. Had it with the Turkey on Christmas day and it went down well, didn't make the turkey taste too dry which was the most important thing. Lots of cherries and raspberries in there.

OOhh i love a nice grenache as well, thanks for reminding me grenache^

O'Briens do a lovely grenache called bethany it is €12.99,, very similar to chateaunau de pape (spelling may be wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Quality wrote: »

My parents get the red. I gotta admit, it's one of the silkiest reds I've tasted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spunkytrunks

this guy is reviewing Lidl wines

http://willieswineblog.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ЯR

Personally, I like Liebfraumilch. It is mild, silky and doesn't have that acid taste (like in many South American wines). All that only for 4 euros last time I saw it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leinstergal

Hi,

trying to find out the name of a sauvignon blanc i had last week. thought i had kept the name.....but of course not! pretty sure it's from NZ and i thought it was called Two Trees....anybody heard of it? Pls help

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

There's one from Marlborough called Three Trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Hi,

trying to find out the name of a sauvignon blanc i had last week. thought i had kept the name.....but of course not! pretty sure it's from NZ and i thought it was called Two Trees....anybody heard of it? Pls help

More than likely its Two Tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I went through a stage of getting Lidl wine normally the Tarragonna grand reserve which was lovely. I found most wines nice and easy to drink but started to notice I had a headache from them the next day, I was sharing the bottle with my husband so only having half. I would not normally get a headach after a couple of glasses of wine or even if I had more.
    There was a programme on one of the uk cannels about all the extra crap ingredients added to cheap wine so I wouldnt be of the point of view that all wines are equal. I usually get wine in tesco or super value, there is always a few of the nice wines with a few euro off making them on par with Lidl prices. Tescos own finest wines are lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Daisy M wrote: »
    There was a programme on one of the uk cannels about all the extra crap ingredients added to cheap wine so I wouldnt be of the point of view that all wines are equal. I usually get wine in tesco or super value...

You're absolutely right about cheap wine but there's little or no difference between the quality of any of those wines you mention. In fact I'd say LIDL/Aldi wines would generally be better than that from the UK chains.
    What you feel in the morning isn't the effect of the wine, it's the additional processes and preservatives.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    You're absolutely right about cheap wine but there's little or no difference between the quality of any of those wines you mention. In fact I'd say LIDL/Aldi wines would generally be better than that from the UK chains.
    What you feel in the morning isn't the effect of the wine, it's the additional processes and preservatives.

Is there any way of knowing how much preservatives have been added to wines does it tell you on the label? My wine of choice would normally be wolfblass/eaglehawk or similar, in your opinion are these the same as lidl/aldi wines?

Is there any way of knowing how much preservatives have been added to wines does it tell you on the label? My wine of choice would normally be wolfblass/eaglehawk or similar, in your opinion are these the same as lidl/aldi wines?

No it's not on the label but if it's a mass produced industrial wine then you have to expect industrial standards to apply. In my humble opinion "wolfblass/eaglehawk or similar" are a step up from supermarket wines but they are still industrial. You're buying consistency not (always) quality. In a nutshell... I wouldn't drink them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leinstergal

thanks, will google both your suggestion and two tracks.....whoop whoop :)

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No it's not on the label but if it's a mass produced industrial wine then you have to expect industrial standards to apply. In my humble opinion "wolfblass/eaglehawk or similar" are a step up from supermarket wines but they are still industrial. You're buying consistency not (always) quality. In a nutshell... I wouldn't drink them.

Thanks for the reply, so am I right to say you would drink bottles from smaller vineyards? Would you mind shareing the name of some of the more affordable ones please:)

Would you mind shareing the name of some of the more affordable ones please:)
    Not at all but the rules here bar me from promoting a business (which is fair enough). I sell wines you see.

Sorry... I can say this... you can get good 'small producer' wine from about €8 upwards and by the time you're spending €10 - €11 you're into some serious stuff.

Advertisement