Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man dies in waste disposal truck incident in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

what a horrific way to die, poor guy trying to do an honest days work. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Awful and one imagines quite preventable.

(off topic Bin lorry used to be the common term, when did we move to America?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Just imagine the last few seconds of his life, poor guy knew he was a goner. I've looked into those machines before and imagined falling in �� seen some video recently of a compacter that grinds up a whole car! Frighning stuff to fall into one! You won't die instantly but you will realise you're going to die in the next few short seconds. R.i.p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Lousy. Poor man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

seamus wrote: »
    Possibly, but considering how sensitive the scales on those self-service checkouts are, I don't see why a compactor couldn't be fitted with one that can detect a 40kg jump in weight. Notwithstanding that they could be carrying 5,000kg already
    It is possible, just hard to make reliable. Sensitivity is not the problem, its the very small weight change required compared to the dynamics of a working compactor. If you monitor the weight of the entire compacting unit, its movement will certainly cause weight changes well in excess of the sensitivity needed. If you just weigh with a sensor on the bottom of the compactor, a person falling onto the waste in the compactor will have their weight spread out rather than focused on the scales, waste jammed against sides etc.

Im not saying it would,t work by any means, It would just be tricky to have reliable.
    it should be possible though it might be quite expensive.I like the idea, but a big problem with any safety system is the human element. The collectors could wear a tag on their clothing which shuts down the compactor when it crosses the threshold, but then the collectors get wise to this and start removing their jackets so they can jump in the back and clear a blockage.

Ideally any safety system does not have any scope to be bypassed. If it can be bypassed, then you may as well not have it.
    Yes no doubt there is that which I was expecting you would rightly mention.

Maybe a weight sensor on the bottom rim of the entrance to the compactor, like a moving bar. It would be hard to fall in without pressing down on the edge of the Entrance opening. Or on the actual back step, so only standing on the left and right hand ends does not stop the compactor, but standing on it to climb into compactor operates the stop loop.

There are possibilities, but it will possibly be looked upon as a freak accident needing no safety changes to the machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hope the company looks after his family

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Very tragic way to go.

There's not a whole lot you can do in the way of safety systems if someone is standing in the back of one of these things. It's probably something he did a million times before.
    Maybe some kind of weight sensor switch that the system will shut down if the load suddenly increases by 40kg or more.

The weight change of a person falling in would likely be too small to reliably work in a hydraulic compactor.

Some type of sensor like whats used for security in shop doorways to detect items stolen when they pass the sensors, might be a possibility.

Perhaps if they wore a tag which rendered the compacter unoperational if it is detected inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Deaths like this get joked about but in other cases like Jill Meagher, that same person joking will be all sympathetic.

Perhaps if they wore a tag which rendered the compacted unoperational if it is detected inside.

Yea thats what I was suggesting, but as seamus said, they would not have to wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

We have a medium size compactor in work. If it got stuck midway there is no way in hell you would see me inside it trying to free it up, your asking for trouble. I would be calling an engineer out to fix it.

Tragic incident , but what the how the hell did he end up inside the machine ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

FearDark wrote: »
    For the sake of the ban I'll get.

You sir are a complete cunt.
    They're just words written on an internet forum, no need to get your knickers in a twist, get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Glad to see there aren't many stupid puns on this thread.

Compare it to this thread however. Some posters wouldn't have the balls to make a joke because this poor man was from Ireland, no problem though if it happens in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

They're just words written on an internet forum, no need to get your knickers in a twist, get over yourself.

So you'd be ok if I made a joke about one of your family members with cancer.....cause it's just words on an Internet forum after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

You made a horrible and cowardly unfunny joke about a poor man who lost his life doing an honest days work

Maybe you should have a look in the mirror

Tragic, was doing a job nobody even cares about.
    That makes him worth the time to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Just because your behind the mask of an internet forum doesnt make it acceptable to joke about these things, Its tragic news, the poor mans family must be absolutely heartbroken. Horrible way to go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Very Sad. Poor guy and as another poster mentioned I hope his family are looked after.

In relation to the "joke" I think you are free to post whatever you wish but I also feel it's a good idea to think about how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a member of your family that perished. More than likely the people who post these puns are not actually bad people but just fail to think about how impacting their words can be. If you wouldnt sign your real name to a post then your best bet would probably be not to hit the reply button.

Anyways and more importantly my thoughts are with the guy and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

It's a rubbish waste of life alright.

What a waste of a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is very sad. Unfortunately people, including myself get complacent dealing with large equipment in their jobs, maybe he'd been in the back clearing blockages a hundered times or maybe this was his first attempt.
    Poor man, to think of it makes me shudder to the bone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Poor guy. RIP

I always read these threads. They allow me to pay the respects and also to spot the members of this site that are subhuman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just because your behind the mask of an internet forum doesnt make it acceptable to joke about these things, Its tragic news, the poor mans family must be absolutely heartbroken. Horrible way to go too.
    It's OK, apparently because they're just words on an internet forum, they don't exist. Or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You've a young girl right? Better keep her away from your internet in case she sees the cruel sh!t Daddy is posting.

What if she was the one that got killed yesterday. Would you appreciate others posting jokes about it?

Sure it's only words on the internet right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Poor b*stard.

You seen annoyed by other words on an internet forum there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Yea, I'd say they're crushed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ideally any safety system does not have any scope to be bypassed. If it can be bypassed, then you may as well not have it.
    A heat sensor might work, similar to those used in house alarms. I can't imagine their would be a whole lot of rubbish going in that could match the shape/heat of a human so it should be somewhat easy to detect when it happens and disable to compactor.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

What a completely unfunny and insensitive joke. Trying to be 'cool' on an internet forum, I'd say the only waste of life is your pathetic existence tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Lots of hard men on this thread jeering behind plastic screens. Normally the same fools who put more thought into the death of a celeb.
    RIP to a working fellow. I hope his family get huge compensation for their loss. He mightve been the only breadwinner. A horrible way to die. What he must've gone through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Heard the driver is being trated for shock - heart goes out to him too

• Advertisement

I can only imagine how the truck driver might feel - assuming that he has the controls of the machine itself? Unknowingly causing the death of your friend and co-worker. So sad on both accounts.

You do realize that the chances of this person's friends and family reading your cold-hearted messages is extremely high, right? Yeah, someone mentioned how you have a kid? If something bad happens to them, let's all make disgusting comments and jokes about it, because "they're just words written on an internet forum, no need to get your knickers in a twist, get over yourself".

Advertisement