Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efexor - Anxiety Medication

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Unfortunately, it comes as no surprise to me to hear that the doctor had no faith in counselling.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just started this on Friday.

Acted within two hours, constant stress knot in my chest disappeared, no longer felt like crying all the time. Racing thoughts have vanished. No side effects visible until Saturday when I started to get minor panic attacks (which is one thing I have never really had) and a good bit of confusion (minor, I couldnt spell words or think of correct word names) these disappeared after talking to my wife about it.
    Today (sunday) I am very calm, slight headache, a touch nauseous VERY worried that I might get the panic attacks back at work tomorrow.
    Hoping my job will not suffer over this, I have always had a very sharp mind and while I love the calmness that this gives me (panic attacks aside) I am not so sure if it will have a detrimental effect on the intelligence I need for my job.

So far the positives outweigh the negatives, I am not constantly irritable, I am not picking apart others mistakes (this might save my marriage in the future) and I am not reacting in a mjor way to minor things.
    Most importantly I can tolerate just sitting still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mclaugn

hi all,
    really looking for a little reassurance here! am in a bit of a state - have been on and off antidepresants for the past couple of years suffering from generalised anxiety disorder - first on effexor 75 mg then ended up on seroxat 30 mg then 40mg then most recently after having a lot of breakthrough anxiety on seroxat went back to effexor 75 mg with no improvement very quickly moved up to 75mg plus 37.5 mg. The problem is that they are not working am in a permanent state of anxiety which is hard when you have a family husband and job. permanantly feel that I am turning over the page of my leabing cert Irish. Waking up early with a sense of dread that lasts all day. food makes me gag. only way I can go to sleep is by having a few drinks usually 3 bottles of bud lite - so don't think could be negating the anti depressants. Am going to see a mindfullness councellor but the attacks are more prolonged and frequent than ever - roughly lasting about 6 days and having them at least every other week.
    Whats going on - is it possible that the antidepressants can just stop working. really just want some reasonable quality of life - have taken 250mg of xanax when panic really bad but to no effect. No a pill can't cure it all but seriously is there anybody out there who can explain whats up with the antideppresants. have an appointment with docotr at 3 tomorrow - which feels a long way away so ini the meantime any words of encouragment gratefully recieved! - Am I on the working drugs.
    thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as you know, we cant give medical advice here.

best discuss it with your doctor, you may need an increase in teh efexor

good luck, hope all turns out well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your dosage is not particularly high, imo. Speak to your doctor though.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In my experience, going on and off antidepressants is a surefire way to stop them from working properly. Most medications of that nature take a while to kick in to full effect - often 6 months or more. Likewise, 112.5 of Effexor is pretty low. Alcohol doesn't help either. Exercise.

And, it goes without saying, speak to your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

Hi,
    I am sitting here with a months supply of Efexor XL 75mg prolonged released capsules. I have been researching them on the internet and I am absolute terrified of them. My life has been dominated by depression and fear. I am terrified I am going to have brain zaps and infertility and what not for the rest of my life.
    I dont know who to trust or where to ask. I just want to live a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi,
    I am sitting here with a months supply of Efexor XL 75mg prolonged released capsules. I have been researching them on the internet and I am absolute terrified of them. My life has been dominated by depression and fear. I am terrified I am going to have brain zaps and infertility and what not for the rest of my life.
    Afaik, the 'brain zaps' you mention are associated with too-rapid withdrawal rather than normal usage.

I don't recall reading any mention of infertility as a side-effect! Are you sure you got that right?

Your pharmacist (or any pharmacist) would be a good source of educated advice on your prescribed medication, or you could phone your doctor to discuss your concerns. It is possible that your doctor might prescribe a different drug for you, but if not, do not decide not to take the Effexor without being fully informed. You will probably find negative anecdotes about each and every AD on the Internet!

If you do decide to follow your doctor's advice, stick with it, and don't stop taking your medication without medical advice. Most ADs can, in some cases, take up to six or eight weeks to have a therapeutic effect.

Hope this helps.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Hi,

one of the worst things you can do, imo

if you research cold/flu like symptoms on the net,you will find a site somewhere that tells you you have AIDS

the net is full of scare-mongering stories, often unverified and unreliable

discuss any concerns you have with a doctor

Advertisement