Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't think that it did.

So umm who is up for Balbriggan beers?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

Yes count me in for the balbriggan beers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

when suits people?

Did anyone go to the last ones?

weeknight or weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Week night for me.

A Wednesday?

• Advertisement

Good enough.
    Looks like it's just you & me.

lol

Maybe some people aren't logged in during the day!

I dunno the pubs so don't really mind where

Moonbeam wrote:
    lol

Maybe some people aren't logged in during the day!

I dunno the pubs so don't really mind where

Me neither. I do all my boozing in Skerries.
    Any pub where a Hills Man would be welcome & has good Guinness suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The last proposed beers fell apart, but I'd be up for having another go.

ok so how about next Wednesday in a pub in Balbriggan?;)

I have never been to a pub in Balbriggan before so someone else can propose a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

naughton wrote:
    Hey there, only place I could think of to ask this question is here, so here goes! I must be one of the more mature ladies that go to After Dark that Rockee refered to in a much earlier post (around page 5 or 6)!! Anyways, I have been there 2 or 3 times about two years ago and had a good laugh. Was thinking of bring a few friends (in their 30s) there some weekend seeing as they do play some retro stuff. Anyone have any idea which would be the best night for our agegroup!!! Smart comments more than welcome, once I get the facts!!!:D

Hey naughton,

I'm only 23 and any time I'm out in the Brig we end up in After Dark. It's far far better than Home. Either night is always good craic.

Saturdays can usually be a bit busier than Fridays but it ends up pretty full upstairs on both nights.

Best bet is to get down to O'Shea's before 12, have a drink there and then head upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Anyone know what's being built in the field to the north of the Tower Field (next door to the monkey bar's carpark)??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sirpsycho wrote:
    Anyone know what's being built in the field to the north of the Tower Field (next door to the monkey bar's carpark)??

I'm sure you mean west of the Tower Field as north of the Tower Field is Blackrock beach.

Anyhow it's a new club house for Balbriggan Town FC.
    ... new single storey clubhouse with pitched roof, consisting of 4 No. changing rooms, general meeting room, office and ancillary toilets and showers and 2.4m high Palisade perimeter fence on site....

The land is leased on a 99 year lease from Fingal County Council who aquired the land from the Cumisky estate many moons ago.

we'll settle on NW of the Tower Field so? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

sirpsycho wrote:

Isnt that the location planned for the seal sanctuary

Green Party Leader, Trevor Sargent TD, has warmly welcomed the announcement by Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, Mr. John O'Donoghue TD of €2,000,000 towards the construction of the first ever Marine Conservation Centre in Ireland.

Mr Sargent said today, " Every other coastal EU member state has such a vital marine facility. Ireland instead has depended for decades on the tireless work and expertise of volunteers in the Irish Seal Sanctuary whenever marine wildlife was found injured or orphaned around our coast. This announcement hopefully marks the end of an era of State neglect of marine conservation."

" Marine Conservation Centres in Portferry in the North and elsewhere are famous, not only for their excellent conservation but also as tourist attractions.”

Mr. Sargent said that the Balbriggan facility, which will include a playground and a coffee shop, is expected to attract 100,000 visitors per year and will also be a resource for the study of marine biology."

The Dublin North TD has also thanked Fingal County Council for their practical assistance in advancing the project and the fantastic site allocated for the new centre which includes a Martello Tower, a Bath House and old Boat House with slipway.

Isnt that the location planned for the seal sanctuary

No the seal sanctuary will be in the tower field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Save the Tower, f**k the seals! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Bluetonic wrote:

NO WAY!!! let me say that again NOOOO WAY!!! Where am I supposed to golf now? (the club maybe?)
    I grew up in the tower field on me BMX racing up and down the grass incline... happier times... climbing into the martello tower, and getting onto the roof of the old boathouse. Sure I even rememeber jumping off the old diving board. next they'll be getting rid of the band stand... Sir Sycho, remember your lucky number 7 got robbed and thrown into the sea by some animal of a lad. In fairness you did strike a 7 iron shot at his missus. lucky to come away with your life that day... And what about the old monastory? grew up in their playing 'man hunt'. Nobody really ever died or was seriously injured. not like today. 17 year olds today get into cars and do 100mph without seatbelts into walls. I think it was safer letting us climb on buildings.
    Tis tough out there. no doubt. :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote:
    ?

How big is the Tower field?

For your info Blue

The centre will be located on a 7-acre coastal site at balbriggan in Co. Dublin.

http://www.irishsealsanctuary.ie/html/home/mcc.htm

?

For your info Blue

The centre will be located on a 7-acre coastal site at balbriggan in Co. Dublin.

When did you become so finicky? The main building will be in The Tower Field along with the old boat house and Martello Tower these will be the main buildings of the scantuary.

If I could reproduce the site plans I have seen I would. 7-acres is over stated, they are obviously including the areas they will have where the diving board used to be along with the car parking that currently exists, plus their coach park.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    When did you become so finicky? .

Sorry brother,, could have been less finicky, but I was just of the impression based on these publications by the irish Seal sanctuary and some local press that it was going to be a rather big development.

Im not really the seal saving type anyhow, bit of a harbour rat at heart, do you know how much fish per animal per day them mother f ers eat, and did you notice the drastic reduction in mackeral that make it to the harbour everyyear,

100gsoma, aye I remember that shot! I didnt aim for yer wan...i swear!... they just happened to be sitting in the vacinity where i was landing my golf ball :)

cant believe they are gonna wreck the tower field. where will all the kids play? every evening during the summer that field was packed with kids playing sports.

?

For your info Blue

great link Meditraitor. looks like we wont be able to drive right up to the cliffs near the tower any longer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Any chance of directions/general idea of where the sorting office is in Balbriggan?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

On the inner relief road(town bypass) If you are driving from the graveyard(the Naul Rd) towards the church, it is on your left. its in a small industrial estate - the first one you come to. Clear as mud I know but it gives you the gist I hope !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Ah cheers, think know where you mean -- now to collect a armful of bills...

Planning permission has been applied fora gym, pool etc.., along with retail at the old Tayto storage facility.

All those in Balbriggan north-west (new Balbriggan/Legoland/etc..,) may find a bit of interest here.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlanLocalAreaPlansZoning/LocalAreaPlans/LocalAreaPlans2005Plan/BalbrigganNorthLAP/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

There goes the neighbourhood. Everytime I see a new plan, I fondly remember many days spent running through all those fields as a kid, playing in the hay and sitting on the old back wall of my house with my mates, picking a distant tree and going on an adventure cross country through hedges and ditches and small woods til we made it.

Well done town council, you bunch of retarded muppets, someone should have given you all a copy of Sim city before you signed off on these and indeed the original LAP plans. Hope you choke on your chains of office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Ah for fcuks sake - will you just leave a bit of greenery somewhere in this poxy town. Jaaaaaaaysus!!!!!!!!

Just looking at those plans for the seal sanctuary made me even more depressed and angry than I already am at the willful neglect of this town by council.
    It's become a complete kip.

Advertisement