Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro bike mechanic course here I come!

• 03-04-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Right, well here I am, up in the big schmoke of a Sunday night.

A long way from the sunny south east!

Starting the pro bike mechanic intensive course tomorrow morning, run in conjunction with Rothar...in two weeks time I'll have a piece of paper to say I'm qualified/competent.

Mind you, I've been building up/fixing bikes for the last 30 years, so I said I'd make it official!

Dreading the thoughts of being a commuter in Dublin in the morning though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

8valve wrote: »
    Right, well here I am, up in the big schmoke of a Sunday night.

A long way from the sunny south east!

Starting the pro bike mechanic intensive course tomorrow morning, run in conjunction with Rothar...in two weeks time I'll have a piece of paper to say I'm qualified/competent.

Mind you, I've been building up/fixing bikes for the last 30 years, so I said I'd make it official!

Dreading the thoughts of being a commuter in Dublin in the morning though!

A bicycle commuter?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Often thought of doing the same. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

A bicycle commuter?

I'm not brave enough to cycle in Dublin!

Often thought of doing the same. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Will post up my opinions/experiences when I finish the course.

Off to a good start today, covering basic workshop etiquette, safety and overviews of tyres/tubes, brakes and gears. Bit of dismantling and rebuilding with more indepth stuff to come as the course progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Are there any basic mechanic courses available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'm not brave enough to cycle in Dublin!

It's not as bad as people make out, the first day can be a bit intimidating but once you get your head around it it's just like any other spin, traffic hates you either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

miller_63 wrote: »
    Are there any basic mechanic courses available?

this + who organizes these things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Halfords ??

if you got a job with them would they train you up??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How is the course so far, worthwhile?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

philstar wrote: »
    Halfords ??

if you got a job with them would they train you up??

Train you down possibly ;)

• Advertisement

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    this + who organizes these things?

this course is run through Rothar.ie; they also do basic maintenance classes.

CramCycle wrote: »
    How is the course so far, worthwhile?

I've been fettling/fixing/breaking bikes for 30yrs and I'm still finding it interesting, picking up some valuable tips and tricks of the trade as we go through each section of a bike. In the past 18 months alone I've renovated close to 150 bikes of all types for Rebike, a charity initiative I started up in 2014 that provides very cheap or free bikes to the local community in Waterford.

Classes are small so there's plenty of support from Mark, the guy instructing, who's a full-time mechanic with Rothar in Dublin.

Other lads who have a little less knowledge are finding it informative and helpful. Nothing is rushed and there's plenty of time for people to ask questions or get 1-to-1 support.

Thumbs up from me, so far.

stecleary wrote: »
    It's not as bad as people make out, the first day can be a bit intimidating but once you get your head around it it's just like any other spin, traffic hates you either way

I'm sitting on the bus into town every morning, flinching every time we pass a cyclist with inches to spare.

Even the women cyclists have balls of titanium up here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm sitting on the bus into town every morning, flinching every time we pass a cyclist with inches to spare.

Even the women cyclists have balls of titanium up here!

Ah would ya stop... just practice your verbal a bust and hand signal abuse and you'll be grand.
    Have you figured how to get a 2ltr bottom end onto a mountain bike yet?

Ah would ya stop... just practice your verbal a bust and hand signal abuse and you'll be grand.
    Have you figured how to get a 2ltr bottom end onto a mountain bike yet?

was thinking of going 2.9vr6 instead...go big or go home! haha

So, just to follow up...

Completed the course this past week and I have to say it was very good.

I have been repairing and assembling bikes for over 30 years on a part-time basis and I still learned some very valuable insights, tips and tricks to make my work easier...in the past couple of years I've repaired probably a couple of hundred bikes, from kiddies bikes to road bikes and everything in between as part of the work we do at Rebike, so I did not go into the course as a relative novice - there were lads on the course who did not have as much experience and the pace was set so that they were not left behind, which I felt was a good thing.

The course is aimed at getting you to a level where you can competently work as a bike mechanic in a shop/business, performing general repairs, overhauls and bike builds. It is City & Guilds and FETAC accredited to Level 2 when completed successfully. I have a BSC in Pharmaceutical Science & Process Technology but bikes are where my heart lies so this qualification is just as satisfying, if not more so!

It does not include hydraulic suspension repair and servicing, electronic gear shift systems, or electric propulsion systems for electric bikes.

Everything else you are likely to come across in the day-to-day duties as a bike mechanic is covered in-depth, at a comfortable pace, with plenty of time allowed for questions to make sure you understand each module.

Mark, the instructor for our course, is friendly, approachable, very helpful and highly knowledgeable in his field of expertise. He was always happy to guide someone if they struggled with something.

All in all, I would recommend this course if you are in a position to take it.

Feel free to post or pm me if you have any queries.

Paul.

Any chance you changed your mind about cycling in Dublin :D

CramCycle wrote: »
    Any chance you changed your mind about cycling in Dublin :D

oh jaysus no! ye take more chances on a daily commute than evel knievel did in his entire career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

oh jaysus no! ye take more chances on a daily commute than evel knievel did in his entire career!
    I wonder if we could add capes to the next boards kit order...

I wonder if we could add capes to the next boards kit order...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Hi, is this a full time course and how long does it take to complete? Is it expensive? Thanks!

Farloo wrote: »
    Hi, is this a full time course and how long does it take to complete? Is it expensive? Thanks!

Hi, there are two options:

One is run over a period of a couple of months, attending classes once a week.

the other (which I went for) is the intensive course run over a two week period.

cost is €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hi, there are two options:

One is run over a period of a couple of months, attending classes once a week.

the other (which I went for) is the intensive course run over a two week period.

cost is €800.

Half considering it myself. I'd be handy on the tools and anything a bike has wouldn't phase me but it'd be nice to learn something bike specific

Advertisement