Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Is Coming....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Fire Brigade have arrived...I think they're going to cut the bridge out of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

They have more services attending, I'm expecting to see the rescue helicopter from Shannon next

I just heard a SNAP followed by lots of shouting and then a CREEEEAAK and now the 'tree' is at 45 degrees, firmly wedged. Traffic has been completely stopped in both directions.

It has now fallen to about 30 degrees

Somebody call a Civil Engineer! I can't think which is worse, the rising tide crushing it against the bridge more, or the possibility of it getting swept under when the tide drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How bad is the traffic?

Inbound on the Condell Road is closed, I reckon everything is being diverted up to the Ennis Road, maybe even from the Coonagh Roundabout if they want to keep traffic off the minor roads. Outbound is open but it's starting to stack on the bridge. Cant see the Dock Road or the Quay but I reckon it's getting heavy. There's a big recovery vehicle there now and a Fireman up the tree so I reckon they might try to stand it up again. That cantilever action could put a lot of pressure on the bridge though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ah ffs,Im finishing work in 20 minutes,.How am I going to get from Castletroy to O'Callaghan Strand?

Here is what it looks like now

Image9501.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

IMGP8034.JPG

IMGP8080.JPG

More Photos on My Blog - blog.munsterbusiness.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Christmas canceled. :D

spa0486.jpg

spa0487.jpg

spa0488.jpg

20 min ago.

spa0489a.jpg

spa0490.jpg

spa0491r.jpg

spa0492d.jpg

spa0494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

What's the story this morning with it?

slinky2000 wrote: »
    What's the story this morning with it?

10 min ago

spa0507.jpg

spa0508.jpg

spa0509.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I like to know what the hell were the council were thinking when they put that into the river when we were receiving the worst weather we have had this year.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Damn I missed this thread. I've not been keeping up!
    I did not even know this Iron Tree like thing even existed.

Needed to goto Shannon today and on the way back on the bus traffic was at a standstill for ages.
    I thought it was just the floods/weather Was wondering what was going on.

Rather strange idea. Putting a Tree into a river.

Anyone handy with Photoshop ?? This thread would be a great place to photoshop the tree into different locations!!
    The more ridiculous or bizzare the better!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Firefox10 wrote: »
    I like to know what the hell were the council were thinking when they put that into the river when we were receiving the worst weather we have had this year.:mad:

You mean the same same idiots who lost €44 million of our money to Uniform construction?
    How Tom Mackey (city idiot more like it ) isn't fired I don't know....they're worse than the other idiots in the dail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bullets wrote: »

One of the main reasons for the placement was to prevent vandals from getting at it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not a brain in their heads obviously.

They've been working on the tree all morning, cutting, grinding and testing lights so it looks like it will be fired up again soon. The pontoon was in a terrible state last time I saw it so hopefully it will be installed on solid ground this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bullets wrote: »

~B

I disagree! I thought it looked really well last year! It was different.

(only problem I had was that they left it there til March)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know someone that lived upstairs from Milano's and they said that it was a bit annoying as it was so bright at night!

The tree is an eye sore, a metal cone with bright blue neon lights. What were they thinking smoking when they thought of it for a Christmas tree.

As for putting it in tree in place this year it was just a comedy of errors, even the crew erecting the tree had their doubts about it.
    The tree was 30ft taller than last year and presumably a few tonnes heavier, we have had worst weather in years, Ardnachusha/Parteen weir let off water to make an extra strong current downstream and it seemed to me that the boat they were using was grossly under powered to tow the tree in the bad current.
    I watched them putting it in place there was two groups of four men on the footpath each group with a rope tied onto the floating pontoons. The boat they had was also tied on. It was pulled up to just outside Milano's and the current took it away.

I definately wont miss it

Didn't someone try to set light to the real tree when they used to have it outside pennys a few years ago. They used to keep nicking the stuff off the tree too.:rolleyes: Having a metal tree in the river would be more difficult to get at so i can see their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They have a tree outside Penneys this year too if i am not mistaken

Correct, I wonder how long it will be before scobes/drunken college students start pulling it to bits.

Christmas is coming. :)

spa0534o.jpg

spa0535.jpg

spa0537.jpg

spa0538.jpg

spa0539s.jpg

spa0540g.jpg

spa0541.jpg

spa0542q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

nice pics

Your a great man with the cam Stan.:D:D

Your a great man with the cam Stan.:D:D

Thank You! :p

In December, buying a new super camera. Photos will be better quality. :)

And today, just from the "phone". :D I think " Christmas Is Coming...."! It will be a Christmas tree!!!;) What a surprise....

spa0543r.jpg

spa0544.jpg

Cheers.

Stan, the man, with cam. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

so who has there tree up ?:P

Advertisement