Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

moxin wrote: »
    You might spot the odd one or two in a city wearing one, they are usually British tourists visiting here or British workers who immigrated and have not assimilated yet.

I saw eight people in Dublin today in the space of five mins wearing Poppies, two of whom were Canadians I think? (according to their accents) and the non standard 'stick on' nature of their poppies. The rest looked and sounded Irish to me. Tomorrow & Monday will be the days when most folk 'who follow the tradition' and make a contribution in the ROI wear theirs.
    moxin wrote: »
    The vast majority of the Irish people don't wear one as they don't support the British military, they support the Irish military instead and simply put, they ain't Unionists.

True, that in recent decades the vast majority of Irish people don't wear poppies anymore. Reason being that the further WWI & WWII retreat into the past, the fewer the people/relatives who & carry on the practice of supporting the Irish Poppy appeal fund . . .

PS; Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday, and my own South Dublin Church will be filled with Poppy wearing folk, as it always has been since the Poppy was first introduced after WWI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Happyman42 wrote: »
    you are aware that the EDL are now selling the poppy? That part of the problems with the growth in the display of poppy and poppy fascism are related to it's use by people like this? I say part, because you also have the problem that it is being hijacked to garner support for what Britain's army is doing today

Big ****ing deal, the EDL are a small bunch of bigoted Neanderthals that resort to the last resort of the scoundrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therandomguy

I think they are to remember all the war dead. Not just the British ones. I would wear one if I could get one. Every tv presenter wears them. It must be in their contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

BBC One now, 9:15 - 10:50pm

Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Big ****ing deal, the EDL are a small bunch of bigoted Neanderthals that resort to the last resort of the scoundrel.

Nothing is a deal in Britain's green and pleasant land. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Hubert de la Poer

Remembrance Day is held in many countries not just Britain.
    South Africa - who fought against Britain and then with Britain and is now a republic.
    India - who fought against Britain and then with Britain and is now a republic.
    ... and plenty others.

In those countries they remember THEIR dead who fought under British command in WWI/II and THEIR current armed forces NOT what current British armed forces did/doing in NI, Afghanistan etc etc

Why can't the same happen here?

Of course, if you are of the belief that those Irishmen who fought were wrong to do so, then you wouldn't commemorate them.

Using Remembrance Day and the Poppy Appeal as another excuse to attack the British is poor in my opinion.

Yes I get it - if you are a republican either you the wounds are still there or it hasn't been long enough to heal. The British army to you is the enemy. That is understandable - it's the same for the other side.

This mudslinging of who is the worst blah blah blah is childish in the extreme.
    Every side honours it's dead - and I believe they always will.

One thing is annoying me more than most thought, and that is the moaning by those people that go on about the Poppy Appeal being rammed down your throats I think are being ridiculous - how can you complain about another countries culture being promoted on its own tv stations whilst you are watching that countries tv channels but not in that country is beyond me!

Using Remembrance Day and the Poppy Appeal as another excuse to attack the British is poor in my opinion.

This is just silly.
    I have no interest in attacking the British, if they want to wear a poppy...wear away. I am interested in why they wear the poppy and the current and growing voices against wearing the poppy because of what it has come to stand for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Look lads, it's a brand new contributor.
    This mudslinging of who is the worst blah blah blah is childish in the extreme.

That's not even a question. The British Armed forces underpinned murderous imperialism the world over - Irish Republicans, who fought them, look like a bunch of peace loving hippies in comparison.
    how can you complain about another countries culture

War culture? Fuck that shit. I guess that's where Loyalists actually have something in common with the British establishment in that their 'culture' celebrates war. Some fcking culture that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So any complaints about footballers not having a poppy on their tops today???

One thing is annoying me more than most thought, and that is the moaning by those people that go on about the Poppy Appeal being rammed down your throats I think are being ridiculous - how can you complain about another countries culture being promoted on its own tv stations whilst you are watching that countries tv channels but not in that country is beyond me!

And another thing to scotch this bolloxology ^^^^ the BBC broadcast into my sitting room, I pay for it (if they aren't making money from it, that's their problem) and it's legal, and I will comment on what they do and broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

LordSutch wrote: »
    BBC One now, 9:15 - 10:50pm

Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

Do you seriously watch that?

If you do what feelings does it inspire in you?

This is just silly.
    I have no interest in attacking the British, if they want to wear a poppy...wear away. I am interested in why they wear the poppy and the current and growing voices against wearing the poppy because of what it has come to stand for.
    Really? You are just interested in why British people wear a Poppy?
    I'm sceptical due to the large number of anti British posts on this tread.

The growing voice against wearing a poppy is probably in proportion to the growing voice for wearing a poppy and remains pretty tiny in the uk from what I've seen and heard.
    The increase in casualties and focus on the armed forces over the last few years due to Iraq2 and Afghan has been massive.
    Any increase in voices for or against the poppy is due to this.

I would not agree with you that the poppy has come to stand for anything new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

So any complaints about footballers not having a poppy on their tops today???

I mentioned the militarisation of football a few days ago.

And another thing to scotch this bolloxology ^^^^ the BBC broadcast into my sitting room, I pay for it (if they aren't making money from it, that's their problem) and it's legal, and I will comment on what they do and broadcast.

Yes but it's a British channel made for a British audience. The fact you can watch it doesn't mean it's meant for the Irish market. It's not

wazky wrote: »

Some where here praising Martin O'Neil and Keane for wearing on seeming to ignore the tv poppy rule

Yes but it's a British channel made for a British audience. The fact you can watch it doesn't mean it's meant for the Irish market. It's not

It's in my sitting room, I'll comment on it on an Irish forum with no fear or favour. Should we ban British posters on here for the same reasons?

Look lads, it's a brand new contributor.

That's not even a question. The British Armed forces underpinned murderous imperialism the world over - Irish Republicans, who fought them, look like a bunch of peace loving hippies in comparison.

War culture? Fuck that shit. I guess that's where Loyalists actually have something in common with the British establishment in that their 'culture' celebrates war. Some fcking culture that.

As I said every nation remembers their dead - even you guys do.
    You don't have to like it but retorts such as yours are pretty pathetic.

It's in my sitting room, I'll comment on it on an Irish forum with no fear or favour. Should we ban British posters on here for the same reasons?

Of course you're free to comment on what you want - doesn't make what you say right though!

As I said every nation remembers their dead - even you guys do.
    You don't have to like it but retorts such as yours are pretty pathetic.

Pathetic like re-reg's Keith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

retorts such as yours are pretty pathetic.

The truth is hard to hear is it? How exactly is it pathetic? Show me how it's pathetic. What is pathetic is banging drums every summer to celebrate a 300 years old war so you can shove it down the throats of your neighbours who don't give a shit about it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

A part of Ireland is under British rule- this is what makes it a bit of an Irish issue, also lets remember that not all British people are into the red poppy- you also have the whole white poppy thing which goes back years and is not something you can blame on Irish nationalism.

Pathetic like re-reg's Keith?

Sorry don't understand?

Banned.

Sorry don't understand?

If you would just pick names unrelated to your upper class British military heroes you might get to last more than a few posts.

A part of Ireland is under British rule- this is what makes it a bit of an Irish issue, also lets remember that not all British people are into the red poppy- you also have the whole white poppy thing which goes back years and is not something you can blame on Irish nationalism.

I said that in my first post:
    Yes I get it - if you are a republican either you the wounds are still there or it hasn't been long enough to heal. The British army to you is the enemy. That is understandable - it's the same for the other side.

I've never said all British people support the red poppy.
    Don't forget the Purple poppy also

If you would just pick names unrelated to your upper class British military heroes you might get to last more than a few posts.

You've confused me with someone else.
    I am not called Keith

You've confused me with someone else.
    I am not called Keith

Yes you where. ;)

Yes you where. ;)

Wow this is great - I thought I'd post my views on a thread that is been interested in for a while.

Instead I get someone insisting I'm someone else, just from reading a couple of my posts.

The forum uses usernames so I can't prove who I am - not going to keep arguing on such a stupid point!

Bye for now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

wazky wrote: »

Wait til you see what the 3rd place club in Glasgow get up to :pac:

bumper234 wrote: »
    So point out someone from Britain doing a Nazi salute and it's shocking. Point out that young Irish men can be idiots too and it's sad. The double standards that the so called Republicans on these forums revert to are laughable at best.

So you can't see the irony of someone wearing a poppy giving a nazi salute ?

Bit like that picture of rangers "fans" giving the nazi salute while having an Israeli flag

• Advertisement

Bye for now

You and LordRothery heading for a pint, old boy? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement