Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship on the Boards

Options
  • 10-10-2005 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Could one of the admin super persons take a look at the "shooting" forum where the two active moderators seem to have lost the run of themselves. One spends all his time engaged in debate so futile that he is annoying everybody and the other has banned me for trying to point this out in a gentle and humorous way. The ban is permanent and site wide so , needless to say, it was under another ID.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm just glad all you friendly chaps have guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Well creating a new account, rather than posting this in Prison, has just cemented your site-wide ban, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quis Custodiet

If you want to find out what I did to get banned follow this URL and play the short musical clip.
    http://www.wecollect2.com/sounds/SparkyPianoSample.MP3

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

QC, you were banned for posting several time under several different IDs, all of which were far from humerous posts, but were instead bad-minded efforts all trying to convey one message; namely, "shut up". You breached the charter; you were banned accordingly.

As to the charge, far from censorship, we've been bending over backwards, ignoring personal attacks on moderators and pretty fundamental breaches of the board Charter in order to let a senior member in the sport's administration put forward his position because it was felt to be important to get that matter out in the open in one place instead of cropping up a dozen times a week in unrelated threads. If you don't want to read that thread, just don't. You have to actively choose to read it.

What beautiful timing and what a perfect example! Listen to the musical link above and then look at the language in Sparks post. Do they seem in any way related? Not at all. Here we have the moderator from one board, following me over here to the feedback board and attempting to keep me quiet in a display of blatant verbal aggression. Please, please help, super admin persons.Free speech is at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Hi,

One of my multiple accounts has been site banned for having multiple accounts.

I would like to use one of my multiple accounts to complain about the fact that another one of my multiple has been site banned.

I am going to use a completely seperate issue altogether as a smokescreen, but have no doubt it's actually because I have multiple accounts.

I know that I am not allowed to have multiple accounts, but I still do so there.

Quis Custodiet.

P.S. I am silly
    eemmmm.....

no comment.

Maybe I did not make myself clear.The mutiple accounts were linear, not parrallel. The only way to get back on the board to question a banning is to create another account. I kept doing this and the mods kept banning me so I came to this forum as a higher court.None of the accounts existed simultaneously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

You don't have freedom of speech on boards.ie, nor do you have any of my interest in taking your word on an issue that you don't cite examples for.

PS, you are banned, please don't come back.

Er what is that a few posts above if not an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Banned again, take it to Prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I kept doing this and the mods kept banning me so I came to this forum as a higher court.
    Specifically I kept site-banning you. Four times if I remember correctly. Three of those bans were for creating accounts to evade an existing ban. The first was for being a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Some of these people wandering round with guns are rather worrying, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,941 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ecksor wrote:
    You don't have freedom of speech on boards.ie, nor do you have any of my interest in taking your word on an issue that you don't cite examples for.

PS, you are banned, please don't come back.

What exactly is meant here? Are you referring specifically to Q C or are you saying that free speech is not allowed generally

muffler wrote:
    What exactly is meant here? Are you referring specifically to Q C or are you saying that free speech is not allowed generally

Okay, maybe new users should be required to type "I acknolege I don't have free speech on boards" when signing up; would save this same question every week.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

muffler wrote:
    It's not that it's "not allowed", it just doesn't exist.

Boards.ie is a privately owned company, there is no such thing as "freedom of speech" within it's boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

@ rsynnotTrue - but they keep us entertained and offer an outlet for our built up angst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 De Profundis

If I understand correctly, what is being said here, by the owners(super moderators, etc.), is that this "benign dictatorship", as described by exsor, is their plaything. It is an imaginary universe where they can hide behind their avatars, disconnected from the real world(how many of you are academics or students?) and play god. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you continue to distinguish reality from the boards, but most of the posters here do not know this. They think you are offering a service. No doubt, the moderators are selected because they reflect the image of the founders. They are lesser gods in this pantheon of megalomania.This explains why moderators do not have to moderate when they can indulge their whims. I wonder how long you will leave this post before banning me and removing it or do you have the cajones to let the debate begin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

as you're a troll a/c
    8 mins...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If I understand correctly, blah blah blah blah conspiracy theory blah blah rant let the debate begin?

Sorry, I zoned out in the middle. I can't believe you weren't equipped with an off switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I understand correctly, what is being said here, by the owners(super moderators, etc.), is that this "benign dictatorship", as described by exsor, is their plaything. It is an imaginary universe where they can hide behind their avatars, disconnected from the real world(how many of you are academics or students?) and play god. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you continue to distinguish reality from the boards, but most of the posters here do not know this. They think you are offering a service. No doubt, the moderators are selected because they reflect the image of the founders. They are lesser gods in this pantheon of megalomania.This explains why moderators do not have to moderate when they can indulge their whims. I wonder how long you will leave this post before banning me and removing it or do you have the cajones to let the debate begin?

Ahhh! You know I agree with some of this (much of boards.ie is completely disconnected from Real Life) and yet laugh cos I've been mistaken for a mini-Ecksor! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Can't we go a fortnight without some sort of "fight the power" spastics parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Asok wrote:
    Can't we go a fortnight without some sort of "fight the power" spastics parade?
    Highly unlikely to be honest, I say unionise!

Only the shop stewards should be allowed to post on feedback :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

As yes, making assumptions about mods and passing them off as facts. Do whatever makes you happy but know that you are wrong. What proof do you have that *most* of the mods/posters engage is such behaviour? I think you'll find that no-one hides behind anything here and it is just you being paranoid and projecting this silly scenario of how moderators act to satisfy your own self-righteousness. And then the typical "I bet you won't leave this here and if you delete it it proves I am right" clause right at the end there. Proves what to who besides yourself exactly? There is no debate. You are allowed to post here under the restrictions set by the people who own the place, when you violate these terms, your right to post here is suspended. A right given freely and taken away just as freely. It works so well, but of course, you know how to run things better...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,941 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rsynnott wrote:
    Okay, maybe new users should be required to type "I acknolege I don't have free speech on boards" when signing up; would save this same question every week.
    Yeah, or how about "I obey oh mighty one"
    If you think the question is being asked too often then you should ignore it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

muffler wrote:

I didn't use the word "allow", that's not the point of it. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to this website. We can and do frequently censor / edit posts on the site for various reasons. The point is that those who claim that we shouldn't do it because it impedes their freedom of speech are mistaken in believing they had freedom of speech on here to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Muppet : " Help Help I am being oppressed, what about my freedom of speech!"

Squealch !!!!!

The Jackboot of love teaches muppet about freedom of speech on boards.ie :D

@ rsynnotTrue - but they keep us entertained and offer an outlet for our built up angst.

NOTHING will diminish my angst. NOTHING. [strike]I AM ZIM![/strike] This avatar is a bad influence.

And can we PLEASE make being terminally irritating a banning offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

No unions on my watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Even the Regi-bot has to have some daily shuteye downtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I'm currently writing a shell script to replicate thatcher's union crushing powers

Advertisement