Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Gonna go for it..
    Really haven't investigated the market, but happy to pay a bit extra for Amazon peace of mind..

There is just too many of these boxes on the market to be able to pick one without knowing someone that has one or is very well informed .

I was looking at the Nexbox A95X , anyone have any experience with them ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JI82VME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OHNBIDAPEK3R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

jonski wrote: »
    There is just too many of these boxes on the market to be able to pick one without knowing someone that has one or is very well informed .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JI82VME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OHNBIDAPEK3R

Very similar specs to the one I got and cheaper too!
    Your head would be melted with the choice all right - I'll report back on mine after a few days use

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭styron

Two pages back - thanks to Doge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

Yeah I was very impressed with the lag free operation but since it wasnt mine i couldnt do any extensive testing.

Its very small and light so may not be that robust, the plastic is slightly transparent so you can see the leds light through, but as long as you dont have kids throwing it around its no problem.

The remote control has a very nice feel to it, soft rubber and has a very pleasing tactile action to it on the arrow and select buttons.

Its lacking play pause and stop controls though, but you can bring them up in Kodi by hitting the select button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

The 90 euro gougers on adverts have the gearbest eu warehouse cleared out, so going to just order from China. How much does customs generally value these at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Doge wrote: »
    Yeah I was very impressed with the lag free operation but since it wasnt mine i couldnt do any extensive testing.

Its very small and light so may not be that robust, the plastic is slightly transparent so you can see the leds light through, but as long as you dont have kids throwing it around its no problem.

The remote control has a very nice feel to it, soft rubber and has a very pleasing tactile action to it on the arrow and select buttons.

Its lacking play pause and stop controls though, but you can bring them up in Kodi by hitting the select button.

Doge I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this box for the games room.

Just wondering how it would compare to the Amazon Fire TV if you have any idea? Have the AFT in the sitting room so would like to try something different if it can provide the same performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Doge wrote: »

Did you have to pay for customs?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Do have the Beelink minimxiii running for a while now and i like it.
    My original idea, getting the bet365 streams on tv via that box i havnt even tried yet.
    Box runs smooth, havent had any crashes, whatever i was doing with it.

I received my banggood/Doge one earlier this week, hassle free from China but at €28 at the time i guess it wasnt worth the custom's time..

Havent hooked it up yet. Will do so this weekend and see how that runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    The 90 euro gougers on adverts have the gearbest eu warehouse cleared out, so going to just order from China. How much does customs generally value these at?

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_414758.html?wid=3

from the EU warehouse for €48

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Doge I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this box for the games room.

Just wondering how it would compare to the Amazon Fire TV if you have any idea? Have the AFT in the sitting room so would like to try something different if it can provide the same performance.

Got one for my Dad really impressed with it works a lot better then the fire tv stick and box remote isn't great and would recommend picking up a air mouse or one of those keyboards with a track pad didn't really test the wifi as I used it wired Also as it's running android 6 you can in a Micro sd card to increase the base memory. One other difference between this and the Amazon boxes is that the Netflix app won't play in full HD I think max is 720p but it might only be SD something to do with licensing fees. all in all a well built box that runs nice and fast highly recommended
    Ps that's for the S912 2Gb version be careful there is an A95X with an S905 1gb memory which is cheaper and works fine for movie Addons but is a bit more laggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

neacy69 wrote: »

Ordered! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got one for my Dad really impressed with it works a lot better then the fire tv stick and box remote isn't great and would recommend picking up a air mouse or one of those keyboards with a track pad didn't really test the wifi as I used it wired Also as it's running android 6 you can in a Micro sd card to increase the base memory. One other difference between this and the Amazon boxes is that the Netflix app won't play in full HD I think max is 720p but it might only be SD something to do with licensing fees. all in all a well built box that runs nice and fast highly recommended
    Ps that's for the S912 2Gb version be careful there is an A95X with an S905 1gb memory which is cheaper and works fine for movie Addons but is a bit more laggy

Ah I'm not to worried about Netflix because I've a Xbox One S in the room where this will go and can get 4K Netflix on that :)

Sounds good though. Think I'll order from Amazon for the £42 seen as I've a few other bits to get as well.

What are the latest recommendations for an air mouse for use with these boxes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I got a RII mini i7 for about €10 a few months ago, its pretty good as an airmouse,but it doesn't have a keyboard. For a keyboard I use a Minix A2, I ended up getting two of these by mistake a year ago, and that does fine for when I need it.

I got a RII mini i7 for about €10 a few months ago, its pretty good as an airmouse,but it doesn't have a keyboard. For a keyboard I use a Minix A2, I ended up getting two of these by mistake a year ago, and that does fine for when I need it.

I just noticed there , that at the very bottom of my 'saved for later' list on Amazon was a Mele F10 Lite . Are they still on the recommended list does anyone know ..... I'd have thought I saved it for a reason but hten it is me , so probably not . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I just noticed there , that at the very bottom of my 'saved for later' list on Amazon was a Mele F10 Lite . Are they still on the recommended list does anyone know ..... I'd have thought I saved it for a reason but hten it is me , so probably not . :)

I use these and find them very good, some people don't like them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Most reports of them that I've seen are pretty good? I've not used one but they seem similar to the Minix A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I bought the Minix Neo A2 Lite and find it fantastic so much so I bought a second one and I've a 3rd on the way as a Christmas present for my dad!

I got one of these delivered from Amazon yesterday . I haven't had much time to play with it yet other than setting it up and a quick look but it seem fine . One thing that I wasn't overly gone on was the Home Screen , is there a way to change that does anyone know, Could I just download a new launcher or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I got one of these delivered from Amazon yesterday . I haven't had much time to play with it yet other than setting it up and a quick look but it seem fine . One thing that I wasn't overly gone on was the Home Screen , is there a way to change that does anyone know, Could I just download a new launcher or something ?

sorry i cant help you but how much in euros did that box work out at in total including delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Of course, just download a new launcher, the Nova Launcher is great. I've ordered a couple of these boxes from China, but only the 1GB/8GB versions which worked out at just under 26 Euro so should be VAT free. I've never had a problem running boxes on just 1GB RAM before so decided to settle for these.

neacy69 wrote: »

Just ordered this as well.

I also got setting mine up yesterday, my first android box, and found the launcher to be crap - I downloaded one which seems to be custom for android TV, but think I'll switch to Nova tonight..

For those used to these, this is probably all old hat, but I thought I'd add a few notes for newbies..

First off, the box is rooted, so the first thing I did was install F-Droid apk, and then AdAway..
    Also installed ES file explorer, and will be getting rid of all the bloat and crap ware once I get time..

I had an issue with the Play Store on mine, which seems to be a known issue on the one I bought (linked previously in the thread), but downloading the latest apk has sorted that..

Lastly, kodi came installed with a horrid custom skin, which I deleted, and loads of add ons, the majority of which I'll be deleting..

Set up my Trakd account and RealDebrid, which I've been trying recently.. For a couple of quid a month, it seems worth it, as it seems always to find good quality sources, in some cases even finding sources where I chould previously find none at all for older / non-mainstream stuff..

So far, the box has performed great with several tabs and apps running at once, and WiFi working well in a room away from my router..

^ separately from the tldr above, can I ask the veterans here, do you use any anti virus / malware on your devices?

I won't be doing any banking or anything on the box, but obviously am logged into my Google account etc..

I was just a bit concerned, given the fact that the box arrives from China with loads of pre installed apps, many of which I don't recognise, including 'remote support' type apps, which will be deleted soon..

Just wanted to check what best practice is with these boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's an actual shop in Wexford now selling these,posters in the window listing all the EPL games live etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote: »
    There's an actual shop in Wexford now selling these,posters in the window listing all the EPL games live etc.

fair play to them, chap in waterford doing it for a long time. they ll probably get away with it for a while until the threatening letters start coming and possibly the gardai. easier ways to make a living:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sorry i cant help you but how much in euros did that box work out at in total including delivery?

£42.99 + PW €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭styron

Gearbest shipping the Beelink GT1 2GB/16GB from Hungary €57 all in, or the 2GB/ 32GB version from China for €55 (+ handling & VAT if caught) if you feel adventurous. Reviews: Amazon, XDA & CNX

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ separately from the tldr above, can I ask the veterans here, do you use any anti virus / malware on your devices?

I won't be doing any banking or anything on the box, but obviously am logged into my Google account etc..

I was just a bit concerned, given the fact that the box arrives from China with loads of pre installed apps, many of which I don't recognise, including 'remote support' type apps, which will be deleted soon..

Just wanted to check what best practice is with these boxes?

just set a new google account for the box only wont get ant crossover then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah. Just go on the play store and search launcher.

I'm using ugooo launcher. It's nice. I tried a few others but their names escape me.

Advertisement