Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ade's Sports Tipping Log (No football)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its looking good anyway, up by 16 with 5.37 to go, 23 with the handicap

I go to bed expecting further profit, I'll thank you in advance :)

apologies if I jinx this!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wimbledon 2012 Outright Bets

So a brief history lesson. I'm not big into tennis viewing (loved playing it as a kid). But I adore Wimbledon. Been fortunate to have been there a couple of times too in a few years back. I have loved it since the early noughties. It was great summer viewing. Still very much quite vividly remember Goran Ivanisevic as a wildcard beating Pat Rafter in the final in 2001. Then year also saw passing of the torch really between Sampras and Nadal in the 1/4 finals I think. Two iconic moments.

Anyway I'm waffling on a tad. It's late, so I'll just go into my outright bets which I'm sure could be called predictable but sure, tennis is predictable for the most hence the odds! :)

Women's Bets -

Right, I'll start with the ladies first. As ever, this is the harder one to call but the one where you can find value as a result. I'll be going for two bets here. The first one being the lovely Maria Sharapova @ 11/4 (Bet 365) as my banker bet I guess you call it and Li Na @ 33/1 e/w (Paddypower) as my outsider bet.

Sharapova has all the momentum after winning at Roland Garos. She took apart last year's Wimbledon Champion, Petra Kvitova on route to winning the French Open which as most know is played on a clay surface... Sharpova's weakest surface. Her best being grass :)

As for Li, the 2011 French Open Champion has a really impressive record against my gal, Sharapova. Four victories in the last five, all of which in straight sets. C'mon, that's impressive. Schneeeeaky bet on her for me.

Men's Bet -

Not feeling the best as I type this and again, I stress the time. So no real comment for now, other than to say Novak Djokovic @ 13/8.

20 a piece on the favourite's, and 10 on Li Na are my stakes.

As for match bets, I'll leave tomorrow alone unless something catches the eye. I do usually cherry pick matches over the first week before really getting involved from round 4/QF onwards.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Just got tipped off on some WNBA game. LA Sparks players are fairly hurt, San Antonio something or another could cover the spread at +7. Just passing info. Not getting in on it myself as I know **** all about WNBA.

Jaysus, SA stomped all over LA!

493a3a58ce894fe1c4ee736c64dbcf24.png

Might have to look into WNBA a bit more in future. Never really considered it up till now. Lesson learnt tonight. Do doubt the pros :pac:

Gonna look into the WNBA games a little later on and see what that throws up. One early tip off is at 5.05PM and the other two are on after midnight. More than likely focus on the latter two if anything.

Seattle Storm @ 20/31, medium stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not too sure about the womens bball so I'll sit this one out.

PP had what I can only assume is a brainfart on the odds for the Texas Rangers baseball game earlier, offering 125/1 on over and under 5 runs scored by the Rangers.

Threw a euro on both sides of the fence. Wonder if they'll void it if it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

pithater1 wrote: »
    Not too sure about the womens bball so I'll sit this one out.

PP had what I can only assume is a brainfart on the odds for the Texas Rangers baseball game earlier, offering 125/1 on over and under 5 runs scored by the Rangers.

Threw a euro on both sides of the fence. Wonder if they'll void it if it comes in.

The bets will be settled at the correct price that they should have been and not the mistaken price you took.

I imagine they will void it going by past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

[COLOR="green"]
    [/COLOR]

So a brief history lesson. I'm not big into tennis viewing (loved playing it as a kid). But I adore Wimbledon. Been fortunate to have been there a couple of times too in a few years back. I have loved it since the early noughties. It was great summer viewing. Still very much quite vividly remember Goran Ivanisevic as a wildcard beating Pat Rafter in the final in 2001. Then year also saw passing of the torch really between Sampras and Nadal in the 1/4 finals I think. Two iconic moments.

Anyway I'm waffling on a tad. It's late, so I'll just go into my outright bets which I'm sure could be called predictable but sure, tennis is predictable for the most hence the odds! :)

Women's Bets -

Right, I'll start with the ladies first. As ever, this is the harder one to call but the one where you can find value as a result. I'll be going for two bets here. The first one being the lovely Maria Sharapova @ 11/4 (Bet 365) as my banker bet I guess you call it and Li Na @ 33/1 e/w (Paddypower) as my outsider bet.

Sharapova has all the momentum after winning at Roland Garos. She took apart last year's Wimbledon Champion, Petra Kvitova on route to winning the French Open which as most know is played on a clay surface... Sharpova's weakest surface. Her best being grass :)

As for Li, the 2011 French Open Champion has a really impressive record against my gal, Sharapova. Four victories in the last five, all of which in straight sets. C'mon, that's impressive. Schneeeeaky bet on her for me.

Men's Bet -

Not feeling the best as I type this and again, I stress the time. So no real comment for now, other than to say Novak Djokovic @ 13/8.

As for match bets, I'll leave tomorrow alone unless something catches the eye. I do usually cherry pick matches over the first week before really getting involved from round 4/QF onwards.
    I got on nadal when he was 3-0 down in the first set,to win the first set at 11/10.wonder what odds they were when he was 4-0 down

W

Played it a tad safe, but a win is a win.

• Advertisement

I got on nadal when he was 3-0 down in the first set,to win the first set at 11/10.wonder what odds they were when he was 4-0 down

In play is most certainly the best way to find value alright when it comes to tennis betting alright.

Golf - Irish Open (European Tour)

For the first time the Irish Open will be held north of the border at one of the premier links courses on this island, Royal Portrush GC. Home course for the likes of Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell. Always important to note the forecast, and it's not the most pleasant for the 4 days up there. So for me, I'm looking at players who can handle such conditions on such a course. Easy option would be for the Irish guys this week, but it's never been a tourney for them surprisingly. Shane Lowry's win at Baltray a couple of years ago aside. That was also on a links course btw.

But this week I'm looking at Paul Lawrie and Simon Dyson.

Paul Lawrie @ 22/1 is a former Open Champion. He won at arguably the most difficult Open Championship most certainly in my lifetime back in 99 up at Carnoustie. So you know he can play the links in brutal conditions. Now, I have had money him a couple of weeks ago and tbh, he was a tad disappointing from the little I saw. But the week before at Wentworth was why I went for him the following week in Wales. He was striking the ball pure. His control especially with his irons was magnificent.

Simon Dyson @ 33/1 is my 2nd bet and is the defending champion having won at Killarney last year, which is a very contrasting course compared to Royal Portrush. The reason why I like Dyson this week, odds aside is he is a battler of a golfer and extremely consistent. No missed cuts this season on the European Tour. The only cut he has missed was at the 1st Major of the year, at Augusta in The Masters. In the last 2 years, he has recorded five Top 10 finishes on links courses. Very impressive stat. What adds further weight to that is the fact that in his last 3 competitions he has had two T12 finishes. So it's evidently clear that he is in control of his game and in my eyes is heading for another strong finish.

Finally, my hometown picks for this week are a bit out of left field when compared to the rest of the Irish players there this week. First name is i Michael Hoey @ 50/1. The guy knows the course very well due to his family having owned a home nearby the course when he was younger, and according to a friend of mine played very well in the Pro Am and was striking the ball nicely on the range today.

For my final hometown pick, I'll have a wee bet on local boy Alan Dunbar who lives beside the course. Portrush is listed as his favourite course and last season he won both the Irish Amateur and North of Ireland titles on this course. Only last week did he win the British Amateur at Royal Troon, a top drawer links course in Scotland. I know, I know, an amateur some would say! But sure, Lowry was an amateur when he won the Irish Open. At the odds set for him, he is well worth a punt.

Paul Lawrie @ 22/1 (Bet 365)
    Simon Dyson @ 33/1 e/w (Bet 365)
    Michael Hoey @ 50/1 e/w (Boylesports)
    Alan Dunbar @ 125/1 e/w (Bet 365)

___

As for the golf in the US. Quite like Seung-Yul Noh @ 66/1, perhaps later today/early tomorrow I might put a few quid on him. Still not sure.

Obviously there is no point in backing the likes of serena williams at 1/66 but backing solid favourites to win under 12.5 or 18.5 games for women/ men shows some value.For example she is 1/3 to win under 12.5 games tomorrow.

Women's Bets -

Men's Bet -

Nadal out in the 2nd round, unreal! Not going to say Novak will definitely win, but **** me, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't win this now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

BKC wrote: »
    The bets will be settled at the correct price that they should have been and not the mistaken price you took.
    I imagine they will void it going by past experience.

Somehow they let it stand. Woke up yesterday morning and bet the lot on Sharapova to win her 2nd round match at Wimbledon.

Cash safely withdrawn at this stage.

Still waiting for the catch to kick in though...

pithater1 wrote: »
    BKC wrote: »
    The bets will be
    Somehow they let it stand. Woke up yesterday morning and bet the lot on Sharapova to win her 2nd round match at Wimbledon.

Cash safely withdrawn at this stage.

Still waiting for the catch to kick in t at hough...

Be careful throwing the lot on.I put mine on nadal to win the 1st set when he was 1-0 down at odds of 1/9. He made me sweat for it haha

Nadal out in the 2nd round, unreal! Not going to say Novak will definitely win, but **** me, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't win this now lol.[/Quote]
    He went 1/300 (to win the match) at one stage in the 1st set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Women's Bets -

Men's Bet -

I followed you on both but just in a double so hopefully they do the biz for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

Ade - any UFC predictions? Just had a time to talk in the office with my friend who is announcing MMA shows on Eurosport and looking at major fights odds he told me backing Ortiz is the best bet here. In his opinion he is the only underdog who have a legit chance to win, he'll fight against Forrest Griffin.

stingerro wrote: »
    Ade - any UFC predictions? Just had a time to talk in the office with my friend who is announcing MMA shows on Eurosport and looking at major fights odds he told me backing Ortiz is the best bet here. In his opinion he is the only underdog who have a legit chance to win, he'll fight against Forrest Griffin.

I'm taking little break from betting (just wanted some fresh air so to speak :)) and thus haven't researched anything in the past two days. Clear head , and I might have a look tomorrow though, if not Wednesday at the very latest re: UFC 148 bets.

• Advertisement

Golf - Irish Open (European Tour)

For the first time the Irish Open will be held north of the border at one of the premier links courses on this island, Royal Portrush GC. Home course for the likes of Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell. Always important to note the forecast, and it's not the most pleasant for the 4 days up there. So for me, I'm looking at players who can handle such conditions on such a course. Easy option would be for the Irish guys this week, but it's never been a tourney for them surprisingly. Shane Lowry's win at Baltray a couple of years ago aside. That was also on a links course btw.

But this week I'm looking at Paul Lawrie and Simon Dyson.

Paul Lawrie @ 22/1 is a former Open Champion. He won at arguably the most difficult Open Championship most certainly in my lifetime back in 99 up at Carnoustie. So you know he can play the links in brutal conditions. Now, I have had money him a couple of weeks ago and tbh, he was a tad disappointing from the little I saw. But the week before at Wentworth was why I went for him the following week in Wales. He was striking the ball pure. His control especially with his irons was magnificent.

Simon Dyson @ 33/1 is my 2nd bet and is the defending champion having won at Killarney last year, which is a very contrasting course compared to Royal Portrush. The reason why I like Dyson this week, odds aside is he is a battler of a golfer and extremely consistent. No missed cuts this season on the European Tour. The only cut he has missed was at the 1st Major of the year, at Augusta in The Masters. In the last 2 years, he has recorded five Top 10 finishes on links courses. Very impressive stat. What adds further weight to that is the fact that in his last 3 competitions he has had two T12 finishes. So it's evidently clear that he is in control of his game and in my eyes is heading for another strong finish.

Finally, my hometown picks for this week are a bit out of left field when compared to the rest of the Irish players there this week. First name is i Michael Hoey @ 50/1. The guy knows the course very well due to his family having owned a home nearby the course when he was younger, and according to a friend of mine played very well in the Pro Am and was striking the ball nicely on the range today.

For my final hometown pick, I'll have a wee bet on local boy Alan Dunbar who lives beside the course. Portrush is listed as his favourite course and last season he won both the Irish Amateur and North of Ireland titles on this course. Only last week did he win the British Amateur at Royal Troon, a top drawer links course in Scotland. I know, I know, an amateur some would say! But sure, Lowry was an amateur when he won the Irish Open. At the odds set for him, he is well worth a punt.

Paul Lawrie @ 22/1 (Bet 365)
    Simon Dyson @ 33/1 e/w (Bet 365)
    Michael Hoey @ 50/1 e/w (Boylesports)
    Alan Dunbar @ 125/1 e/w (Bet 365)

___

As for the golf in the US. Quite like Seung-Yul Noh @ 66/1, perhaps later today/early tomorrow I might put a few quid on him. Still not sure.

No winners but 3 of the 4 played well in parts. Lawrie, Dyson and Hoey played well on the first day and in the case of Hoey and Dyson, they both finished well. Lawrie didn't do much over the weekend. Still were sound picks looking back in hindsight.

From an entirely betting POV, glad Padraig didn't win as his odds would have been cut 1/4 what they are currently at the very least for the Open Championship. He'll be one of my bets for the that for sure.

Noh had me worried for a bit on Sunday evening. Was well in contention till the last half a dozen holes or so! Second time I've bottled betting on Tiger on the Saturday and Sunday now which is a tad annoying.

_____

As for today, probably research some UFC and possibly some WNBA if there are any matches later on tonight/tomorrow early hours.

A final note, thank **** the Euros are over. 250 profit only was a very disappointing haul in the end considering past tourneys. Group stage in particular was a killer. About time I had a bad tourney betting wise I suppose.

Was occupied all yesterday (and will probably be for most of tomorrow), so I have had no time for a proper write up now.

Golf - Greenbrier Classic (PGA Tour) and French Open (European Tour)
    Have had previous success at the Greenbier, lovely lay out. Gone with the following players, Webb Simpson and Noh.

Webb Simpson @ 16/1
    Noh @ 45/1

In Europe, my first pick I have gone for Kaymer. His collapse on the back 9 on Sunday still irks me as he ended my multi sports accum that year :mad: But he does love this course based on past form. Colsaerts is my other bet for this. Big fan of this course btw, love the finishing stretch of holes in particular.

Kaymer @ 14/1
    Colsaerts @ 33/1

PS: Sharapova :rolleyes:

Williams and Kerber @ 8/5 , medium stake in the Women's Semi Final later on.

@ Stinger, apologises but I won't get a chance to look at the UFC till tomorrow. Been swamped, hence why I haven't been on here nor Twitter much this week.

Well the tennis sucked -_-

Gone for a few small stake bets based on tips from some tramp. I'll just C and P his PM. I'm sure he won't mind
    Leeg17 wrote:
    Hey, my justification below:

Stats (which obviously will be picked with bias for the purpose of my tip):
    1. Silva has the longest win streak in UFC history (14) with the highest number of title defenses (9), a win on Saturday will bring him to 10
    2. 24/31 of his wins have come by stoppage with only 23% coming via the judge's decision, the highest in the UFC.
    3. Sonnen has allowed the 3rd highest amount of serious submission attempts in all of the UFC (18) with all of his losses coming via submission.
    4. Silva has 68.5% land rate on his strikes.
    5. Silva has 80% takedown defense.

Background:
    They last fought at UFC 117 in August 2010. Sonnen was the 4/1 underdog before the start of the fight but absolutely dominated for 23 minutes of the 25 minute fight. He landed more strikes in one fight than all of Silva's previous UFC opponents combined. He had Silva on his back for around 19 minutes, again, more than all his previous UFC matches combined. Silva looked dead on his feet, and Sonnen was all but confirmed as the champion.. and then the seemingly impossible. Silva got Sonnen in a submission, a triangle choke/armbar, and Sonnen tapped (was rumoured to have blacked out too).

The fight:
    Can safely say this is the fight I've been looking forward to the most since I've started watching UFC. Hype has been building for months, much of it from Sonnen's thrash talking not only of Silva, but his family and indeed the Brazilian people. Silva has, up until very recently, brushed it off and remained cool. Sonnen may be thinking/hoping that Silva gets riled up, makes easy mistakes and capitalise on them, but I don't.

Silva will win this, comprehensively in my opinion (obviously there will be others that disagree completely). He knows his weaknesses and more importantly after watching the early December fight against Micheal Bisping, Sonnen's weaknesses. Sonnen will have to shoot (early) for a takedown and hope to grind out a submission/points win, but Silva will have trained his TD defence a fair bit since the last fight and will be expecting Sonnen's gameplan well in advance. Silva is so fluid on his feet it's unbelievable, and a pleasure to watch. I can see Silva landing an early KO, possibly in the second round if it stays standing, or a late submission if it's taken to the ground. I don't see this fight going to a decision, but at 4/11 the odds on a Silva straight win aren't worth it.

My predictions:
    Sonnen will come in fast and early for a takedown, Silva will have good TD defence and keep the fight standing. Smart and calculated striking will soon wear Sonnen down leading to a KO by the third round.

Silva via KO/Sub - Dropped to 1/2 now
    Griffin/Ortiz fight to go the distance - 8/13 - Confident enough on this, wouldn't do anything more than small stakes though because Ortiz could get finished.
    Dyon Hung Kim - Win - 8/11 - Rumours are going about on some forums that Demian Maia was unwell trying to cut weight for the fight and while this may just be a rumour, if true it would definitely affect his performance.

Yay UFC. SMH Tennis. So close in the golf.

Not gonna lie, was pretty confident when I saw Simpson leading after Saturday. Feel I should another winner, oh well. Stilll, the good thing is that I'm knocking on the door most weeks and more often than not based on my own picks (;)) too. Usually the case of contenting or doing very well be it on the opening round or for 3 rounds. So I'm finding some comfort in my picks like last season from June onwards... Kaymer aside because I'm clearly his jinx going by bets in the past :o Another W is around the corner, just have to keep on knocking. Taking a break from betting on other things for the next week, other than the golf. I'll throw up bets maybe later, or Tuesday at the latest.

Golf - John Deere Classic (PGA Tour) and Scottish Open (European Tour)

Just quickly throwing these up as I'm somewhat occupied at present. Admittedly I'm a wee bit annoyed they've been tipped by a few places. But sure what can you do. If you've ever took note of my bets, then these bets/tips are hardly surprising.

Stricker @ 7/1 and Pettersson @ 40/1

In the US I've gone for the defending champion, who won me money last year (look back in the main gambling section thread) and is going for his fourth win at this event now. Clearly loves this course.

Take note of my comment earlier in thread about Pettersson. He's a birdie machine and this course will lead to many, many birdies being made.

Colsaerts @ 20/1

In Scotland, and still on the links with a week before the Open Championship I'm going for the man I backed last week and a couple of times this season, and whom will be one of my bets next week (I'll probably place that bet tomorrow at some point btw)

I'm just throwing these up at now, before another place where everyone copies their bets from does :p I'll have 2 more selections later today, so will edit this post in due course. I have the likes of Zach Johnson, Simon Dyson, Sergio Garcia, Charles Schwartzel and a couple of others in mind.

Golf - The Open Championship

The Open is being played at one of my favourite courses on the rota, that being Royal Lytham and St.Annes. Tiger has described the Royal Lytham rough as “almost unplayable”. Accuracy off the tee is a premium, which is what all but one of my picks will based on. The course is a tad different compared to the last time in hosted the event back in 2001 the already mentioned rough being more severe and some added yardage. It's now the longest course on the Open rota. I honestly do not see this as being a low scoring Open this year, depending on the weather of course, I think around even par could win this week.

Padraig Harrington @ 22/1 (Bet 365) *placed a while ago as I mentioned before be it here or in one of the golf betting threads*

This week will be a week for the more enduring golfers, those that can scramble around the green. Padraig hasn't won this year but he has been pretty damn impressive in the two Majors so far, finishing a credible eighth placed finish at the Masters, fourth in the brutal US Open and was well in contention going into the back 9 of both. Throw in his strong performances in the recent Irish and Scottish Opens, the latter two being on links courses like this week and it's a logical pick for me this week.

Obviously he is a 2 time winner of the Open Championship and has won in brutal conditions in the past, namely the second of those wins at Royal Birkdale.

Sergio Garcia @ 40/1 (Ladbrokes)
    Best value around on the Spaniard. Had to take it at that price. Played well here over a decade ago and has had some very good finishes in the Open in the past including a runner up place to Harrington. An excellent driver of the ball will help massively around here, as will his ball striking and short game. All about his putting as per usual. If that is somewhat working for him, he'll be in contention.

Nicolas Colsaerts @ 80/1 (Boyles)

I'm sticking with the man from Belgium yet again this week. Cracking value on someone who loves links courses and has had a very good season. Big fan of his, and I truly believe he has the game to win not just the one Major.

Simon Dyson @ 100/1 (Ladbrokes)

An ever present in my European Tour betting, and that is because the man himself is damn consistent on the course. If he'll ever win a Major, it will be the Open.

Davis Love III @ 150/1 (Ladbrokes)

Couldn't leave him out, could I now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nice summary of The Open Championship.

I have my money on Padraig too, but I also could not resist an e/w bet on Goosen who is currently at 110/1

If there was extra round, Colsaerts would have won goddammit :pac:
    Shame about his second and third round because his first and fourth round were excellent. E/W money from him at least. Still very confident he'll win a Major or two down the line.

Harrington just never really got going over the weekend namely.

Dyson all week likewise, despite making the cut.

Sergio, less said the better.

Still been damn consistent with having someone for E/W money since the summer began so that's something to hold onto. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement