Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Galway

Options
  • 16-05-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, does anyone do this?
    I am trying to figure out what it would be like. Am after getting a job in Galway. Am currently in Dublin. I'm from Ennis so would like to live there ideally and move in with my boyfriend who owns his own house and commute up and down. Job would be a 9-5 in the city centre. Is this madness? Am I putting a serious effort on myself commuting up and down to the centre of Galway? Anyone have any experience of this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you could stand it, the train would suit your work times but would mean a 12 hour day away - train leaves at 6.49, in Galway by 8.10, back on the 5.50 and in Ennis for 7pm. Not cheap but relaxing and great if you're in a position to get some work done on laptop on train etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 3curiosity3

I commuted Clarecastle to Oranmore for about 4 months on a job, starting at 8 finish at 5:30. I found it was very manageable, the only real hindrance was the roadworks that were ongoing at the time, with a stop-go system in place for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭black & white

I know someone who is going from Shannon to Galway 5 days a week for the last 2 or 3 years, think they are on flexitime but are usually on the road 6.30/45 and home around 5.30. They drive but did say they are working near the racecourse so it's 55 mins each way unless there are roadworks or something. Seems to be Ok about it but each t.there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Galway city traffic is very slow. The rest of the commute isn't bad and it'll be very quick when they finish the motorway..think its done just before or after Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I do Clonalra to Galway a couple of times a week.

Once the motorway is finished you'll be at Oranmore in 30 minutes max from the Ennis exit.

Its after that the trouble starts - getting across town at the wrong time of day could take you another 45 mins to an hour.

It basically depends on where you are working and if your start times are flexible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Fsfop

Balagan wrote: »
    If you could stand it, the train would suit your work times but would mean a 12 hour day away - train leaves at 6.49, in Galway by 8.10, back on the 5.50 and in Ennis for 7pm. Not cheap but relaxing and great if you're in a position to get some work done on laptop on train etc.
    Thanks but I'd rather drive as I don't want the hassle of trying to get to the train station in Ennis. Just a bit awkward for me in the mornings.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I do Clonalra to Galway a couple of times a week.

Once the motorway is finished you'll be at Oranmore in 30 minutes max from the Ennis exit.

Its after that the trouble starts - getting across town at the wrong time of day could take you another 45 mins to an hour.

It basically depends on where you are working and if your start times are flexible

I wonder how long it takes from oranmore to city centre? 30 mins to oranmore would be fine when new motorway is open, which I heard will be end of 2017. It's the bit from oranmore into city centre-it would prob b gridlocked

Galway city traffic is very slow. The rest of the commute isn't bad and it'll be very quick when they finish the motorway..think its done just before or after Christmas?

End of 2017 I heard from a guy I know who is working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Fsfop wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone do this?
    I am trying to figure out what it would be like. Am after getting a job in Galway. Am currently in Dublin. I'm from Ennis so would like to live there ideally and move in with my boyfriend who owns his own house and commute up and down. Job would be a 9-5 in the city centre. Is this madness? Am I putting a serious effort on myself commuting up and down to the centre of Galway? Anyone have any experience of this? Thanks

Used to commute to Galway, was a head wrecker going for 9-9.30, especially on a wet day.
    This was before the Gort and Crusheen bypasses so no doubt it's a good bit better now, still a bad road from Gort on though. The real trouble is the last few miles though, traffic in the mornings and evenings is really heavy and if anything goes wrong, a tip or roadworks, its awful altogether. Wet mornings in Galway are disastrous, brutal.
    All that said I'd imagine the whole journey won't be so bad when the new road is finished and if the outer bypass eventually gets done it'll all be fine.

Used to commute to Galway, was a head wrecker going for 9-9.30, especially on a wet day.
    This was before the Gort and Crusheen bypasses so no doubt it's a good bit better now, still a bad road from Gort on though. The real trouble is the last few miles though, traffic in the mornings and evenings is really heavy and if anything goes wrong, a tip or roadworks, its awful altogether. Wet mornings in Galway are disastrous, brutal.
    All that said I'd imagine the whole journey won't be so bad when the new road is finished and if the outer bypass eventually gets done it'll all be fine.

Thanks for that. Think new outer bypass is a few years off though. Maybe I should post in Galway forum about how long it would take to cross the city. I have a few days yet before I have to commit to take the job or not

• Advertisement
Advertisement