Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loyalist flag protesters to target Oireachtas tricolour in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

anyone know any loyalists personally?

No but I do have family (some of whom would be considered "unionist"). Most of them left that behind when they left NI.

I have interviewed a few prominent unionists and a former loyalist who did time & found them to be reasonable and polite, despite my not agreeing with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

These loyalist arseholes are not pissed off that the flag was taken down. They're angry that it was voted down. They are soon to be a minority in the North and that is something they just can't stomach. They were happy to go along with majority consensus when the ball always bounced their way back in the 70's and 80's but when natural demographic (and consequently democratic) shifts started to go against them they're all up in arms about betrayal or some sh!t.
    Catholics and Nationalists didn't take to the streets hurling rocks at the RUC or the Gardai when the Republic gave up its territorial claim on the North to appease these petulant little dickheads but when they have to make a concession they sling their rattle out of the pram.

Fucking babies
    The "other side" take to the street at the drop of a hat also, do you think only loyalists can be petulant dickheads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What they are p1ssed off about is the fact their superiority has been questioned. They are just fascists who are not open to compromise, the no flags or both flags suggestion does not wash with them, its the Union flag 24\7 mentality that they want, thats their only compromise.

Some of the attitudes in this thread are as bad as the idiots blocking the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Just a quick question. What happens if the flag is restored to flying all year round?

Will nationalists take to the streets? Will democracy mean nothing?

Unionists are upset I get that. However, they need to look at the bigger picture here. More and more of them are alienating Catholics that would rather be in the union then drawing them in.

Northern Ireland once again has a terrible image put to it. Many unionist towns are now covered in more union flags then ever before which separates more and more nationalist and unionist communities.

What they hope to gain coming down to Dublin is just moronic. I hope that we as a nation don't bite and let it pass peacefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So is this protest about the Tricolour in Dublin actually going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

They're about to discuss this after the break on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

iDave wrote: »
    So is this protest about the Tricolour in Dublin actually going ahead?

Jan 12th.

they're sticking it to us big time with that date. Jan/June, sounds similar, and of course the 12th. Goes without saying.
    Can't see that flag staying up.

Release the knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Leftist wrote: »
    Jan 12th.

they're sticking it to us big time with that date. Jan/June, sounds similar, and of course the 12th. Goes without saying.
    Can't see that flag staying up.

Release the knackers.

not what Failte Ireland where hoping for when it comes to The Gathering.

On a serious note I've never attended a protest in my life but I'd seriously consider joining any (peaceful) counter protests to this. Loyalist apartheid has had its day and they need to be told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

gallag wrote: »
    The "other side" take to the street at the drop of a hat also, do you think only loyalists can be petulant dickheads?

The 'other side' have every right to have their identities represented too. Are they out wrecking the process because the tri-colour isn't up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

iDave wrote: »
    not what Failte Ireland where hoping for when it comes to The Gathering.

On a serious note I've never attended a protest in my life but I'd seriously consider joining any (peaceful) counter protests to this. Loyalist apartheid has had its day and they need to be told

there won't be peaceful protests. The best peaceful protest would be to ignore it. These people belong in a different time and not in the ROI. The greatest message would be to shrug it off. They would spotaneously combust, reacting to them would self-legitimise their fears and rhetoric.

But the knackers will turn up so just let them rip them apart. Just ring them in at merrion sq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wonder will the Unions and left leaning students organise a counter protest. They would be very quick to counter protest at a homegrown right wing march but do a disappearing act when the northern rightwingers come down to Dublin just like in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Leftist wrote: »
    Jan 12th.

You mean July.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dontforget on the very same day sinn fein voted to keep a play park named after an ira terriost that killed iinnocent Protestant workers in kings mill bakery, they do not care about creating an environment where all feel comfortable at all.

Never knew ould raymond mcreesh was convicted of the kingsmill massacre. Ya lives and learns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

For me and every single unionist I have talked to, the consensus is it would be nice to get it back up democratically, it would also be nice if the idiots blocking our roads would **** off. There is a felling this was an attack on our community, the timing was poor and it is hard to call it democracy when the smallest party had the say in what happend, its not like the alliance party were voted in on the manifesto of removing the flag, and when the people call for an actual ballot box vote we are told its not important enough???

I get that many people will say "its just a flag" but there is a fear of sinn fein, it was not long ago that many in sinn fein were trying to kill us now the first time they get a hint of a majority they do this. Dontforget on the very same day sinn fein voted to keep a play park named after an ira terriost that killed iinnocent Protestant workers in kings mill bakery, they do not care about creating an environment where all feel comfortable at all.

Kingsmill bakery??? seriously ?? or were u baked when you wrote that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Bambi wrote: »
    Never knew ould raymond mcreesh was convicted of the kingsmill massacre. Ya lives and learns

thats cos he wasnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Well lads, it's official wee Willy will be coming down on Saturday 12th January according to RTE Aertel.

PS I just checked and the Tricolour won't be flying that day as it only flys when either the Dail or Seanad is in session. The fúking retards will probably claim the lack of a Tricolour is a victory for them!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland
    It is the normal practice to fly the national flag daily at all military posts and from a limited number of important State buildings. The European flag is flown alongside the national flag on all official buildings, and in most places where the Irish flag is flown over buildings. The national flag is flown over buildings including: the residence of the President of Ireland, Áras an Uachtaráin; Leinster House, the seat of the Irish parliament, when parliament is in session; Irish courts and state buildings; Irish military installations, at home and abroad; and Garda Síochána (police) stations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

There is a felling this was an attack on our community, the timing was poor and it is hard to call it democracy when the smallest party had the say in what happend, its not like the alliance party were voted in on the manifesto of removing the flag, and when the people call for an actual ballot box vote we are told its not important enough???

Every councillor had a say in it, not just the Alliance ones, every single one of them and the majority voted to remove it. What would you call that if not democracy. it seems democracy is only democracy to unionism when theyre getting what they want.
    I get that many people will say "its just a flag" but there is a fear of sinn fein, it was not long ago that many in sinn fein were trying to kill us now the first time they get a hint of a majority they do this.

Republican party in republican aims shocker. Turn that on it's head, unionists have been in power since partition and insisted on flying the flag 365 days a year. Nationalists were willing to compromise their beliefs for the common good. I know who I'd rather have in charge.
    Dontforget on the very same day sinn fein voted to keep a play park named after an ira terriost that killed iinnocent Protestant workers in kings mill bakery, they do not care about creating an environment where all feel comfortable at all.

So much wrong here I'm not sure where to begin. Firstly that park was named after Ray McCreesh in 2001 and it wasnt Sinn Fein who voted for it, it was the vast majority of residents of the area in a consultation. Secondly, the night you're referring to was not a vote to keep the name of the park. It was a vote on wether or not to accept the findings of an Equality Committee report on the park that recommended, among other things, keeping the name.
    Thirdly, even if it was just a vote on the park, Sinn Fein does not have a big enough majority on Newry and Mourne Council to push this through. The SDLP and all independents voted in favour of it.
    Fourthly, Kingsmill bakery? *sigh*
    Fifth, Raymond McCreesh was never convicted of Kingsmill, it's never even been suggested, except by nut cases like Frazer, that he was involved. A gun he was holding months later was linked to it. IRA volunteers did not keep their individual weapons, they were used by many volunteers in many operations.

Truth is unionists couldnt give a shit what a park in Newry is called. They were jsut delighted to have something, anything to pull out of the bag when journalists asked them why they felt attempting to burn cops to death was the best way top get the flag back up.

This is the new (more) democratic Ireland that you're living in. It's not perfect but it's getting there. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Slightly off topic....

But when they were butchering the Island, how did the UK get Fermanagh? I mean it's pretty far out, sparsely populated and offers nothing to the union :confused:

Every councillor had a say in it, not just the Alliance ones, every single one of them and the majority voted to remove it. What would you call that if not democracy. it seems democracy is only democracy to unionism when theyre getting what they want.

Republican party in republican aims shocker. Turn that on it's head, unionists have been in power since partition and insisted on flying the flag 365 days a year. Nationalists were willing to compromise their beliefs for the common good. I know who I'd rather have in charge.

So much wrong here I'm not sure where to begin. Firstly that park was named after Ray McCreesh in 2001 and it wasnt Sinn Fein who voted for it, it was the vast majority of residents of the area in a consultation. Secondly, the night you're referring to was not a vote to keep the name of the park. It was a vote on wether or not to accept the findings of an Equality Committee report on the park that recommended, among other things, keeping the name.
    Thirdly, even if it was just a vote on the park, Sinn Fein does not have a big enough majority on Newry and Mourne Council to push this through. The SDLP and all independents voted in favour of it.
    Fourthly, Kingsmill bakery? *sigh*
    Fifth, Raymond McCreesh was never convicted of Kingsmill, it's never even been suggested, except by nut cases like Frazer, that he was involved. A gun he was holding months later was linked to it. IRA volunteers did not keep their individual weapons, they were used by many volunteers in many operations.

Truth is unionists couldnt give a shit what a park in Newry is called. They were jsut delighted to have something, anything to pull out of the bag when journalists asked them why they felt attempting to burn cops to death was the best way top get the flag back up.

This is the new (more) democratic Ireland that you're living in. It's not perfect but it's getting there. Deal with it.
    Ahh, so he just had the gun that killed them, seems reasonable, I can see why only fringe loyalist nut jobs would link him to the murders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

darragh16 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic....

But when they were butchering the Island, how did the UK get Fermanagh? I mean it's pretty far out, sparsely populated and offers nothing to the union :confused:

Like how they got the other five.

Through the threat of total war.

Never mind what the people voted for. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Slightly off topic....

Hope this helps. Interesting times.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Commission_%28Ireland%29#Imperial_debt

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Slightly off topic....

It was originally supposed to be Antrim, Down and Armagh but it was then thought that such a small area with such a small population wouldn't be viable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Ahh, so he just had the gun that killed them, seems reasonable, I can see why only fringe loyalist nut jobs would link him to the murders.

Any response to Crooked Jack's point about democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

anyone know any loyalists personally?

My granda was a protestant, and i went to a mixed school, so I've got quite a few friends and family that would be loyalists. A few of them are actually quite vocal about the whole situation (On facebook anyway !) but they're the typical Orange order kind so its nothing new... the rest aren't entirely fussed, most want the flag back up but don't support the whole protesting debacle.

That's all that you took from that whole post?
    Actually that says more about the state and mindset of unionism than anything you could have written. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

So why are they marching in Dublin. It is a local issue that they can sort out themselves surely. Dublin did not make the decision RE: the union flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's all that you took from that whole post?
    Actually that says more about the state and mindset of unionism than anything you could have written. thanks.

Never mind that the armed forces of hor mayjastys gowvermant were putting on their UVF hat's on and murdering taigs..yet somehow the taigs built a bridge and are now accepting said government.

So why are they marching in Dublin. It is a local issue that they can sort out themselves surely. Dublin did not make the decision RE: the union flag.

In yesterday's Belfast Telegraph in an interview with Frazer (page 6, well worth reading if you fancy a laugh/facepalm) he says "The tricolour on Leinster House is only one issue. I wouldn't really expect them to remove it and as a matter of fact I would be quite offended at the suggestion if I was them."

So this whole thing really is just about causing as much trouble, aggravation and inconvenience as possible. Not that that was ever in doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In yesterday's Belfast Telegraph in an interview with Frazer (page 6, well worth reading if you fancy a laugh/facepalm) he says "The tricolour on Leinster House is only one issue. I wouldn't really expect them to remove it and as a matter of fact I would be quite offended at the suggestion if I was them."

So this whole thing really is just about causing as much trouble, aggravation and inconvenience as possible. Not that that was ever in doubt
    They're pissed off. Is it any wonder? For years nationalists have been telling them they wouldn't abuse their majority if they had it and now this happens. Says a lot about the so called protection loyalists can expect in a UI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement