Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ha! My ignorance is showing! There's got to be some good ones though, right?!

I'm sure there are some that are drinkable. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a wine snob though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck.

On subject of beer, there’s a great off license on Fenian Street, Dublin 2. Probus Wines. Lots of unusual pale ales, with a good (but expensive) selection from Norway. The guy that works there is the beer fountain of knowledge.

On the subject of running. Best of luck in London. Nice win at the Parkrun. Pronator was probably testing your friendship. You failed but a win is a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Best of luck.

On subject of beer, there’s a great off license on Fenian Street, Dublin 2. Probus Wines. Lots of unusual pale ales, with a good (but expensive) selection from Norway. The guy that works there is the beer fountain of knowledge.
    Do you mean the NØGNE Ø beers? Some fantastic beers in their range, but yes frightfully exclusive expensive (Now who's the snob, Kurt?!). I was in Norway a couple of years back (did some long runs for my first ever marathon while I was over there, including this inter-island hop) and yes, everything related to beer is very expensive over there. You can pick up cheap beer in the state off-licenses/supermarkets, but it's pretty crappy stuff. NØGNE Ø is top-notch but more of a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Mmmmmm cake!

Best of luck on Sunday, the boards.ie team could do with a few more success stories to lift the negativity!!

No pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Do you mean the NØGNE Ø beers? Some fantastic beers in their range, but yes frightfully exclusive expensive (Now who's the snob, Kurt?!). I was in Norway a couple of years back (did some long runs for my first ever marathon while I was over there, including this inter-island hop) and yes, everything related to beer is very expensive over there. You can pick up cheap beer in the state off-licenses/supermarkets, but it's pretty crappy stuff. NØGNE Ø is top-notch but more of a special occasion.

The very one. Amazing stuff. I try to justify the crazy price by pretending it's a bottle of wine I'm buying.

On another note, I recall you mentioning a mountain marathon you're doing later this year? Which one is that? I was planning on doing one of the skyrunning races but a calendar clash is ruling it out. Looking for an alternative.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    On another note, I recall you mentioning a mountain marathon you're doing later this year? Which one is that? I was planning on doing one of the skyrunning races but a calendar clash is ruling it out. Looking for an alternative.
    It's the SwissAlpine marathon in Davos (K42) on the 27th July. I believe it's mostly on trails, but haven't done much research, beyond signing-up.

img_0443.jpg?w=1400&h=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

The very best of luck on Sunday, looks like conditions will be nigh on perfect for the race so looking forward to hearing how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very best of luck at the weekend Gary, i shall be tracking online. The training block has seen exceptional work put down so go out there and get what you worked hard for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck on sun,,dont feck it up as theres is no back up in may;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The very best of luck G, hope it all goes to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good Luck, KC - that Davos marathon looks great, BTW...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck this weekend - not sure what your marathon target pace is but I'd be confident that there may be subconscious sand bagging going on and that you'll not only smash your PB but will also run very comfortably doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Best of luck, love following your progress.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend - not sure what your marathon target pace is but I'd be confident that there may be subconscious sand bagging going on and that you'll not only smash your PB but will also run very comfortably doing it.
    Cheers Gringo. I've never been one for sand-bagging. Quite the opposite in fact, I haven't managed to hit a single one of my marathon targets since I decided to go for sub 3:30, in my first marathon in Longford in 2008! The pace-band has 2:39 written on it. I want nothing more, nothing less! Not greedy at all. :)

Sorry, just re-read and saw the word 'subconscious'. Yeah, I'd frickin love if there was subconscious sand-bagging! Would love to re-live my Barcelona marathon experience, and just feel great and relaxed throughout the race. I'll have to wait and see if this is one of those opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck on Sunday Krusty. You'll burn it up over there. Looking forward to reading all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Very best of luck at the weekend, incredibly impressive training effort over the last few months ( & years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck on Sunday Krusty. You'll burn it up over there. Looking forward to reading all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck on Sunday

Just to close out on the whole race-weight experiment, here's how thing ended up:

Starting weight: 11 stone 8lbs (73.5kgs)
    Race weight target: 11 stone 3lbs (71.2kgs)
    Race weight actual*: 11 stone 1lbs (70.3kgs)

*: Race isn't until Sunday and I will be eating extra carbs on Friday/Saturday so will gain some weight, but that's planned/expected, so outside of the scope of the original goal.

So, one success that will hopefully offer me some benefit on Sunday. I didn't go without food (in fact, I often used it as an opportunity to eat a lot more food) I just ate less junk. Staying off the beer certainly helped too. Looking back over the last week's food diary, there are lots of entries like:
    Cup of tea + 7 ginger nuts
    McVities Chocolate Digestives - 5 biscuits
    So the junk certainly wasn't entirely cut out, I just had a hard stopping point!

A couple of closing thoughts on the experiment:
    1. I figured if I was to have a chance at hitting my goal, everything would need to line up correctly. Weight, weather, training, injury, health,... everything. I'm glad that at least one of those things is ticked off, heading into the race.
    2. Dropping the weight hasn't been a big challenge. Admittedly, I've averaged 11 miles per day so far this year, which kind of helps. I'd imagine keeping that weight off after the race will be far more difficult (particularly with all of the beer I plan on consuming in the weeks after the race!). I thought it would be more difficult, but as it turns out, as long as you are running and keeping pretty active, you can eat an awful lot of food, without gaining weight, particularly if you watch what you are eating.
    3. The impact of beer should not be under-estimated. I love beer (I think that's pretty apparent from this training log!). But I love racing too. Life is too short for me to not enjoy both. But, If I want to really focus on one, I have to ease up on the other!
    4. Like running progress, losing weight takes time. So much time, that you barely notice it happening. Stand on the scale on a Monday and the following Wednesday and you probably won't see any difference. Give it a week, and you'll have forgotten what your weight was on the Monday. It's only when you step back that you see the progress.
    5. There's just something fitting and 'proper' in my mind about managing weight/diet in this manner. If you run 10 miles, you get to consume an extra 1,000 calories. Run 20 miles, and you can enjoy a veritable feast of beer, biscuits and chocolate, and guilt-free gluttony. Anyway, I can't see myself keeping up the tracking regime after London, but I hope the subconscious balancing act will keep me on the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Very best of luck KC, looking forward to the report already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't want to put on any extra pressure - but you have to know you've set yourself an enormous challenge this weekend. Many have tried, and most have retired broken and defeated - but you, you've been training for this for years, you've shown dedication, focus, and commitment, and you'll have to draw on all of that experience if you're to top Marthastew in the race report stakes.
    Hope the running bit goes well too :)

RayCun wrote: »
    you'll have to draw on all of that experience if you're to top Marthastew in the race report stakes.
    Can I surrender that honour already?

Depositphotos_6433956_XS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Best of luck KC, you're weight entries over the last few weeks have got me back into gear and I've started to take my diet seriously again. It's so easy to get into bad habits and eat junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Kill it, you crazy clown.
    (7 ginger nuts, bit extreme?)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Best of luck on Sunday KC. Been quietly following your log over the last few months and it's always a pleasure to read. No doubt you'll smash out a PB. Based on the training effort you've been putting in, you certainly deserve one.

Just have to pray for the weather gods to be a bit more considerate now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Very best of luck in London Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Best of luck in London Krusty... Only positive thoughts now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck on Sunday, hope you've a brilliant day out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I. Hope. You. Win. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Another quiet follower of your log here - not the only one judging by the 289,000+ views ! best of luck on Sunday.

Advertisement