Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterpiece: Ireland's Favourite Painting - 17/04/12 - RTE 1 @ 10:15pm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Ah yes, the lads in Donnybrook with their fingers on the pulse of the nation once again.

I vote for Constable's "The Haywain", of course mentions must go to Jack F Kennedy and 'The Pope', although, maybe we should just give it to the most popular and prevalent painting/print in the country (and to my shame, I have no idea who painted it in the first place) - The Sacred Heart;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Thanks for that MrsD007 - Enjoyed looking at those!.....I'll be going for the stained glass windows myself....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks for that MrsD007 - Enjoyed looking at those!.....I'll be going for the stained glass windows myself....:)
    I've added a poll so that Boardsies can have their say :)

Vote No. 1 cast....!!!.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This seems interesting, it's just a shame RTE are giving it such a poor slot, it's too late. As usual they are afraid to take a risk and put it on earlier like all (or few) of their cultural shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Personally, it would be anything by Renoir or Chagall.

Favourite painting that ever fetched up in Ireland
    would be a more apt title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Ah yes, the lads in Donnybrook with their fingers on the pulse of the nation once again.

I vote for Constable's "The Haywain", of course mentions must go to Jack F Kennedy and 'The Pope', although, maybe we should just give it to the most popular and prevalent painting/print in the country (and to my shame, I have no idea who painted it in the first place) - The Sacred Heart;)

Don't be ashamed :), from extensive Google searches it's probably by "leading religious artist Simeone" but otherwise I haven't been able to find out anything else about him/her/them?

http://www.amazon.com/Simeone-Framed-Art-16-20/dp/B003CUQP40

The version found in many Irish homes was supplied by NG Basevi

Don't forget the little red light underneath!...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I do like the look of Harry Clarke's 'the Eve of St Agnes' (the stained glass window). I might go into to have a look at it in person in the Hugh Lane Gallery, it is not really best viewed via a Computer screen.

You can't fault young Caravaggio either, to be fair. He has to be a contender, but it would be nice to see an Irish artist win. :)

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the long list (100 nominations).

http://www.rte.ie/tv/masterpiece/shortlist100.html

Here is a little bit of info on the judges.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/masterpiece/judges.html

• Advertisement

Mike Murphy will be a guest on George Hook's programme on Newstalk at 6pm, talking about this show

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/michael-oleary-joins-george-on-the-right-hook/
    Mike Murphy will also be popping in to tell George about his search for Ireland’s Favourite Painting and why he doesn’t expect a second chance with Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They should have included Robert O'Byrne's accent in the list - a masterpeice of affectation!

coylemj wrote: »
    They should have included Robert O'Byrne's accent in the list - a masterpeice of affectation!
    I haven't seen him on TV in a very long time, I remember he used to be a regular contributor to RTE's Head 2 Toe fashion programme. (It used to be presented by Barbara McMahon and Pat O'Mahoney).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He used to be a journo in the Irish Times, then he drifted into writing columns and books on fluffy topics like manners and etiquette, now he's an art critic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Can I just state that I voted but I have no idea about art.. I only voted cos the OP (who shall remain nameless) bullied me over pm into voting on the poll. :(

Can I just state that I voted but I have no idea about art.. I only voted cos the OP (who shall remain nameless) bullied me over pm into voting on the poll. :(
    Jonny, I'm in a state of shock here :eek::eek::eek: I might have to "unfriend" you if you continue making scurrilous claims :mad::D
    coylemj wrote: »
    He used to be a journo in the Irish Times, then he drifted into writing columns and books on fluffy topics like manners and etiquette, now he's an art critic!

Oh dear, I own a copy of his book Mind your Manners :o

Are we talking about that guy with the blond hair (bad perm) who, if i remember correctly, told us on radio how to behave quote "etiquette"and how to eat (in the correct order) with imagine! knives and forks on a table......

I'd rather eat the stained glass windows.........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Paddy Power have opened a book on this:

A Connemara Village....................5/2
    The Taking of Christ....................7/2
    Communicating with Prisoners.......9/2
    Lady Writing a Letter..................11/2
    The Artist's Studio ....................13/2
    A Convent Garden, Brittany..........8/1
    The Eve of Saint Agnes...............9/1
    The Meeting on the Turret Stairs...9/1
    A Family..................................14/1
    Wall of Light Orange Yellow.........20/1

I've had a bet on A Connemara Village as the audience on The Saturday Night Show voted it as their number one. Even though it's not much more than a chocolate box picture, if the audience on the SNS are indicative of the rest of the country's tastes, it's worth a bet.

Robert O'Byrne was a guest on Podge And Rodge one night and they royally took the p!ss out of him. :D

Robert O'Bryne was a guest on Podge And Rodge one night and they royally took the p!ss out of him. :D

HA...So now I know who I'm talking about...Take the pee and spit him out in "shards" (thinks of windows)..........This guy is seriously involved with this?...

Laughing and crying simultaneously......:eek:

• Advertisement

HA...So now I know who I'm talking about...Take the pee and spit him out in "shards" (thinks of windows)..........This guy is seriously involved with this?...

Laughing and crying simultaneously......:eek:

The only thing is, Robert O'Byrne doesn't have blond hair. This is him:

FCP_1167portrait.jpg

HA....I'm sure he had.........more yellow than blond (meow..).......

It may have been his wild and wicked youth?....

So we this is what we are destined to define (our..) the greatest masterpiece?.....

Over to Podge and Rodge.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Glad to see two of the great daubers of the Art World both on 0% - Jack B.Yeats and Sean Scully. Although Yeat's work is more intelligible that most of his later overpriced rubbish. Scully's looks like a Junior Infants school project but then I did vote for Paul Henry - he of a thousand railway posters. :D

It's Art time, hurray !

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Why weren't the public alowed to pick the short list?

They had a hundred, and whittled it down to ten by some process.

Why couldn't they have opened the internet vote up on the hundred?

I remember going to Kilmainham G on a school tour........and we never wondered why.....:(

I went to Kilmainham Jail on my sixth class tour, they have a beautiful chapel in there. Grace Gifford and Joseph Mary Plunkett married in it.

Why weren't the public alowed to pick the short list?

They had a hundred, and whittled it down to ten by some process.

Why couldn't they have opened the internet vote up on the hundred?

Because we the public can't be trusted. ;)

You're not Bobby Ballagh in disguise, are you? ;):D

LOL :D Grey, I'm just after seeing your post!!! Great minds and all that :)

• Advertisement

Yeats had to explain that the Prisoners were Women, not Men.

At the risk of sounding naive, doesn't that mean he didn't paint them well enough (if no-one knew they were women?)

Advertisement