Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    The merge-in-turn (zipper) rule has been adopted in the Highway Code. I'd say it's only a matter of time before it's adopted to the Rules of the Road so I'd advise the drivers of the left lane to start accepting the concept.

Road works
    Rule 288

where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069864

Multi-lane carriageways (133-143)Lane discipline
    Rule 134
    You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070308
    so, you admit its not in our laws, and our laws state that overtaking where there is no space to pull back in is illegal? Therefore, passing the queue to the top is illegal, as its an overtaking lane? therefore, you should join the queue like everyone else if you want to comply to the law?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

How About We place cones where the ...... are, that way any one who tries to barge in right at the cones will be blocked in :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

zuroph wrote: »
    so, you admit its not in our laws, and our laws state that overtaking where there is no space to pull back in is illegal? Therefore, passing the queue to the top is illegal, as its an overtaking lane? therefore, you should join the queue like everyone else if you want to comply to the law?????

all i'll admit is that merging where a lane ends at road works is not covered by the irish rules of the road.

However,
    where does it state in irish law that it's illegal to overtake where there is no space to pull back in?

where does it state in irish law that it is illegal to pass a queue in an overtaking lane?

where does it state in irish law that it's illegal not to join the queue?

all i'll admit is that merging where a lane ends at road works is not covered by the irish rules of the road.

However,
    where does it state in irish law that it's illegal to overtake where there is no space to pull back in?
    its under the rules for overtaking, its quoted a few pages back. The rest can be derived from this rule and the fact that the lane is an overtaking lane.

its under the rules for overtaking, its quoted a few pages back. The rest can be derived from this rule and the fact that the lane is an overtaking lane.

I presume you mean the rules of the road, where there is one rule regarding overtaking and it is mentioned in regard to single carriageways. You are assuming that this one rule has at least 2 other rules derived from it in this situation. You are factuallly incorrect. You cannot invent rules and laws as you please.

If you're using the rules of the road as your argument for joining the queue how does the "2 second rule" and leaving space in front of your car for overtaking cars that may need to pull in, apply to the queue in this situation? These are both mentioned in the rules of the road. I'm guessing you'll just brush this aside and ignore it.

This situation is at best a grey area in irish law. I cannot find a section in the rules of the road that even mentions merging or roadworks. The simple fact is, at a point a lane ends. Anyone in that lane is entitled to join the other lane to continue their journey. Some people think it is rude and ignorant to continue in the overtaking lane for as long as possible, they're entitled to their opinion, just as i am entitled to my opinion that people who join the queue as early as they can are silly, but it does not change the fact, it is not illegal in any way to use the overtaking lane in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

The simple answer here would be to close the left lane first, have everyone merge the right lane then swing back to the left lane and the contraflow.

phog wrote: »
    The simple answer here would be to close the left lane first, have everyone merge the right lane then swing back to the left lane and the contraflow.

That's actually a really simple answer to the problem. Fair play to you.

I presume you mean the rules of the road, where there is one rule regarding overtaking and it is mentioned in regard to single carriageways. You are assuming that this one rule has at least 2 other rules derived from it in this situation. You are factuallly incorrect. You cannot invent rules and laws as you please.

If you're using the rules of the road as your argument for joining the queue how does the "2 second rule" and leaving space in front of your car for overtaking cars that may need to pull in, apply to the queue in this situation? These are both mentioned in the rules of the road. I'm guessing you'll just brush this aside and ignore it.

This situation is at best a grey area in irish law. I cannot find a section in the rules of the road that even mentions merging or roadworks. The simple fact is, at a point a lane ends. Anyone in that lane is entitled to join the other lane to continue their journey. Some people think it is rude and ignorant to continue in the overtaking lane for as long as possible, they're entitled to their opinion, just as i am entitled to my opinion that people who join the queue as early as they can are silly, but it does not change the fact, it is not illegal in any way to use the overtaking lane in this situation.
    where does it say that the overtaking rules apply to single carriageways? its an overtaking lane outside a single driving lane, the same rules apply.
    2 second rule is being adhered to with the traffic at a standstill. the third rule, im not awatre of, as AFAIK the onus is on the overtaker to ensure the space is there..

where does it say that the overtaking rules apply to single carriageways? its an overtaking lane outside a single driving lane, the same rules apply.
    2 second rule is being adhered to with the traffic at a standstill. the third rule, im not awatre of, as AFAIK the onus is on the overtaker to ensure the space is there..

Read the rules of the road! there's nothing i hate more than people who post "AFAIK" or "IIRC"! you're on the internet! the answer is at your finger tips, stop being lazy and look for yourself rather then posting this rubbish!

you're a moderator ffs should you not be better at this?!!!

btw you're wrong!

Read the rules of the road! there's nothing i hate more than people who post "AFAIK" or "IIRC"! you're on the internet! the answer is at your finger tips, stop being lazy and look for yourself rather then posting this rubbish!

you're a moderator ffs should you not be better at this?!!!

btw you're wrong!
    Im a moderator on the magic forum, thats got nothing to do with driving.

• Advertisement

From http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie
    "Before you start to overtake, remember 'mirror, signal, mirror, manoeuvre', and look in yur blind spots. Check that the way is clear (behind and ahead) and signal well in advance."
    "What to do when somebody overtakes you

* Continue at the same pace.
    * Keep as near to the left as is safe to do so.
    * Do not accelerate.
    * Be alert in case the overtaking vehicle suddenly pulls back in front of you."
    "How to overtake safely

* Make sure the road ahead is clear so you have enough distance to allow you to overtake and get back to your own side of the road without forcing any other road user to move to avoid you."

thanks for the tip, that rules of the road website is really handy...
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I was in the inside lane yesterday from about 400m before the merge, after the 200m marker a CIE bus followed closely by a Garda van (Fiat panel van) drove right up to where the cones merge and just joined the traffic without signaling, the Garda van was on the bus's bumper and did not let a car on the inside go ahead first, so no zipper effect there.

When I was along the cones as they were starting to merge a traffic corp. Garda car passed me and merged in front with no signal, I had to brake to allow them in.

So it seems this is the way to do it, example set by the traffic police. People wasting their life sitting on the inside lane should let traffic from the right merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

Like everyone else I obediently wait in the queue in the inside lane and swear at the w**kers who ignore the queue and saunter up the front. This morning I watched 20 plus cars pass by me until I noticed a large lorry in my rearview mirror pull out from the inside lane and plonk himself in the road to stop anyone further doing it. I first thought he too was going to ignore the queue and speed past me but no, he stopped and only moved as the original queue had moved - whoever you are - fair play! And to those who were stuck behind him - nah nah na nah nah!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats just stupid!! he be rightly screwed if an ambulance needed to pass!

Dumbass

im sure he could pull back in then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

JoJo_27 wrote: »
    Like everyone else I obediently wait in the queue in the inside lane and swear at the w**kers who ignore the queue and saunter up the front. This morning I watched 20 plus cars pass by me until I noticed a large lorry in my rearview mirror pull out from the inside lane and plonk himself in the road to stop anyone further doing it. I first thought he too was going to ignore the queue and speed past me but no, he stopped and only moved as the original queue had moved - whoever you are - fair play! And to those who were stuck behind him - nah nah na nah nah!

A Friend of mine had to drive his wife to the Limerick Maternity Hospital the other night. Luckly it was 10.30pm on a saturaday and the road was quite. If it was this morning and that truck had blocked him on the right lane it could have jeperdised two peoples lives.

People need to get a life, stop complaining/Blocking the lane and learn to Merge.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

what determines whether its a second lane as said here for the Dock Road case or an overtaking lane as in the Shannon road????

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Thats just stupid!! he be rightly screwed if an ambulance needed to pass!

Dumbass

I'm sure that truck could have merged very quickly if an ambulance was coming up behind him, but then you have the problem of the idiots behind him, who didn't bother to merge in time.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    I'm sure that truck could have merged very quickly if an ambulance was coming up behind him, but then you have the problem of the idiots behind him, who didn't bother to merge in time.

But still he would have to pull back in - hence pulling into the overtaking lane as utter stupid in the first place. Thats what its there for, overtaking all the dopes who choose to wait in line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Twin-go wrote: »
    A Friend of mine had to drive his wife to the Limerick Maternity Hospital the other night. Luckly it was 10.30pm on a saturaday and the road was quite. If it was this morning and that truck had blocked him on the right lane it could have jeperdised two peoples lives.

People need to get a life, stop complaining/Blocking the lane and learn to Merge.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    in fairness you cant use that as an example, thats an exceptional situation that probably should have involved an ambulance anyway. Also overtaking the que there isnt something that should be taken for granted, especially in emergencies.
    What if it was just a regular single lane road with heavy traffic, are you going to blame traffic there for jeopardizing lives?

• Advertisement

wylo wrote: »
    in fairness you cant use that as an example, thats an exceptional situation that probably should have involved an ambulance anyway. Also overtaking the que there isnt something that should be taken for granted, especially in emergencies.
    What if it was just a regular single lane road with heavy traffic, are you going to blame traffic there for jeopardizing lives?

But it isnt a single lane road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

Twin-go wrote: »

Believe me - learning to merge is not the issue, I can merge as well as the next person. The issue to me is basic courtesy and manners but then again I'm maybe a little naive!

Why wait when you can overtake all the cars waiting JoJo, i dont think basic courtesy or manners come into it.

If you are in a line at a shop and there was a line that meant you get to the top of the queue would you stay in the line you are in or join the new one?

At the end of the day all it comes down to is courtesy and manners.Anyone with an ounce of courtesy will queue in the left lane.Of course they can legally take the right lane if they want to but the fact is most people aren't ignorant [insert expletive here] Also fair play to anyone that blocks the right lane,hopefully it will catch on.

Oh and as for the shopping queue question,personally I would tell the few people in front of me that a new till is open and let them go first.They've queued for longer than me so it's right that they get to be served first.

Thank god we are all not like you - it pays to go in the over taking lane. And god help you if you ever move to somewhere like Dublin, ever been on the M50??

Thank god we are all not like you
    Heh!
    - it pays to go in the over taking lane. And god help you if you ever move to somewhere like Dublin, ever been on the M50??
    It pays for you,not for the other 50+ drivers sitting there that have the manners not to pass out people who have been waiting longer.And on the M50 the fact is both lanes are going to be even due to the "every man for himself" attitude up there :rolleyes:

Anyone with an ounce of brains would use the overtaking lane, i just cant fathom why people would prefer to sit and wait in line when you could be home faster by taking the overtaking lane option.

I will apply it to my situation, you finish work at 8am after working a 12hr shift and all you want to do is go to bed.

What do you do?

A: Sit and wait use "courtesy" in the left hand lane and end up at home approx 30+ mins

or

B: Use the overtaking lane, as you are legally able to do, and end up at home faster than all the courteous people in the left hand lane....

I choose B, what will you choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

and what have the manners to do with rules of the road?

the manners tells you to let the elderly in front of you when i.e. going inside a room. while driving do you stick to your manners or rotr?

legally, you cannot pull back in, so using the overtaking lane is illegal.

• Advertisement

legally, you cannot pull back in, so using the overtaking lane is illegal.

Really?? Why leave it open so?

If thats the case shouldnt they close the left hand lane?

Advertisement