Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 @ 7pm this Thursday 3rd Feb

Options
  • 02-02-2005 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Could be worth watching

"Ear to the Ground" on RTE 1 looks at

"Accessibility of of Guns"

Including Gun Ownership, who has them? and how do they get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gun Shy wrote:
    Could be worth watching
    "Ear to the Ground" on RTE 1 looks at
    "Accessibility of of Guns"
    Including Gun Ownership, who has them? and how do they get them?

Uh-oh. Has the NARGC or some other group been involved in this, or is it going to be like the unfortunate article in the Sunday Tribune after Frank Brophy's case that declared that we were about to have an inundation of "assault pistols" in the country?

The RTE's blurb for this programme:
    Guns
    This week on Ear to the Ground: Guns. Who has them? Why do they have them? How did they get them? And why does Minister McDowell want to change the law? Helen Carroll investigates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hmmm..!

Don't like the sound of this ..!

Although it will be interesting to see if they manage to pin down anyone to
    a statement .
    And why does Minister McDowell want to change the law?

I'd say we may be about to be lined up for some bashing , Does anyone know
    if any of our representative associations have been consulted in making the program... ?

I think in some cases there have grounds for a preview of the material to be transmitted ..and grounds for an injunction to prevent it's going to air if it may prejudice any future legal action any of us may care to take.

Seeing as how the current situation arose as the result of a court ruling ..and there may be more court proceedings to come if the DOJ decides to "pull the plug" on licences in the future .

But Hey ..! What would I know ?
    ..I'm just a simple country lad .!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Given this is a farming/agricultural based programme, this is far more likely to be about the new security requirement. This affects lots of farmers who have guns for crop/livestock protection - if you go into any farm suppliers these days, you'll see gun cabinets for sale. Farmers are genetically opposed to spending money, and many of them have been complaining about the fact that they'll no longer be able to store the single-barrel hammer action shotgun loaded behind the back door.

I'd be very surprised if this turns into a bogger version of "Bowling for Columbine" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Should be interesting, :o thanks for the heads-up Gun Shy.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if this turns into a bogger version of "Bowling for Columbine"

The point is that it Will be a surprise to all of us..
    Shouldn't it have been checked out ahead of time..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I don't see that we have any particular right to pre-screen / approve TV programmes that might affect us. We need to watch it like everyone else, then formulate a response if ned=cessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

http://www.rte.ie/tv/eartotheground/thisweek.html

Nice picture, holding a semi-auto in the middle of a public road... :eek:
    Feeling it's going to be one of those shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Things is happening!Yesterday on RTE Nationwide they had an article on buying guns at auctions.Rather expensive types too.english doubles and snider rifles.Presented by the one with the very plummy accent and her brother[in law?] who do the antiques segment.Intresting was that there was NO mention of the necessity of gun liscensing,gun laws etc.It just seemed you could stroll into a auction house bid 5K or thereabouts and stroll off with a Purdey!

But to answer Jaycees point about an injunction.Yes we can get a stoppage on transmission.BUT that means each and everyone of us needs to contact our repesentavie organisations like YESTERDAY or RIGHT NOW!!!!hope whoever we have in legal council can shift after lunch. Even so said organisations should give RTE a "heads up"that they are concerned about the content and WHO of the organisations were consulted in producing the article or allowed to preview the material?
    AND that they will be watching it with legal council to see is it factual,accurate and fair.That has been on one occasion enough to psyche RTE into pulling a programme.Might work.But I think it will be too late to do anything now.

In all fairness to ear to the ground,anytime they have tackled the fieldsports issue,and from the articles i have seen.they were fair to both sides pro and anti.The foxhunters got as much air time as the antis and in a very neutral commentary.
    They also did an article on deer shooting a few years ago,with no antis and it was a very unbaised article INMHO.
    Apart from the lads interviewed looking abit like sniper meets the deer hunter :D
    Rather have ear to the ground doing this than slimetime..er...primetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

It's funny that there has been very little in the media (if indeed nothing at all) in relation to the issues which are to be covered by the programme. So in essence this is coming out of the blue so to speak in the media forum.

The comment

"And why does Minister McDowell want to change the law?"

has me a little concerned because it leads me to believe that the DoJ will have been giving their input into a responce to that very question.

At 7.30pm. tonight, I feel that at least we will all have the benifit of getting their slant/gameplan on the firearms issue, something which Mick Mac has ducked and dived over the last few months (if memory serves me correctly he has been evasive over eyerything but secure storage)

I know that he said something akin to Target Shooters are not a threat etc and that other Admendments will be relating to issues highlighted by recent court cases, but all this is ducking and diving THERE HAS BEEN NO DEFINATE STATEMENTS

Hopefully "Ear to the Ground" will shed some light and RTE will keep their finger on the Pulse as opposed to the Picture in the RTE Guide where their finger is on the Trigger "TUT TUT TUT TUT"

Heres to hoping that RTE is not aiming at us!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Terrier wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/eartotheground/thisweek.html

Nice picture, holding a semi-auto in the middle of a public road... :eek:
    Feeling it's going to be one of those shows

FFS. Lets wait for the thousands of people who complain to RTE tommorow about guns and why are they legal the usual bullSh*t

Having watched it...!

Not too bad ..

A pity it didn't follow the interests of shooting range members,
    target shooters etc..

But all in all ..some good points were made and shooters came out
    looking pretty ok i thought ..

Phew...! :rolleyes:

Well, that was an excellent piece of work - if Des Crofton is reading this, well done sir, a good job well executed.
    I've recorded it to DVD, I'll see if I can isolate the few minutes of our stuff and put it up as a video file somewhere.
    Basicly, it focussed on farmers and sports shooters instead of target shooting, and only covered shotguns. Nice to see our point from the recent parlimentary question regarding the percentage of firearms used in crimes which were never licenceable coming up in public as well. Pistols and rifles never came up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Well done Des, I felt it was pro shooting!!!

FECK!!!!my $%^&CKS VCR didnt record it at all!!!! :mad:
    Ok, it seems that it was a good pro gun piece anyway!Would somone care to give me a quick jist of it?
    Lets see what the radio shows have to say in the morning and afternoon.we all know the old reliables on RTE and 2FM ;)

If it makes you feel any better, I've just found out that my dvd recorder doesn't think that channel #1 is RTE1 like the TV does, but BBC1 instead. So instead of a useful piece of recording, I've got eight minutes of eastenders.
    :(

Hopefully, there'll be a repeat and I can nab it then.

edit: Quick phone call to RTE and they say it will be repeated at 1315 on Sunday

Ok, it seems that it was a good pro gun piece anyway!Would somone care to give me a quick jist of it?
    200,000 legally held firearms in the country; most used as legal and necessary tools by farmers (interview with sheep farmer explaining same), some sports shooting at various game fowls and explanation of the seasons with much footage of shooting shotguns (there was nothing but shotgun footage in the piece). Interview with Des Crofton which was quite sane and balanced, and where some good points were made (the use of unlicenced and unlicencable firearms in crime instead of legally held ones, the lack of consultation with shooters), and some comments from the Minister where he explained that the use of the CJB to bring in an amendment was for expediency. More footage of game shooting, fini. No target shooting or pistols or rifles brought up, very farmer/hunter oriented, as you'd expect. A darn good piece I thought.

Cool!! :D
    thanks sparks.
    Sounds like it got a "safe&harmless"message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Sparks wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better, I've just found out that my dvd recorder doesn't think that channel #1 is RTE1 like the TV does, but BBC1 instead. So instead of a useful piece of recording, I've got eight minutes of eastenders.
    :(

Hopefully, there'll be a repeat and I can nab it then.

edit: Quick phone call to RTE and they say it will be repeated at 1315 on Sunday

200,000 legally held firearms in the country; most used as legal and necessary tools by farmers (interview with sheep farmer explaining same), some sports shooting at various game fowls and explanation of the seasons with much footage of shooting shotguns (there was nothing but shotgun footage in the piece). Interview with Des Crofton which was quite sane and balanced, and where some good points were made (the use of unlicenced and unlicencable firearms in crime instead of legally held ones, the lack of consultation with shooters), and some comments from the Minister where he explained that the use of the CJB to bring in an amendment was for expediency. More footage of game shooting, fini. No target shooting or pistols or rifles brought up, very farmer/hunter oriented, as you'd expect. A darn good piece I thought.
    Listen very carefully to Mcdowell on Sunday, if I heard him correctly, he will not be making amendments to the Firearms Act in the lifetime of this Government. Only the changes through the CJB as stated and possibly others at Committee stage. So much for all the talk about about Amendments being under review and their introduction before Christmas. Well worth a second listen on Sunday.

gouda wrote:
    Listen very carefully to Mcdowell on Sunday, if I heard him correctly, he will not be making amendments to the Firearms Act in the lifetime of this Government. Only the changes through the CJB as stated and possibly others at Committee stage. So much for all the talk about about Amendments being under review and their introduction before Christmas. Well worth a second listen on Sunday.

What I remember him actually saying was that he wouldn't be able to introduce a seperate firearms act during the lifetime of the government (which is virtually a truism given the amount of legislation they already have on the "to-do" list), and that therefore he'd be using the CJB to amend the Act. Which he's already said that he will do, dozens of times. But yes, worth the second listen just to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Lets see what the radio shows have to say in the morning and afternoon.we all know the old reliables on RTE and 2FM ;)

i was expecting it to be a anti gun programme. We will have to hear spme complaints an Gerry Ryan this morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement