Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog returns on 04-Sept - and it still bites!

Options
  • 09-06-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Reservoir Cogs Cycling club is proud to present for a second year the Reservoir Dog - a sportive for those of you with plenty of summer km in your legs!

The Reservoir Dog is a tough 125km climbing challenge in the Wicklow/Dublin mountains, taking in 3 of the area s reservoirs (hence the name).
    WARNING: Beware of this dog it bites! Not for the faint-hearted.

The starting / finishing point is the spectacular Russborough House, just outside Blessington Co. Wicklow. This setting will ensure a very unique sportive experience.

There is also a 50km route the Reservoir Pup (naturally), taking in the Blessington Lakes and surrounding hills.

This event is being organised by the Reservoir Cogs Cycle Club, and all proceeds go to a very worthwhile local charity Blessington Tidy Towns.

Full details on the website at www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie. Registration will soon open on Eventmaster - 30 for the Dog and 25 for the Pup.

We are working hard to ensure this will be a very memorable and enjoyable sportive. We had such great feedback from you all last year, hopefully we will see some of you this year for round two!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Missed this last year and was raging, I know you have loads to organise but you lads have an awesome club jersey and if you were to do a limited run of jerseys similar to the club one (for a fee of course) it would be an extra push to sign up.

Either way I will try and go, great route

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Paid for this last year but had a mechanical on the way down.

Will have a 2nd bike on standby this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Excellent event last year, will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Really enjoyed this one last year - one of the best sportives out there.

Damn - just realised it's earlier this year and I think I'm out of the country! :(

It was on the day of the All Ireland football final last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This year... :) It's the only sportive I want to do tbh, having missed out last year.

I was the pr1ck with a camera at the top of one of the toughest (of many) climbs, coming out of the Tallaght reservoirs.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkcR4vp

Some good suffer faces there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Whats the total climbing in 125KM route?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

oconnpad wrote: »
    Whats the total climbing in 125KM route?

Lots!!
    I think I clocked about 1900m.

This is the one I've been looking forward to since last year. Great route and organisation. Will definitely be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Lots!!

This is the one I've been looking forward to since last year. Great route and organisation. Will definitely be there.
    According to MapmyRide the 125km route comes in at just over 2000m of climbing (2000.1m to be exact). We kept putting in hills until we got it over the 2K ;-). Here is the link to the route; http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/587890316

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Looks like I ll be sticking this into the calendar, I ve done the Sally Gap from Glendalough loop a few times but the rest is completely new to me.

What are the first two climbs like, the one up to glencree looks like there s no respite on the elevation map, similar to shay elliot or steeper like the corrabut climb does anyone know?

At the start of the event which is always good.

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »
    ...What are the first two climbs like, the one up to glencree ..
    The one up Glassamucky or Cunard or whatever it's called is by far the toughest especially the last 1k. It brings you out on the Military Road. The rest are fine.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636?filter=overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭omri

I did the Pup last year just to keep the things on the safe side but decided to cycle from Dun Laoghaire to Blessington and did 130km in total that day. Got myself bike rack week ago so now I can drive and maybe try the Dog this time.

Few days ago I did a climb to Conor Pass coming from Dingle (started at the turn around sign for big trucks and coaches). My garmin shows it as Caherciveen Cycling if it means anything to anyone. It was 3.86km at 7% took me just over 19min with 12kph average speed. This was probably my first and only climb of this magnitude and the last 500m was brutal (im 6'4" and 95kg). I have compact chainset with 11-28 cassette and I felt I could use more gears while climbing. So if I keep up with the spins around dalkey throughout the summer do I stand a chance to complete the 125km route with some dignity or should I aim at Pup again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

omri wrote: »
    I did the Pup last year just to keep the things on the safe side but decided to cycle from Dun Laoghaire to Blessington and did 130km in total that day. Got myself bike rack week ago so now I can drive and maybe try the Dog this time.

Few days ago I did a climb to Conor Pass coming from Dingle (started at the turn around sign for big trucks and coaches). My garmin shows it as Caherciveen Cycling if it means anything to anyone. It was 3.86km at 7% took me just over 19min with 12kph average speed. This was probably my first and only climb of this magnitude and the last 500m was brutal (im 6'4" and 95kg). I have compact chainset with 11-28 cassette and I felt I could use more gears while climbing. So if I keep up with the spins around dalkey throughout the summer do I stand a chance to complete the 125km route with some dignity or should I aim at Pup again this year?

From talking to some of the guys marshalling last year the people who completed it ranged from beast men to guys doing their first century not a lot of climbing.

Pretty much all of them finished alright...just varying levels of hurt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The one up Glassamucky or Cunard or whatever it's called is by far the toughest especially the last 1k. It brings you out on the Military Road. The rest are fine.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636?filter=overall

An unmitigated bastard of a climb. The section after the 90degree left hand turn is seriously tough. It actually doesn't look too bad from the bottom so if you don't know it you set out too quick, to hit a wall towards the end.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Funny enough, I find the first 500m to be torture and I usually get my second wind for the top section. Definitely a tough hoor of a climb though.

Funny enough, I find the first 500m to be torture and I usually get my second wind for the top section. Definitely a tough hoor of a climb though.

The first part is hard as well, but you're usually fresh hitting it. I can't pretend I'm Alberto Contador and dance up a couple of hundred meters. Then I'm bolloxed because I am 3 x the weight of Alberto.

they/them/theirs

Corker1 wrote: »
    According to MapmyRide the 125km route comes in at just over 2000m of climbing (2000.1m to be exact). We kept putting in hills until we got it over the 2K ;-). Here is the link to the route; http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/587890316

Great, i don't get outta bed for any less than 2k climbing :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Looks like I ll be sticking this into the calendar, I ve done the Sally Gap from Glendalough loop a few times but the rest is completely new to me.

What are the first two climbs like, the one up to glencree looks like there s no respite on the elevation map, similar to shay elliot or steeper like the corrabut climb does anyone know?

At the start of the event which is always good.

First Climb 70m
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4664729

second Climb 160m
    https://www.strava.com/segments/705316

Then once you're warmed up 270m
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Brian? wrote: »
    An unmitigated bastard of a climb. The section after the 90degree left hand turn is seriously tough. It actually doesn't look too bad from the bottom so if you don't know it you set out too quick, to hit a wall towards the end.
    cheers Brian, your words of "encouragement" are inspiring!

Great, i don't get outta bed for any less than 2k climbing :D:D:D
    oconnpad, are you knucking futs?

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    oconnpad, are you knucking futs?

ha ha, only joking, sure i live in flatlands of meath. But i'll certainly mark the calender for this as i'd like to do this.

ha ha, only joking, sure i live in flatlands of meath. But i'll certainly mark the calender for this as i'd like to do this.
    here's your brother in live in county flat (Kildare) the only hills I have found are the ramps over the train tracks & canal!

....Full details on the website at www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie. Registration will soon open on Eventmaster - 30 for the Dog and 25 for the Pup.

We are working hard to ensure this will be a very memorable and enjoyable sportive. We had such great feedback from you all last year, hopefully we will see some of you this year for round two![/QUOTE]
    For anyone who wants to bag a place there is a live link to registration available through this Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/994609290634624/

Bloggsie wrote: »
    cheers Brian, your words of "encouragement" are inspiring!

It was meant as encouragement. It's a challenge not impossible. You'll be grand.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Lots!!

Phone or cycling computer with Altimeter?
    Brian? wrote: »
    It was meant as encouragement. It's a challenge not impossible. You'll be grand.

To Quote an Audax'er, plus generally really savage and stronger rider that I follow on Strava, who has been naming rides in a motivational format...

"Don't limit your Challenges!
    Challenge your limits!"

If he comes up with 360 more or so, I may Crowd source a motivational Desk Calendar based on them.
    Great yokes!

omri wrote: »

Go for it and stick a 36T on the back instead so you can spin - It's what I use as ~100kg lump and have managed to grind up everything this year (inc corrabut climb) quite happily, 12kph is 5kph faster than I get up stuff (a lot of new climbs for me this year so I really pace myself to make sure I'm going to do it).

Just looked on the calender - it was there already :) 2 minutes later and...

Dear Saccades

Thank you for registering for The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2016
    This event will take place on 04th Sep 2016 and start at 09:00
    Your order ID is 3431-354321621 (please use this for any correspondence).
    Please print off the attachment with this mail and bring it with you to the event.

All funds raised by the event are in aid of the Blessington Youth Project. All details of the event are available on the reservoir dog.
    Any major changes to our event will be notified by further email.

Best regards,
    Reservoir Dog Sportive Cycle Team

Please note : This transaction will appear on your statement as Smart Eventmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

If id had more money in my bank account last weekend I would have booked flights out of the country to to a match in England. Firmly knocked on the head now as I missed out on this last year for a similar reason. Just need to wait til pay day now to sign up. :)

loinnsigh wrote: »
    ....and all proceeds go to a very worthwhile local charity Blessington Tidy Towns.....
    ......All funds raised by the event are in aid of the Blessington Youth Project....
    :confused: So which is it?

• Advertisement

:confused: So which is it?
    Yes I noticed that too Wishbone Ash. Just To clarify that all funds raised go to Blessington Tidy Towns. The Blessington Youth Project were the beneficiaries of last years event. Eventmaster who operate the booking portal were made aware of this change earlier this week but have not updated the info. An email has been sent to eventmaster this evening! Reservoir Cogs made the decision to support local charities with the funds raised from the Reservoir Dog. Every cent raised, once overheads are met, goes to the charity. The other sportive that Reservoir Cogs hosts, the 'Lap de Gaps' raises funds for a national charity - Down Syndrome Ireland. This year almost €18,000 was donated to DSI thanks to riders entrance fees and the generosity of sponsors. All good stuff!

Advertisement