Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would free returns encourage you to buy shoes?

Options
  • 22-10-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have a wee question that I hope you can give your opinion on. I work for a shoe website and we're looking at offering a free returns service to our customers and this would work by the customer calling the courier and having it collected from them the following day for return to us. Would this encourage you to buy and if so, would you then use the free returns more than you would in a 'Pay Yourself' scenario? Thanks for any opinions :)

Jennifer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

One of the largest online shoe retailers in USA (Zappos) started by offering free returns (and still does). However it menat that they had heavy losses for the first couple of years (expected).

The idea they had was that the customer would purchase 3 or 4 pairs, try them on and return the pairs they didn't want.

Their idea was that customers would keep at least one and possibly 2 pairs.

They turnover $500 million!

http://www.inc.com/inc-advisor/zappos-managing-people-uncommon-service.html

So, I'd say yes, but be prepared to allow 3 / 4 pairs go out and 2/3 of them to come back and some will come back damaged, because some people don't care about stuff. - But this is all priced into the model.

The only drawback is that Ireland is fairly compact and people still like to "shop" and most people are within an hour of a major shopping destination, so big choice would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Hi have bought boots from brix workwear specifically because they do free returns (you pay return postage and they return it with your refund). It is a great option if you cant find what you are looking for locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

jenn1984 wrote: »
    [...] Would this encourage you to buy and if so, would you then use the free returns more than you would in a 'Pay Yourself' scenario? [...]

While for the first "would you..." answer is simple "YES", the second one is a bit more complicated - yes, I would use free returns more, but only because I'd buy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Market research for business purposes is not allowed. Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement