Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare Queries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What serious amount of money are you referring to? The SU budget comes from the University through the student service charge which a large portion of students are exempt from. The SU budget is not a Welfare issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

snazzy wrote: »
    Derek, I've a query I thought would be better addressed to you though I know it's not strictly to do with Welfare so I'll spoiler it in case anyone thinks it should be removed. This could just be horrible hearsay.
    Talking to someone today and we were talking about who we had voted for and we both said we'd voted for you.
    Then the other person said " That was before I found out what his supporters did in the Lodge last night."
    So I asked what they meant and they said that apparently a group of your supporters surrounded Nick Ryan [or some of his supporters, not sure] and there was a bit of a scuffle.

Now I don't know the validity of this statement or their source and i didn't go saying it to anyone else but thought I'd mention it and find out the validity of this statement.
    I asked Nick Ryan about this specifically due to your post. He said it didn't happen and was definite about that. Another election rumour I'm afraid.

The election thread would have been a better place to ask about this as this thread is specifically for welfare queries. But to set your mind at ease, the horse's mouth said it definitely didn't happen.
    Concy wrote: »
    It dispicable that students should have to contribute for these to a SU that recieves a serious amount of money every year. A friend of mine suggested that it happened to him and he was quite intimidated by the 'tapping of the jar'. This friend of mine is from a disadvantaged area in Dublin and said he actually didnt have the money to buy his own, hence he went to the SU to recieve them for "free".

Maybe our so called Welfare Officer might like to give a small fortune of his 26,000 salary instead of cash strapped students if he is so concerned about raising money??
    No hassle with you starting a new thread about the condom donations if you so choose as what you're doing is thread-spoiling. And you've got the wage amount of the SU officers wrong, I suggest correcting that in your new thread if for some reason you find it relevant there as this thread is specifically for welfare queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Cheers to Sceptre for sorting that one out :)

Hi Derek,

I actually went to the social welfare office since I last posted to see what the story was with signing during summer months and apparently for mature students it's fine. It might depend on how many stamps you have built up and stuff but the lady I was talking to said we could claim for summer and maybe even Christmas and Easter although she's not totally sure about the last two. It's good to know though, it's not something I came across on either the irish welfare website or the CIC website.

Just thought I'd update ye incase anyone else had a similar query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Msirishbell

Hi,

I'm applying for a grant for a postgrad in UL as a mature independent candidate. I graduated from my undergad in 2008. I have never applied for a grant before. Have you heard anything about the rule that saids you must have a break of at least 3 years before applying as an independent mature candidate. Its very confusing. Wondering does this apply to me as it refers to having previously been a dependent candidate but I've never applied for a grant. Any help much appreciated.

This is true. An independent mature candidate must have a 3 year gap between completeing their undergrad and beginning a postgrad.

If you've been unemployed for 9 months or more you can apply for Back to Education Allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

ninty9er wrote: »
    Unless you are in receipt of BTEA you generally can't sign on for the summer. This may differ for mature students so I will check it out and get back to you when I get a reply.

If it's any help, I am/was a mature student and didn't have any trouble signing on every summer. You are available for work so you can sign. Summer only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ExamStresser

Hey there! Soon to be first year! I qualify for the HEAR scheme and am just wondering that if I'm not in receipt of a grant, is it true that access will pay my fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hows a going Derek,
    Just about the registration fee i have applied to Limerick VEC for a grant this year last year i got it and they paid the Registration fee for me,im hoping they will do the same this year but as you know it may be a while before they get back to me.I was just wondering is it ok if i only pay the 72 euro and then wait and see if they will pay the 1,500.
    Any feedback would be appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

No specifically welfare-related but just wondering why there are two dates given for payment of fees (start of Sept and Jan)?

I'm heading on study abroad this semester and would just like to know if I can hold back payment of tuition fees until the Jan date?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there! Soon to be first year! I qualify for the HEAR scheme and am just wondering that if I'm not in receipt of a grant, is it true that access will pay my fees?
    To my knowledge yes. However, you must apply for the grant yourself. Tuesday is the closing date, so get at LEAST the form in to the Council by then. I don't mean to scold you, but it is extremely late in the day to be asking a question like that. I know you may not have thought it was that important, but it is always better to ask asap. the form is available for download here
    Hows a going Derek,
    Just about the registration fee i have applied to Limerick VEC for a grant this year last year i got it and they paid the Registration fee for me,im hoping they will do the same this year but as you know it may be a while before they get back to me.I was just wondering is it ok if i only pay the 72 euro and then wait and see if they will pay the 1,500.
    Any feedback would be appreciate
    Yes, there is a form you can get in the shelves outside SAA and submit to the Fees Office stating that you are waiting for confirmation of your grant. I'm not even sure you need to do this as a 2nd year student.
    CiaranMT wrote: »
    No specifically welfare-related but just wondering why there are two dates given for payment of fees (start of Sept and Jan)?

I'm heading on study abroad this semester and would just like to know if I can hold back payment of tuition fees until the Jan date?

Thanks in advance.
    This relates only to tuition fees unless something has changed and I haven't been told. If you do not qualify for free fees, you must still pay both, as fees are paid to the home institution in the case of study abroad.

• Advertisement

Bump.

It's that time of year again when the issues start creeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

Hi Derek,
    I have a query regarding BTEA which I hope you can help me with. I am a full-time mature student in UL. I am in receipt of BTEA and thankfully also a maintenance grant. My query relates to working part-time throughout the college year. Is there a limit on the amount of hours you can work per week? I've checked welfare.ie but can't find anything on this. Also, if there is a limit, is it per week or is it an average per week over the year?

Thanks for any help you can provide....

Hi Gazza1000,

There is no defined level of hours, and hours are irrelevant in terms of the grant.

I would suggest speaking with someone at your local Social Protection Office in relation to BTEA and working hours, but I will ask some of my colleagues in the other colleges if they have come across the query before.

Derek

Hey everyone. This is the response from the Fees Office in relation to fee demands sent out recently to students on a grant.
    Hi Derek,

We have recently sent out demands to all students that have an outstanding fee balance. A lot of students are in receipt of grants but have failed to submit a copy of their award letter from the grant authority to the fees office so until they submit the award letter to us they are liable to the fee.

For students that have applied for the grant but have not yet been approved they can ignore the demand for the time being until a decision has been made. As soon as a decision has been made they either send us in a copy of their award letter or in the event that they don’t get the grant they will have to pay the fee then.

Advertisement