Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Blue Punto wrote: »
    Shane_ef wrote: »
    Can a mod maybe merge the two thrends, keep things tidy.. Glad to hear all are ok... Now since this is on the active is it considered a crash landing or taxiing incident

Since the aircraft had landed and the incident occured on the taxiway I cant see why it would be called a crash landing ,So taxing incident

Cheers I'vebeen telling everyone at work it wasn't a crash landing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 North Face

Possibly a AAIU requirement till investigation etc.. is conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

no wonder my flight is delayed. I'm sitting here in Gatwick Airport at the moment waiting for Ryanair flight. Was supposed to depart at 15:50. Delayed until 17:30

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

Aer Lingus Regional (Aer Arann) ATR 72-212 EI-SLM AT SHANNON AIRPORT TODAY

http://pix.ie/iceaxe/album/415899

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If the aircraft had the nose gear failure on a taxiway why is the Airport closed, aircraft can access the runway from any end so just wondering why its closed when the plane is not on the runway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If the aircraft had the nose gear failure on a taxiway why is the Airport closed, aircraft can access the runway from any end so just wondering why its closed when the plane is not on the runway

Maybe there could be an issue with the runway that cause the nose gear to fail?

Procedures are there to be followed in cases like this. A good reason for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Storm 10 wrote: »

It appears to be right on a turnoff from the runway, on the runway side of the holding point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Sorry about the new thread, didnt see this one in my excitement.

Heard from my friend there again, flight dispatcher in Shannon;
    " It collapsed on touchdown, dragged half way down the runway, turned to Alpha apparently using a brake and ended up on the grass"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Airport reopened.

Via twitter... Aer-Lingus-gets-towed-310x415.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

They will have had to walk the runway checking for debris I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Now that there have been no confirmed injuries (thankfully), how long should EI-SLM be out of service for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I guess any landing you can walk away from is a good one lol.

Well done to the pilot though, all that training paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

SLM is pretty badly damaged and will need alot of work to return to service if ATR do not declare the A/C BER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Acknowleding that anything at this stage is mostly speculation, is there anything yet to indicate how the nosewheel collapsed? The most likely cause of course is a nosewheel landing or porpoise, especially with the windshear reported. Otherwise conditions weren't THAT bad - 23 kts crosswind component, as per the METAR issued 8 minutes after. What is the max x-wind allowable for that aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Su Campu wrote: »
    Acknowleding that anything at this stage is mostly speculation, is there anything yet to indicate how the nosewheel collapsed? The most likely cause of course is a nosewheel landing or porpoise, especially with the windshear reported. Otherwise conditions weren't THAT bad - 23 kts crosswind component, as per the METAR issued 8 minutes after. What is the max x-wind allowable for that aircraft?

The ATR has a pretty pronounced nose-down attitude on landing compared to other aircraft, I'd imagine being a little fast on the approach, floating in the conditions and a mis-judged flare COULD do it. Here's one in a similar crosswind a few months ago, 24028G41KT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81psDt8HHtY

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

max rating is 35 kts as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heres one landing in Cardiff really gives the nose wheel a big hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Hm4rMWrtM

Lads can anyone confirm when the nose gear collapsed , was it at the point of landing or during deceleration or while taxiing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Well looking at that video storm10 posted and hearing that two attempts were made to land I would guess that it failed shortly after landing, cant blame anyone for a hard landing in bad conditions, looking at the videos those ATR look like they touch down on the nose almost before the main gear touches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ryanstella

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Cheers I'vebeen telling everyone at work it wasn't a crash landing....

I was on that flight with my husband and two young children, the plane was coming down so fast it felt like it was falling out of the sky and when we hit the ground the plane bounced back up into the air and then tried again to land even though my kids had gone pail and my son started to throw up. I was so scared and all the passengers prepared for a crash.. my husband and I held hands and put our other arms over the kids to brace them. when hitting the ground we bounced all over and off the ground and on the ground then crashed into the side of the runway with the nose of the plane skidding across the ground till we hit grass. A crash does not have to hit another plane.. the plane crashed into the ground ... It was a crash and if you were on that plane you would have felt the shocked of it! My kids were terrified and did not want to the plane back home to England. We are happy to be alive and had sometime on that plane where we didn't know what was gonna happen next. When we crashed into the grass we were rushed off the plane and had to walk down a broken stair case and were told to stand away from the plane in case it blows into flames... that is a crash to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ryanstella

LOL

ATR72 carries 68-74 AFAIK.

It carries at least 60 passengers. I was on that plane crash... it was much bigger then a 25 seater and we were in seats 56-60. And yes there was only 21 passengers and it seemed empty with all the available seats

Ok firstly that is the first first-hand account I have come across and it sounds terrifying for your kids, no person should have to experience something like that, I hope this doesnt have adverse affects on you or your childrens faith in aviation, and I send my regards,

Now my statement was made given the information to hand at the timr, see the post at similar times, I asked a question and was given an answer, I formed that opinion because I dont believe in a lot of what media say, given that its over dramatic, even tho in this case it wasn't, also I know what a crash is..
    I sense some anger in your post, but frankly it shouldn't be directed at me, my post and statements were made with the info at the time, they were wrong but not stupid or disrespectful ,

Regards shane

Edit- the information at the time was that the aircraft nose gear had collapsed while taxiing at the beginning of alpha hence my statements

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ryanstella's graphic account of this incident will give a very clear focus to whatever report is issued by the AAIB.....Thank God everybody walked away from this one !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AAIU Prelim out on this:

http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=13326&lang=ENG&loc=1652

Summary: Nose down and contact made on first attempt, nose down on second (although possibly not at first contact), hydraulics failed, hence what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

MYOB wrote: »
    AAIU Prelim out on this:

http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=13326&lang=ENG&loc=1652

Summary: Nose down and contact made on first attempt, nose down on second (although possibly not at first contact), hydraulics failed, hence what happened

Has shannon aiport flight traffic increased any bit and will it decrease again this winter?

Has shannon aiport flight traffic increased any bit and will it decrease again this winter?

Entirely unrelated to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Any update on the aircraft? Is it still in Shannon?

Was it repaired and returned to service or was it a write off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dercu

Heard a few weeks ago it's still in hangar. Insurance issues.

Advertisement