Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 27: Chorizo and Scallops with Honey

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given the bedlam that has resulted from moving house, I have 1. lost a reliable cooker/oven, and am now using a cooker that is older than me! and 2. I seem to be unable to find most of the fancy kitchen utensils that I need to cook, for my virginal post in the Cooking Club I have gone for something that doesn’t require an amazing (read: reliable) cooker or an array of kitchen utensils. This is also very quick and easy, so perfect if you’re in a rush or need something quick for a starter/main.

Ingredients:

3 scallops per person for a starter (5-6 if a main course)
    Roughly 1oz chorizo per person, cut into slices 1/8” thick
    2 red chillies, thickly sliced
    2 tablespoons of runny honey
    1 spring onion (optional)
    Parsley (to garnish)

Method:

Chop the chorizo into slices about 1/8” inch thick
    Heat a heavy griddle pan over a high heat and then fry the chorizo until it is browned and juices are running into the pan (I find it best to lower the heat slightly before frying the chorizo to avoid burning it)
    Remove the chorizo and fry the scallops for 2-3 minutes on each side.
    After about a minute, add the chilli (and spring onions if using)
    Just before removing the scallops, add the chorizo and drizzle over the honey
    Stir to coat and serve

I will upload pictures over the weekend.

10491114_746613533704_4534284288250340416_n.jpg?oh=5312ab4f4a9fa19f0ee57bbcee4e6a73&oe=56A3305F

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sounds simple and delicious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm drooling :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Here are a few more images from the preparations:

Usually I pick up fresh scallops at the local fishmongers, but I saw Aldi had a pack of frozen scallops on special offer, so I said I'd try them. They were very big, and quite nice given they were frozen - probably not as much flavor, but not too bad at all for €3.99. I usually rinse the scallops before cooking, and gently pat them dry with some kitchen towel. Also, the larger the scallops, the longer it may need to cook, but I find there is a fine line between the scallops being 'just right' and a little rubbery and overdone. They should be slightly white, and no longer greyish/translucent, and should slice easily with a knife.

I used 3 small chillies in this recipe, but feel free to add to or reduce the number of chillies to suit your tastes. I also tend to like a slightly sweeter taste, so add a little more honey that stated, but again, it can be adjusted according to your preference.

Sorry - not quite sure what happened the last image - it seems to have turned sideways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Which brand chorizo do you use? I'm really fussy when it comes to chorizo so find it hard to find one I like, cheers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The chorizo in the main pic is from M&S, and one in the pics in the second post was from Aldi. It's fine, but if looking at Supermarket chorizo I think the M&S one is better. I find the chorizo in Sheridan's or Fallon and Byrne better again, though it is more expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement