Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted a cyclist with the brightest lights on his bike... where to get the same?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

steve9859 wrote: »
    I really don't get why anyone would want or need one of these (I commute over 10 miles by the way each way late night and early morning through London)
    I think you've answered your own query. London is a mass of artificial light. Try cycling at speed on pitch black rural pot-holed and debris strewn roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Exactly. I don't a need bright light till I hit the phoenix park, and the dark back roads beyond. In the city you don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Only 300 lumens though - some lads are using 2000 lumens!
    2000 lumens would be massive overkill for the road and in fact would cause problems with blinding oncoming drivers. (Any 2000 lumen light I'm aware of is a circular beam oriented at MTB use.)

300 lumens is more than enough for road cycling. I've done 70km/h twisting descents in the pitch dark on 225 lumens (Fenix TK11 down from Sally Gap and Stocking Lane.)

Even there that is still a torch with a circular beam; you could get equivalent illumination with substantially less lumens with a light that used a road-specific beam pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I think you've answered your own query. London is a mass of artificial light. Try cycling at speed on pitch black rural pot-holed and debris strewn roads.

I acept that you need them in the unlit country. I said so in a previuos post. But there are plenty of people have them in the city, and just blind everyone.....Just turn them off or turn them down or do something! Like you drive with your full beams in your car in a country lane....you dont in the city. People that have these things in the city, either because they have a misguided idea that it makes them safer, or they dont turn them off after the country part of their commute really irritate me. Other posters have pointed out the danger of someone turning round to see if there is anything coming, and getting the LED headlamp or crazy bright front light from the person behind direct in the face!!

steve9859 wrote: »
    But there are plenty of people have them in the city, and just blind everyone.....

Have to say I've only noticed a few not plenty.

Of course if theres an epidemic I assume the cops should be pulling them over. Same with people with no lights, or cars, with no lights, or one light on full beam, or side lights, or pedestrians crossing the road, dangerously.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

BostonB wrote: »
    Have to say I've only noticed a few not plenty.

Of course if theres an epidemic I assume the cops should be pulling them over. Same with people with no lights, or cars, with no lights, or one light on full beam, or side lights, or pedestrians crossing the road, dangerously.

;)

6am crossing putney bridge there are strobe lights everywhere - head and handlebars!

Thats what you get for to moving to the bright lights of London.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi

as I said, here is a video of the Skyray cree led torch that I use for night time off-road spins.

Its a basic vid but it'll give a rough idea of the brightness -and for $19 - it's not bad. Just remember - no batteries (18650) come with it, and a new charger will prob have to be bought. The 18650 batteries are bigger than your standard aa/aaa.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

18650s are bigger, but have superior energy density to AA/AAA. mAh ratings on 18650 are similar to AA (and far above AAA) but they are 3.7V rather than 1.2V (NiMh rechargeables.) As such an 18650 is the equivalent of around 3 AAs; most comparable torches running on AAs will require three or four AAs, which certainly is bigger than a single 18650.

Advertisement