Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyway of getting the stn?? Nearly certain one was circling

FR103 came in just before the Stobart at 10:15. Wasn’t circling. This debate or whatever you want to call it isn’t going anywhere, could be here all night humming and hawing but facts are facts and you can’t argue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

Checked the system there Edinburgh was late going out due to airport operations that day

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

tv221 wrote: »
    I love all these people complaining about what is essentially with all Omni flights passengers landing to use toilets, stretch their legs, buy a pint or a coke. Ah their soldiers you say. True. And yes there probably is rifles in the hold.

But as they represent the American state. I'm sure none of those moaning would visit such a place to visit friends or holiday. And all that money Sinn Fein collect from people over there whom have no issue with what America does around the world and has been since Korea in the 50's.

None of you will be taking any of 139 euro flights over this Autumn in a show of solidarity to the innocent killed around the world. Completely different thing you'll say. Emm whatever helps your hypocritical conscience sleep at night.

Some of you even travel to mid east countries with horrific human rights issues without any thought.

Shannon is just a place were people transit.

Sinn Fein gettin money from America was wrong. So that does not make it ok to support American adventurism abroad. Conor dying in Omagh should be no more important than Abdul dying in kabul from American bombs.

What your argument is that Shannon is de facto a US military refueling base . If they refuel elsewhere the base will close. No wonder the airport is struggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

LXFlyer wrote: »
    An aircraft of any airline could have an incident that required the emergency procedures to kick in and the runway being closed.

It is certainly not unique to the military flights.
    I'm sure it's not unique. But is there any issue over whether the incident needed special handling because it was a military flight, posing additional risks?

I just don't know if many civilian airports would have a substantial volume of military flights. But, presumably, there is some level of risk attached from troops and their personal weapons passing through - even the risk of the airport being targeted by terrorists.

I do appreciate people will be sensitive if they feel their jobs are directly impacted. At the same time, that's not a sustainable outlook. If someone says "I get a job out of it, and feck everyone else", its actually a rather precarious position to take. Because the usual response to "feck everyone else" is "feck you, too".

The jobs line is frequently taken as a conversation stopper. Yet, it may stop a conversation that needs to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Balf wrote: »
    I just don't know if many civilian airports would have a substantial volume of military flights. But, presumably, there is some level of risk attached from troops and their personal weapons passing through - even the risk of the airport being targeted by terrorists.

Nuremburg, Belfast Int, Prestwick, Hahn and Chania are a few in Europe off the top of my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Balf wrote: »
    I'm sure it's not unique. But is there any issue over whether the incident needed special handling because it was a military flight, posing additional risks?

I do appreciate people will be sensitive if they feel their jobs are directly impacted. At the same time, that's not a sustainable outlook. If someone says "I get a job out of it, and feck everyone else", its actually a rather precarious position to take. Because the usual response to "feck everyone else" is "feck you, too".

The jobs line is frequently taken as a conversation stopper. Yet, it may stop a conversation that needs to be had.

You have to have flights 1st for terrorists to strike the place & the summer season will be over one of the days so that means all the american flights will be gradually ceasing till the start of nxt year. so that means the place will be very quiet. The goverment only cares about Dublin so that leaves the Shannon on its own. it has to make money some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO statistics for April are out.

488316.png

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

Why is Aer Lingus Boston down so much?

Has frequency of route reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tiernster7 wrote: »

Only ran half of April this year, was year round last year.

Tiernster7 wrote: »

They only care about dublin.So anytime there is a prob with the plane in Dublin.They use the shannon plane & cancel the flight & or bus them up to dublin.

• Advertisement

They only care about dublin.So anytime there is a prob with the plane in Dublin.They use the shannon plane & cancel the flight & or bus them up to dublin.

No, that's not what happened.

Less of the hype, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »

It is usually what happens though in fairness.

It is usually what happens though in fairness.

It does happen on occasion, however it's absolutely nothing to do with the numbers and simply using it as a stick to beat Aer Lingus every single time anything comes up is pedantic.

This thread is becoming as gloomy and depressing as the cork thread was a few years ago.

Thats the truth about not caring about shannon. Something like that anyway when the plane Breaks but they are supposed to be getting a few new planes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Is Boston year round again? It says so on the Shannon winter schedule, but there are a few inaccuracies there in the past. Bristol also showing as year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It does happen on occasion, however it's absolutely nothing to do with the numbers and simply using it as a stick to beat Aer Lingus every single time anything comes up is pedantic.

This thread is becoming as gloomy and depressing as the cork thread was a few years ago.

It happens a lot and it's very annoying for passengers. Id love to know why Dublin passengers aren't bused to Shannon to the working aircraft.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's sad to see Shannon struggling year after year.

Is there a case to just give it to O'Leary and let him use it as a hub for his long haul plans?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

mdmix wrote: »
    Is Boston year round again? It says so on the Shannon winter schedule, but there are a few inaccuracies there in the past. Bristol also showing as year round.
    Boston is running year round this year, JFK back to seasonal.

Is there a case to just give it to O'Leary and let him use it as a hub for his long haul plans?

No.

Also, longhaul planes?

Never work out Look @ norwegian & how their long haul worked out. They were losing money long before the 787max issues that was just the final nail in coffinfor them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Ryanair don’t have any long haul plans, and if they did, it would be via Dublin where an established route network exists for connecting flights to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

No.

Also, longhaul planes?

Max whenever they arrive
    mdmix wrote: »
    Ryanair don’t have any long haul plans, and if they did, it would be via Dublin where an established route network exists for connecting flights to Europe.

Ryanair don't do connections

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Max whenever they arrive

They were in discussions with EI at one point to feed into/out of their transatlantic services in Dublin, which is what the other poster is referring to.

Yes they do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No.

Also, longhaul planes?

Plans not planes (at least not yet).

Plans not planes (at least not yet).

Ah, I read that wrong.

I'm not sure there's any actual or realistic longhaul plans for Ryanair at the moment, and the recent 'departure' of Norwegian from this market doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for June are out.

Bristol is also now available for May because the first publication omitted them.

488570.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for June are out.

Bristol is also now available for May because the first publication omitted them.

488570.png

The change in flight time for the BHX-SNN flight seems to have slightly impacted the numbers. As someone who used to fly that route regularly, it no longer works for me with the earlier slot as getting to BHX is more difficult. The evening slot was given to Cork with Shannon taking Cork’s earlier flight slot. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

I see Delta DL32 Atlanta to Heathrow A330 diverted to Shannon this morning @ 09:30. On it's way to London now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I saw here take off....... wondered what was up ....

Advertisement