Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Firstly Eagle Harrisons and Merriweathers hits the WR already had possesion of the football and they came in from distance to make the hit and PI would never been an issue with either of them.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    The way to solve this is to sort out the PI calls. The way things are now you can't touch a receiver before he catches. Like what is a defender supposed to do?

But Wrap him fooking up for a start instead of flying in like a lunatic. Many ways to hit that WR without hitting him with your head.
    Its not a case where they are purposely going in with head shots. In most cases its just mistimed. Apart from one of Meriweathers tackles last weekend none of them were meant to happen the way they did imo.

Whether you mean to hurt someone or not leading with your head is on purpose or bad mechanics. You can't tell me Harrison and Merriweather didn't know what they were doing. And the bit in bold is bullsh1t. Harrisons winge proves that.
    But even at that, relax the PI rules and I can assure you there will be a lot less of this stuff.

They are called skilled positions for a reason and I agree some PI calls are fooking ridiculous but these guys are the best of the best and shouldnt be looking to make super incrdible plays on the WR but going back to basics and using their strengths and not get beat, or use their speed, wrap up or even at least make a play on the ball. I could go on.

The images dont lie as to how Harrison hit just as an example even after the hit simple physics show how he lead with his head.

NY168-1017_2010_141704_low.jpg

23 seconds in shows he clearly lead with his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Merriweather almost knocked Todd Heap out.
    And what was missed initally is Merriweather launched in helmet first at Heap when he scored the TD
    If at first you don't you succeed.....
    He knew exactly what he was doing

As did Harrison and considering a college player was paraylzed the same weekend his comments at best were downright stupid and ill advised.

However the Dunta Robinson hit was legit, said wow initally but no fan wants to see a player hurt badly, well two players in this case

It'll be looked at.
    A 50,000 dollar fine means nothing to a multi millionaire. And any player can mistime a tackle badly so I accept it can happen
    But realy for a repeat offender it'll have to be suspensions to get anyone's attention

Edit: this is how you tackle!

It'll be looked at.
    A 50,000 dollar fine means nothing to a multi millionaire. And a player can mistime a tackle badly.
    But realy for a repeat offender it'll have to be suspensions to get anyone's attention

Totally agree with you but the bit in bold there is a lot of players hiding behind what clearly is them leading with their heads and they use the excuse mistimed. When your head is out in front of your body making initial contact 99% of the time there is nothing mistimed about it. But there has been many very bad mistimed tackles that could be seen as nothing more than an accident but in the cases above i.e Merriweather and Harrison and other hits in recent weeks these are blatant leading with the head.

In closing though, unfortunately there will be perfectly good hits caught in the crossfire and players fined because they looked worse than they were and thread a line where there was head contact but no where the head was led. Hopefully the NFL review these situations and make sure players are told what is right and wrong.

Well you are a coach so more knowledge then me

All I can say is mistakes happen, if you say 99% of the time it's a excuse, sure I'll accept that :)

Well you are a coach so more knowledge then me

All I can say is mistakes happen, if you say 99% of the time it's a excuse, sure I'll accept that :)

Ah no I could be wrong to be honest more my opinion on it from what I see. Its funny watching all the coverage recently there are even more qualified guys than me that would agree 100% to what you said. Every one has a different opinion on tackles, hits and blocks ye know. :D For me I simply practice what I preach I am 100% safety first when coaching so I am totally bias to the safety side of the argument :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Have to say I agree completley with raven, feeling stressed and tallaght.

Just to add I dont think the big hits will be lost at all. Like feelingstressed's video. Ray lewis such a hard hitter yet you never see him lead with the helmet and try to actually injure the person ( except outside parties with knives but lets not get into that:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,959 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well don't come complaining here when you are watching flag footall in a couple of years is all I have to say. Because thats the way its heading right now.

Well don't come complaining here when you are watching flag footall in a couple of years is all I have to say. Because thats the way its heading right now.

Come on get real. How is it guys like Willis and Lewis can play hard without the use of their heads and not complain about it? It seems you are all for the use of ones head and if so it saddens me to think that people would rather see people risk injury for the sake of so called spectacular hits. Eagle may I suggest maybe one day you try learn to play the sport?

There is more to tackling and big hits than those ridiculous tackles we have seen recently. If you truly believe that the game is heading in the direction of non contact i.e flag football that is fair enough but there is many ways to tackle correctly with large impact that still makes the sport fun.

Who gives a fook if guys like James Harrison quits or whines. Plenty of hard hitting players out there who don't feel the need to use their heads and get the job done effectively.

Im beginning to think there is a deeper issue here with you again and Polian making the PI change or influencing it should i say. Because if you are standing up for tackles that lead with the head there is nothing more I can say other than :mad:

Ray lewis such a hard hitter yet you never see him lead with the helmet and try to actually injure the person ( except outside parties with knives but lets not get into that:P)

Ouch!!! :p

Let's never go there again!
    It went to court and is now dead and buried in the past

And a Titans fan can't realy comment in fairness, plenty of issues on your own team my friend ;)

Come on get real. How is it guys like Willis and Lewis can play hard without the use of their heads and not complain about it? It seems you are all for the use of ones head and if so it saddens me to think that people would rather see people risk injury for the sake of so called spectacular hits. Eagle may I suggest maybe one day you try learn to play the sport?

There is more to tackling and big hits than those ridiculous tackles we have seen recently. If you truly believe that the game is heading in the direction of non contact i.e flag football that is fair enough but there is many ways to tackle correctly with large impact that still makes the sport fun.

Who gives a fook if guys like James Harrison quits or whines. Plenty of hard hitting players out there who don't feel the need to use their heads and get the job done effectively.

Im beginning to think there is a deeper issue here with you again and Polian making the PI change or influencing it should i say. Because if you are standing up for tackles that lead with the head there is nothing more I can say other than :mad:
    I played Rugby in my day Tallaght. I know all about hits from that sport. I've personally clashed heads on a couple of occasions and there were no helmets. And launching as they call it is necessary at times, you do it when you feel that you won't get there if you don't. I can understand how these hits occur. I'm not saying that no hit ever was not meant but I am certain that most of them are not meant.
    You talk about hurting people, you can hurt people without head shots. And tbh I don't think players want to use their head but you are always going to be leading with your head.
    I've looked back at the hits from last weekend. Meriweather's hit on Heap was reckless but I still don't think he went out to paralyse the guy. It all happens in the blink of an eye and Heap moved when he hit so its very likely his intention was to grab him but his head got there first unfortunately but it was still reckless.
    I've already stated that I believe the best way to get rid of these hits is to relax the rules on PI calls a bit. I blame Polian for the change of emphasis on PI calls but he has nothing to do with this.

Like ffs the game has gone pass mad the last couple of years. There have been numerous QBs going over 4,000 yards and thats all because of the PI thing.

And if you read a couple of articles, the majority of people are saying that they don't think there is a malicious intent on most of these hits. I'm talking about head coaches, wide receivers and QBs all saying this. And a lot of them are saying they don't think there should be fines either.

And another thing. The NFL should not be fining players for hits. If there are going to be fines then it should be up to the NFLPA to decide if and when there are fines. After all they represent all the players in the NFL and any ruling made by them on fines would have to be fair.

• Advertisement

I played Rugby in my day Tallaght. I know all about hits from that sport. I've personally clashed heads on a couple of occasions and there were no helmets. And launching as they call it is necessary at times, you do it when you feel that you won't get there if you don't. I can understand how these hits occur. I'm not saying that no hit ever was not meant but I am certain that most of them are not meant.
    You talk about hurting people, you can hurt people without head shots. And tbh I don't think players want to use their head but you are always going to be leading with your head.
    I've looked back at the hits from last weekend. Meriweather's hit on Heap was reckless but I still don't think he went out to paralyse the guy. It all happens in the blink of an eye and Heap moved when he hit so its very likely his intention was to grab him but his head got there first unfortunately but it was still reckless.
    I've already stated that I believe the best way to get rid of these hits is to relax the rules on PI calls a bit. I blame Polian for the change of emphasis on PI calls but he has nothing to do with this.

Like ffs the game has gone pass mad the last couple of years. There have been numerous QBs going over 4,000 yards and thats all because of the PI thing.

And if you read a couple of articles, the majority of people are saying that they don't think there is a malicious intent on most of these hits. I'm talking about head coaches, wide receivers and QBs all saying this. And a lot of them are saying they don't think there should be fines either.

And another thing. The NFL should not be fining players for hits. If there are going to be fines then it should be up to the NFLPA to decide if and when there are fines. After all they represent all the players in the NFL and any ruling made by them on fines would have to be fair.

I have a feeling no matter how I put it to you, your opinion wont even slightly change.

I would invite you down to try American Football with the Helmet and pads though because trust me it is nothing like rugby. Players become braver with regards to hits as they are allowed to hit high.

Last point and Im done to briefly sum up. No one is saying these guys are going in with the intention to hurt anyone. Well accept Harrison he said it he is. But when you disregard safety aspects you are putting your own life at risk as well as somebody elses. The NFL like the NCAA have to draw a line somewhere.

You talk about hurting people, you can hurt people without head shots. And tbh

Of course you can like all contact sports but if you tackle someone correctly and with proper mechanics and an accident happens that you couldn't have done anything about there is no blame or fault but an accident. Leading into a tackle with your head is no accident. Whether malicious or not the player knows what he is doing.

I don't think players want to use their head but you are always going to be leading with your head.

Boll0cks. Again I emphasise that ALL players whether pee wee, high school, college or pro are told never to lead with your head using your helmet as a weapon. Both Harrison and Merriweather could have avoided the head contact by tackling with more conventional safe methods. To say you always go head first is BS and you are beginning to sound like those players and coaches using bad techniques trying to justify their actions.

If you are diving at someone and your head hits first, up high of all places then you should have taken the player with correct form as its not like he is a million miles away and you are diving to make a last ditch tackle.

To sum up because im not wasting anymore time on this:

- No one is saying malicious intent, Merely bad mechanics and bad form. And bad tackling techniques

- You dont need to ever lead with your head especially crown into face or head if you are tackling correctly

- Big hits can still be made with out the use of the head.

- And again I fail to see where the Pass Interference rubbish comes into this debate when neither Harrison or Merriweather where in a situation to even factor in the PI. They both hit guys who already made catches.

One last bit i noticed.
    I played Rugby in my day Tallaght. I know all about hits from that sport. I've personally clashed heads on a couple of occasions and there were no helmets. And launching as they call it is necessary at times, you do it when you feel that you won't get there if you don't.

This is not the same in Rugby as it is in American Football. You should never be launching up high with your head in either sport. Correct me if Im wrong but the head launching yourself up high in Rugby especially contact above the shoulders is against the rules is it not?

And as for Rugby your head clashes where by accident as neither party knew anything about it. As for American football players lead with their head i.e the weekend knowing they have helmets protecting their heads. Hence why the leading with the head is a factor right now. Don't compare the two Eagle as they are two different situations.

You seem to be picking me up wrong about leading with your head. When you go off your feet to tackle you are going with your head first, the intention is to use your arms but you are always leading with your head until your get close to the player, when you are about to connect then you bring out your arms. If something changes while you are in flight then the head can get there first.

I mean if you lead with your arms in front of you then its hard to change the direction of your aim, thats why you leave your arms down as long as possible.

- And again I fail to see where the Pass Interference rubbish comes into this debate when neither Harrison or Merriweather where in a situation to even factor in the PI. They both hit guys who already made catches.

They can't go near the player is why it comes into it. Its just ridiculous at the moment. Its got to the stage where receivers are now trying to make it look like there was some sort of contact when the miss a ball. Did you see the bull**** call on Meriweather the weekend? Illegal contact and he wasn't even near the player?

You seem to be picking me up wrong about leading with your head. When you go off your feet to tackle you are going with your head first, the intention is to use your arms but you are always leading with your head until your get close to the player, when you are about to connect then you bring out your arms. If something changes while you are in flight then the head can get there first.

I mean if you lead with your arms in front of you then its hard to change the direction of your aim, thats why you leave your arms down as long as possible.

What I am saying to you if you are that close to make head to head contact in the beginning up high you should not leaving the ground to dive at someone. You should be wrapping them up. Diving at a player head first is called spearing and also is a big no no in football and has been for a very long time. You look at any player diving at another player in the NFL they are diving to grab low or on a pile but they never aim to hit high while launching themselves as that is bordering on spearing. Any player that does should have better cop on and should go learn how to tackle properly.

They can't go near the player is why it comes into it. Its just ridiculous at the moment. Its got to the stage where receivers are now trying to make it look like there was some sort of contact when the miss a ball. Did you see the bull**** call on Meriweather the weekend? Illegal contact and he wasn't even near the player?

What? Polian and PI has nothing to do with anything here in this discussion. And they can go near a player when the ball is in the WR hands they can tackle him so Im failing to see what you are getting at. Had their coverage been better the WR wouldn't have the ball.

The rule clearly states bump within first 5 yards while the QB has the ball in his hand after that you cannot touch him at all until he makes a play on the ball and touches it and you have turned to watch the flight of the ball before making contact. What is so hard to understand there? Sure there is some bullsh1t calls but the rules are clearly laid out below.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

But I get back to my main point what has this got to do with the issue at hand? Many of the head to head contacts are made after the catch and do not relate to PI in any way. The Defender should still know how to tackle correctly.

Anyways Im done with this. Have a good night and all of that. Another debate put down to agreeing to disagree it seems.

What I am saying to you if you are that close to make head to head contact in the beginning up high you should not leaving the ground to dive at someone. You should be wrapping them up. Diving at a player head first is called spearing and also is a big no no in football and has been for a very long time. You look at any player diving at another player in the NFL they are diving to grab low or on a pile but they never aim to hit high while launching themselves as that is bordering on spearing. Any player that does should have better cop on and should go learn how to tackle properly.

But there is a fine line between a great tackle and hitting with the head first. You hardly expect a player to have his arms out in front of him from the beginning. That is giving the defender a chance to get away with a slight move. If you hold your hands down until its time to connect then the player doesn't know which exact way your are going to grab him and you have an advantage there.
    I know what spearing is, thats going full on with your head down and no arms. I don't think its the intention of 99% of players to get their with their head first and I do think they intend to use their arms but sometimes its gonna happen. All it takes is another player to make contact first or the target to see something and move a bit and then things go wrong.

I've already said that Meriweather's hit on Heap was reckless but Heap is a good friend of his so I doubt he went in to that tackle with the intent of injuring the guy.

And again by the way, the NFL have no business fining players. If they want to make rules then make them but they should not be fining players. That should be left to the NFLPA.

And did you see Sanders hit that he got fined for? It was almost on the ground. And Dunta Robinson got done too and that was just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Not sure if this was posted. Couldn't see it in the thread.

Video from the NFL commissioner sent to all NFL teams.

Player Safety

But there is a fine line between a great tackle and hitting with the head first. You hardly expect a player to have his arms out in front of him from the beginning. That is giving the defender a chance to get away with a slight move. If you hold your hands down until its time to connect then the player doesn't know which exact way your are going to grab him and you have an advantage there.
    I know what spearing is, thats going full on with your head down and no arms. I don't think its the intention of 99% of players to get their with their head first and I do think they intend to use their arms but sometimes its gonna happen. All it takes is another player to make contact first or the target to see something and move a bit and then things go wrong.

I've already said that Meriweather's hit on Heap was reckless but Heap is a good friend of his so I doubt he went in to that tackle with the intent of injuring the guy.

Look I already told you I was done with this. For me to continue this I would have to go down the road it seems of explaining the basics of tackling to you and the forms of tackling in football. Because it seems you are not grasping what I am saying to you because over and over you are debating the same points back to me. I never even once said grabbing just with arms.

Once again eagle eye we get into the a discussion about the mechanics of the game and you are ignoring everything I have written and start saying things I never wrote or implied. So if you want a discussion on the mechanics of the game we can but only if you are open to the idea you arent always right.

And once again in large letters and bold to spell it out to finish off:

THE ISSUE HERE ISN'T THE INTENT THE PLAYERS HAD TO HURT THE BALL CARRIER, MORE SO THE FACT THE LEAD WITH THEIR HEADS RECKLESSLY EVEN AS YOU ADMITTED YOURSELF, BAD TACKLING IS BAD TACKLING ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS DANGEROUS. SIMPLE AS. SO DROP THE INTENT TO INJURE LINE. THIS DISCUSSION SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT MECHANICS OF TACKLING AND NOTHING MORE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Tallaght’s posts have been crystal clear regarding the tackles and he is absolutely right. I think it’s difficult for people who haven’t played football or rugby to understand how tackling actually works without having any experience of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

OK, the coaches on the sidelines have made their points. They should agree to disagree. Let's tackle this discussion before someone fumbles and it gets too personal!

LFL2-791756.jpg

Oh My God :D

Tell me more Blue Lagoon! :D

(Guys argue some more, quick!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Ouch!!! :p

Let's never go there again!
    It went to court and is now dead and buried in the past

And a Titans fan can't realy comment in fairness, plenty of issues on your own team my friend ;)

Go hard or go home:P

Hey, let's start an argument over it, Blue Lagoon will forced to post more pics :D

So, dirtiest team in the NFL?

Hey, let's start an argument over it, Blue Lagoon will forced to post more pics :D

So, dirtiest team in the NFL?

Who do you follow? I will argue with you right now! ;)

OK, the coaches on the sidelines have made their points. They should agree to disagree. Let's tackle this discussion before someone fumbles and it gets too personal!

I don't agree with your mod powers rabble rabble rabble........

Disclaimer: I want MOAR pics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dukes and Woodson pissing their pants that Brady got voted ahead of Smith, Elway and Marino. I do think Marino gets denied a lot of credit because he doesn't have a ring. After all, it's a team game, and the man's stats in the era he played are incredible. Then again, look at what Brady achieved. the real shocker for me, is all these guys are outside the top 20!!! :eek:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81b88f20/Tom-Brady-ranked-No-21-of-all-time?module=HP_headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tom Brady ahead of Marino, Elway, Emmitt and Deion....get the fcuk out of here

Marino, Emmitt and Elway are top 10, its as clear as daylight, Deion is at least top 15 as he's probably the best DB ever to play.

Randy Moss ahead of Steve Young and Marcus Allen, Eric Dickerson outside top 50... what are these lads on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

If it continues we will be eventually watching flag football.

I know you're exaggerating for effect, and I've read and heard a number of similar things from ex players and commentators in the last week, but this is total nonsense. Making the head area out of bounds when it comes to tackling will not significantly change the nature of the sport, it will still be violent, physical, there will still be big hits, it will still be spectacular, people will still get hurt. What it will do is offer a certain degree of protection to players who may otherwise suffer extremely serious, life-threatening injuries, or who might end up paralysed or brain damaged.

It's also better for the league itself, just look at this week, Desean Jackson, one of the best WR in the game, is out, and may be out for a number of weeks. Dunta Robinson too. Does this make the game better? Absolutely not. The above quote is tantamount to saying that rugby is worthless if you take out spear-tackling or clotheslines.

And as for James Harrison, the guy needs to grow up. Threatening to retire because he got fined? It's the reaction of a five-year old. Some of his comments afterwards were a disgrace, but also typical of some of the whining short-sightedness that has emerged from the camp that is incapable of dealing with change, or think that you should be allowed to do whatever you want on a football field. Football is about aggression, sure, but controlled aggression, and being able to control and discipline this violence and physicality is just as big a part of the game as hitting hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement