Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Argentina build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I hope the teams left in the competition are as dismissive of us as the pundits. We have a serious chance of a final appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

donfers wrote: »
    There's no doubt that the Irish performance against France has been grossly underappreciated by the international press - make no mistake France were well up for that game but we ground them down - the second half performance in particular was almost robotic in terms of its precision and relentlessness

I know this might sound odd considering my previous rant, but we need to bring the same intensity on Sunday or the France performance will be quickly forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

fitz wrote: »
    I was at the game on Sunday, and the sheer level of the noise in the stadium was unlike anything I've ever encountered. Even more so than the game against Australia at the the 2011 WC and that game against NZ which never happened...I couldn't believe the volume.

I was there for the H Cup final between Saracens and Toulon and even that was loud, considering the teams involved. The thought of hearing SUFTUM in there went through my mind as that was supposed 'our year' haha.

The atmosphere created in the Millenium Stadium further adds to my hate of that pathetic excuse for a stadium that is the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

the reality is that the supporters from other countries and pundits were always going to turn against us, it's a reflection of how good we have become and that their own superioty over us no longer exists, they were happy for us to have the occassional win here and there but now we've upset the status quo they want to criticise us.

I think if england were still in the tournament the english pundits would still be singing our praises it's almost like with their own team gone they need to have a go at someone else, it's called deflecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I was there for the H Cup final between Saracens and Toulon and even that was loud, considering the teams involved. The thought of hearing SUFTUM in there went through my mind as that was supposed 'our year' haha.

The atmosphere created in the Millenium Stadium further adds to my hate of that pathetic excuse for a stadium that is the Aviva.

You clearly haven't been in the Aviva when it's been loud. The atmosphere can be brilliant there, but it just can't compete with the Millenium with the roof closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

rrpc wrote: »
    You clearly haven't been in the Aviva when it's been loud. The atmosphere can be brilliant there, but it just can't compete with the Millenium with the roof closed.

6 days ago for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I feel nervous as if it's 2 hours to kick off rather than 4 days. At least the citing took the mind off the game :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Gamb!t wrote: »
    At least we didnt get Wayne Barnes !

but if we lose we'll have no scapegoat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I feel nervous as if it's 2 hours to kick off rather than 4 days. At least the citing took the mind off the game :/

Imagine what it's like being surrounded by Argentines !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

donfers wrote: »
    There's no doubt that the Irish performance against France has been grossly underappreciated by the international press - make no mistake France were well up for that game but we ground them down - the second half performance in particular was almost robotic in terms of its precision and relentlessness

The French may have been up with it, but unfortunately are very poor. Not a patch on French teams of the past, and are lacking players of the level of talent they used to churn out.

I would say Ireland's win - impressive and fully deserved as it is - is being over-appreciated by far more than are under-appreciating it.

It was good - but it wasnt great.

• Advertisement

Like a Falklander ?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Is there any word in the Argentine press or anything about how they are viewing the game? Has their management said much about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It was good - but it wasnt great.

Given all that happened in the first half , it was great , Heroic even

thebaz wrote: »
    Given all that happened in the first half , it was great , Heroic even

It was grit, desire, very hard work, and sacrifice for the cause. And sure, exciting, and satisfying to be really putting the French to the sword for the first time ever. Sure, great times compared to the past. All very commendable and well meriting the win. So you feel it should be a great performance to beat them. But in truth, it wasnt fantastic rugby, against a team that did not have much to offer in counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It was grit, desire, very hard work, and sacrifice for the cause. And sure, exciting, and satisfying to be really putting the French to the sword for the first time ever. Sure, great times compared to the past. All very commendable and well meriting the win. So you feel it should be a great performance to beat them. But in truth, it wasnt fantastic rugby, against a team that did not have much to offer in counter.

given the carnage of the first half, it was a magnificent win - When I saw POC stretchered off I could only see one winner - but Ireland response was epic - but, if we don't beat Argentina, it will count for little, and be remembered as another average-ish WC valiant effort - knockout rugby / winner takes all

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Sooo... "grit, desire, very hard work, sacrifice for the cause, exciting, satisfying...putting the French to the sword... very commendable... meriting the win...", that doesnt make for fantastic rugby?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

It was astounding fantastic rugby. Good rugby isn't just running in tries from all over the pitch.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Sooo... "grit, desire, very hard work, sacrifice for the cause, exciting, satisfying...putting the French to the sword... very commendable... meriting the win...", that doesnt make for fantastic rugby?

:confused:

No.
    It makes for grit, desire, very hard work, sacrifice for the cause, excitement, and satisfaction.

It was astounding fantastic rugby.
    To be that, it has to be against sufficiently testing opposition to merit the description. France was not that.

if Ryan plays i hope he does so with controlled aggression, if my memory is correct he has lost it a few times in games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

To be that, it has to be against sufficiently testing opposition to merit the description. France was not that.

Only because we didn't allow them. They were well capable of beating us.

it was a good 1st half performamce but a great 2nd half performance

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just realised I've never been to a game against Argentina, what are the fans like?

pc7 wrote: »
    Just realised I've never been to a game against Argentina, what are the fans like?

well there's a small fat one who you might recognise, apart from him they seem like a lively set of fans. we're not bad either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

typhoony wrote: »
    well there's a small fat one who you might recognise, apart from him they seem like a lively set of fans. we're not bad either

Lol yeah seen him in their dressing room alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

I remember the French were supposedly a good team a week ago. I kept seeing the phrase on form and had worked together. They were going to beat us. Of course bow that we beat them it was because they were. Even if we win the damn thing it will be put down to every other team having bad days.

There also isn't a talent shortage in France. PSA is just not very good at his job and it looks that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Noisewise like their football fans but they behave themselves, will boo the living ****e out of everything. Respect for kickers is not a thing, which is fine by me. But great fun mostly, just watch back to the all blacks match, they had wembley hopping.
    They are a breathe of fresh air compared to a normal rugby crowd to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Lol yeah seen him in their dressing room alright.

How did you get into their dressing room ? And why do they have a dressing room ? It doesn't sound very 'rugby' .........

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

they looked pretty testing to me, it was hardly a cake walk now was it?

I suppose there are some people who can simply never be satisfied and equally can't appreciate excellence when they see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We need atleast one 13 man line out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement