Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meindl boot care

Options
  • 20-09-2015 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Especially service men if here as ye know about looking after boots. I have a pair of meindl boots leather for a few years abut have only worn them a few times . So I want to look after them and what is the best way to care for them on a regular basis . Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Just purchased a new pair of Tiagas yesterday ,the guy I bought them from said he'ed have a conditioner in ,in a few weeks ,and I should use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

The care required depends on the type of leather too. Nubuck requires a different care process than normal leather.

You can get the different products in the shop you bought them in, or from the likes of The Great Outdoors. A quick look at their web site should have the information you need about the care they require.

Look after them, and they will last for years and years of wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Especially service men if here as ye know about looking after boots. I have a pair of meindl boots leather for a few years abut have only worn them a few times . So I want to look after them and what is the best way to care for them on a regular basis . Thanks guys

Most important is when you get home rinse them well under fresh water,if fairly dirty,the worst thing in the field to rot thread and stitching is cow manure,a good wash and some mink oil,or other good cleaner that meindl recommend, will look after them for years for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My meindl army pro are about 5 years old now, i keep them clean with water and a good scrub when dirty and meindl sports wax to condition the leather and keep them waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Meindl Army Pro's here too, had them ten years and just used the Meindl sportwax on them and the odd rub of Kiwi polish to keep them black.

As above keep the manure off them and keep them away from seawater as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I know people say not to use dubbin on gore text boots, but I think that it's worth putting it in around the parts of the boots where it's most likely to crack, ie the toe area. It's great for softening the leather.

You can get the meindl wax and conditioner, but get yourself a tin of dubbin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Yeah I know what you mean, the sport wax is very like dubbin anyway, I don't know how the Goretex is supposed to breath through it?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Altberg boots next and if I do I think I'll go for non Toretex boots this time.

murph226 wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean, the sport wax is very like dubbin anyway, I don't know how the Goretex is supposed to breath through it?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Altberg boots next and if I do I think I'll go for non Toretex boots this time.

the sports wax is absorbed better than dubbin, dubbin leaves a coat where the conditioner does not so it affects the breath-ability of the gortex

To be honest I think the meindls and all those brands they are overrated. When your out in the countryside here walking through toxic cow ****e and stagnant cow piss it's very hard to keep those types of boots clean, the leather will rot off them. They have so much stitching and places to make them hard to clean. I'm wearing German army boots now, they are plain but very functional, no goretex just leather, I soaked them in dubbin to soften them out and then layered on the kiwi boot polish. They are waterproof and give excellent support, I wear them with a pair of British army gaiters. I sometimes wear them with British army goretex boot liners in wet boggy ground. My feet never get wet, the water just beads off them. Give em a wash once a week, dry them out by the rad stuffed with newspapers and reapply the dubbin & polish while I'm watching the late late.

I bought my boots from military1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I got 6 years out of my first meindls , 4 out of my second pair and both those boots got everything from deer stalking to working in africa and everything inbetween thrown at them.The meindl sports wax is very good ,brush them clean with cold water then let them dry and rub in the wax.you will get years out of them,mine would have gotten longer but they were abused to the last !Iv changed now to lowas and currently own 2 pairs,interesting to see will they take the abuse the meindls did

• Advertisement

I got 2 years out of a pair of meindl Dover extremes and the toe leather cracked on them.

I got 2 years out of a pair of meindl Dover extremes and the toe leather cracked on them.

You didn't look after them properly if that's the case, you should get years out of them. most people usually end up changing the sole as it normally wears out first .

Serious amount of cows where I shoot and my meindl have held up perfectly for 5 years now and still look perfect

aaakev wrote: »
    You didn't look after them properly if that's the case, you should get years out of them. most people usually end up changing the sole as it normally wears out first .

Serious amount of cows where I shoot and my meindl have held up perfectly for 5 years now and still look perfect

I did look after them that was the thing. Washed after every outing and put sport wax on them, I over pro ante on my right fort but in all fairness they should have survived after paying nearly €350 for them. They are over rated, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭badaj0z

Lundhags are the ideal boot for Irish conditions. They have a leather boot structure with a rubber overlay over the top of the foot with a proper Vibram sole. You get the best of both worlds, leather for fit and comfort and rubber for protection against bogs and manure. A bit of wax to keep the tops supple and the foot section just needs a wipe after use. Even better, they are waterproof without using Gore Tex so not as sweaty. I am still on my first pair which are over 25 years old

http://www.lissomandmuster.com/367/products/forest-boot--by-lundhags.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I have a pair of Meindl Army to. They are scuffed on the tops fairly badly. I'm dog man and beat heavy cover for foxes so they get tough treatment. Anyone any idea's how to stop scuffing or some treatment I can apply to help protect the upper?

Wish Id bought these instead as they look to have some upper protection.

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/antarktis-gtx

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Im ex-army and i always swore by Lowa. I went for these for up on the hill iv serious mileage on them already.I suffer with my ankles after years of injury's but the support in these is 2nd to none.http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gearreview/lowa-stirling-ii-gtx

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

My problem with the last 2 pairs of Meindl boots has been the failure of the gorttex membrane. The leather and soles are fine and just need cleaning and waxing. Problem is if the boot is not a perfect fit the goretex fails where your foot moves in it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

I use grangers g wax it's great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Boot care advice from Alt-Berg.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/

Traditional care routines work fine for boots made with traditional materials in the traditional ways. But boot manufacturing has changed a lot in recent years: new materials, new treatments, new construction methods. Your care routine has to change also: what worked on a boot 40 years ago won't work (well) on today's boot.

If your boots have a membrane, you need to treat them differently than if they don't. The best place to get care information for your boots is from the manufacturer.

Meindl's main website is currently blocked for me (infected with a virus) but if you go directly to
    http://www.meindl.de/download/deutsch/meindl_trekking_care.pdf
    you should be able to print it out or save their bootcare guide.

PS: Never dry boots beside a radiator - you'll dry out the leather too much and it will crack. <-- lesson learned the hard way.:mad:

Advertisement