Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the censorship?

Options
  • 04-09-2015 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

How come this site is avoiding the main news issue of the week and indeed the year as in terms of the refugee crisis? I'm not interested in this thread being about the actual refugee crisis but I am very interested in where does censorship begin and end on boards.ie? This is a massive developing story and yet debate is being stifled and moved to a section of the site rarely visited (humanities).

Surely the mods on the site have a responsibility to encourage debate on the issue (I was brought up believing debate was healthy) and not hide it away so the contributions are negligible
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This site does not want any debate on Immigration and anything that goes against there left wing open borders agenda.
    Pure censorship of the highest order, the usual tactics of the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wha'? Reams and reams of anti immigration opinions were accommodated on the thread with over 1,400 replies. Eventually it was just going around in circles and too much of a clusterfuq to be in any way productive.

People in favour of immigration are being "censored" too btw by the decision to close these threads. If discussion can be held in Humanities, then... it's not actually censorship is it?

Personally I'd be pretty centrist and realist (as I am about most things) and can understand people urging a cap on immigration when it's unrealistic for an economy to be too blasé about it, but some of the comments on that thread about desperate civilians trying to flee the horrors of Syria, were reprehensible. They weren't censored though, so I don't know what you're talking about tbh.
    This site does not want any debate on Immigration and anything that goes against there left wing open borders agenda.
    Lol, despite the fact that there have been lengthy discussions about immigration on this site - and still ongoing, just not in After Hours (because they were a mess). A person in support of those fleeing Syria isn't automatically in support of an open borders policy too btw.
    Pure censorship of the highest order, the usual tactics of the left.
    Eh... pure censorship of the highest order would be no discussion whatsoever about a topic, and anything started being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you honestly think the crap spouted in the closed thread in AH was a 'healthy debate'? Really?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We should have threads about refugees and immigration and terrorism and tragedy and the atrocities in the name of religion in the Soccer forum, Farming, Leaving Cert and Fitness too. Maybe in Classic Rock and Personal Issues as well, to be safe. That would definitely be better than keeping those to discussions to Humanities. Oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wha'? Reams and reams of anti immigration opinions were accommodated on the thread with over 1,400 replies. Eventually it was just going around in circles and too much of a clusterfuq to be in any way productive.

People in favour of immigration are being "censored" too btw by the decision to close these threads. If discussion can be held in Humanities, then... it's not actually censorship is it?

Personally I'd be pretty centrist and realist (as I am about most things) and can understand people urging a cap on immigration when it's unrealistic for an economy to be too blasé about it, but some of the comments on that thread about desperate civilians trying to flee the horrors of Syria, were reprehensible. They weren't censored though, so I don't know what you're talking about tbh.

All well and good,however,there were at least 4 seperate threads shut-down within a short time frame.

The decision/s appear to be justified on the ground of "Humanities" being a more appropriate forum for this debate.

This may well indeed be correct,however with After Hours being significantly more popular,and visited by far more members on a regular basis,one can see how a perception of a Boards version of "Political Policing" could be arrived at.

Interestingly,it appears video evidence of significant numbers of migrants not exactly proving to be "Desperate civilians fleeing the horrors of Syria",as they refuse,and throw away food-aid,might well be the catalyst which brought about the moving of the topic to a relatively calm backwater.
    Nicolas Cage posted : Do you honestly think the crap spouted in the closed thread in AH was a 'healthy debate'? Really?

Most long running threads on controversial topics will contain significant amounts of extremes in debating terms,however that call is an individual one to make.

Presumably posts that Nicholas Cage refers to as "crap" are ones which are at variance with his own views,and therefore fair-game for banishment ?

The ability to report posts and posters already exists and presumably it is still open to all members to avail of.

The sudden and apparently coordinated shutting down of the AH threads,at the very least,required somewhat more upfront justification,in order to allay fears that the greater body of Boards was not being "required" to get on-message with the Irish Governments,Media approved,new stance on the situation.

The nature of the AH Mods actions,addded to the timing of them,can surely be seen as suspiciously coincidental ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Political threads get moved from AH to (mostly) Politics Café these days. So I fail to see why people are surprised or see some sort of conspiracy when a debate on what is clearly a humanitarian issue is re-directed to Humanities.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    All well and good,however,there were at least 4 seperate threads shut-down within a short time frame.

The decision/s appear to be justified on the ground of "Humanities" being a more appropriate forum for this debate.

This may well indeed be correct,however with After Hours being significantly more popular,and visited by far more members on a regular basis,one can see how a perception of a Boards version of "Political Policing" could be arrived at.

Interestingly,it appears video evidence of significant numbers of migrants not exactly proving to be "Desperate civilians fleeing the horrors of Syria",as they refuse,and throw away food-aid,might well be the catalyst which brought about the moving of the topic to a relatively calm backwater.

Most long running threads on controversial topics will contain significant amounts of extremes in debating terms,however that call is an individual one to make.

Presumably posts that Nicholas Cage refers to as "crap" are ones which are at variance with his own views,and therefore fair-game for banishment ?

The ability to report posts and posters already exists and presumably it is still open to all members to avail of.

The sudden and apparently coordinated shutting down of the AH threads,at the very least,required somewhat more upfront justification,in order to allay fears that the greater body of Boards was not being "required" to get on-message with the Irish Governments,Media approved,new stance on the situation.

The nature of the AH Mods actions,addded to the timing of them,can surely be seen as suspiciously coincidental ?
    I presume Nicolas Cage is referring to the "Boohoo, so what if civilians are fleeing Syria" as crap, which is hardly unreasonable. They're pretty objectionable. Saying so is just another form of freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

After Hours is meant to be an irreverent, light-hearted area of the site where silliness is the order if the day.

Are you honestly saying that forum is the most appropriate place to discuss the greatest humanitarian catastrophe of modern times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    After Hours is meant to be an irreverent, light-hearted area of the site where silliness is the order if the day.

Are you honestly saying that forum is the most appropriate place to discuss the greatest humanitarian catastrophe of modern times?

There seems to a disparity between what AH is meant to be and what it actually is. It might not be the most appropriate place but people are choosing it to start threads. Some terrible things are said in AH but I would prefer to know what people are thinking.
    I don't think you will be able to get AH to conform and I dont think treating it like an embarrassing child is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Because people choose AH to start threads on certain topics does not make it the correct place for those topics.

You can still get to know what people are thinking by reading threads in other forums.

For the record - AH is not boards' 'embarrassing child'. AH is something that boards is very proud of. Unfortunately, some members choose to abuse it & post any ol' shyte they see fit. They are the embarrassment - not AH.

• Advertisement

After Hours is not Boards.ie. I wouldn't start a discussion about video games there, I'd go to the games forum. Same for TV, movies, politics, literature.

There's no conspiracy with threads being shut down. More that there's better and more appropriate places for them.

People misunderstand AH - its basically the pub, where you go to have general conversations, without delving too deep. If you want to, you go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Because people choose AH to start threads on certain topics does not make it the correct place for those topics.

You can still get to know what people are thinking by reading threads in other forums.

For the record - AH is not boards' 'embarrassing child'. AH is something that boards is very proud of. Unfortunately, some members choose to abuse it & post any ol' shyte they see fit. They are the embarrassment - not AH.

Directing anything of substance away from AH does not suggest pride.
    Thanks for pointing out opinions are available on other forums .If all the posters followed the thread you might get an encompassing picture but they dont.
    Everything in its proper place and squared away sounds a bit dystopic and unrealistic to me.
    I know boards makes the rules and I can feel free to fùck off anytime I dont like it or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Zaph wrote: »
    Political threads get moved from AH to (mostly) Politics Café these days. So I fail to see why people are surprised or see some sort of conspiracy when a debate on what is clearly a humanitarian issue is re-directed to Humanities.

At any time 70%of the threads on the first page of AH alone can be moved/continued to more appropriate forums but somehow that doesn't happen. So unless your planning to use this approach to all threads your point is mute imo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Zaph wrote: »

The drowned boy thread was left open for 2/3 days, if your being consistent the previous Migration/Refugee crisis thread should have been left open and this content moved to it.
    Or you could leave open (one) of the other threads that have been closed that come from a anti-migration stand-point.

As it stands leaving open a thread that positive to the pro-migration/refugee for a number of days but closing it when the tone changes and then closing all other threads definitely smacks of politicized moderation.
    Is there an argument for closing or amalgamating the any other threads quickly apart from the the drowning one that isn't politicized?

Personally I think AH moderation has a pretty strong agenda these days to the point where it might be easier to stick in a mission statement to After Hours long the lines
    "AH believes in promoting a safe posting environment for all its users, and promoting a tolerant Ireland with equal rights and opportunities for all and is moderated to achieve this"

It would clarify the defacto position of the mods (and dev) anyway and when people get annoyed you can just point to it

RDM, threads that are positive towards migrants? How could you in all honesty think there was only positivity towards them in that 1,400-plus posts thread? And I just remembered the almost 4,200-posts thread, again with the airing of all views accommodated.

It's incredible that people are resorting to claims of censorship when they have voiced their views over and over.

Clearly there is upset that people can't keep going on about people fleeing Syria in desperation as being parasites and not really in desperation and showboating of how hard they are - have they not done it enough, over and over?

Clearly there is upset that people can't keep going on about people fleeing Syria in desperation as being parasites and not really in desperation and showboating of how hard they are - have they not done it enough, over and over?

This thread was about that horrific picture of that young child

When it came to light that he lived in Turkey in relative safety all of a sudden the thread/topic was more suitable for humanities and was closed down in AH (at least that is my view on it)

Lol at the complaining on the humanities thread about censorship amid open discussion of the topic. :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I always thought Humanities == Arts as opposed to Humanitarian issues. Would have imagined that the Politics forum would be the appropriate place in any event not AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Lol at the complaining on the humanities thread about censorship amid open discussion of the topic. :pac:

Some people rather try and make themselves the victim instead of discussing the issue. Hence you see claims of censorship when they are just told to take it to another forum as there would be multiple threads related to each other on the front page of AH. Other forums tend to expect a higher quality of posting than is allowed in AH so I would imagine that would be a problem for the usual people with their conspiracy theories. Even on the thread there now, there is more talk about the mods joining with the Illuminati to control the masses and how we will be all Muslim by Friday afternoon. Add in some stuff about how the media are in on it and the thread is probably more at home in conspiracy theories than it is in humanities or AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

A thread about a humanitarian crisis was moved to Humanities?

Why, my monocle is twirling with outrage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The thread had run it's course on AH, it was simply going nowhere so people were asked to take it to Humanities. It was a judgement call on the part of the Mods and it was probably the right one. As others have pointed out it affects everyone who was posted regardless of their viewpoint. I'm not seeing how that is censorship.

Personally my sympathies are with the mods of Humanities.

I think the issue is with policies and the inconsistent implementations of said policies as I tried to point out earlier

The reasoning of closing it down in AH And referring to humanities is a fair one if that approach was taken with all threads not belonging in AH ... But that isn't the case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

How come this site is avoiding the main news issue of the week and indeed the year as in terms of the refugee crisis? I'm not interested in this thread being about the actual refugee crisis but I am very interested in where does censorship begin and end on boards.ie? This is a massive developing story and yet debate is being stifled and moved to a section of the site rarely visited (humanities).

Surely the mods on the site have a responsibility to encourage debate on the issue (I was brought up believing debate was healthy) and not hide it away so the contributions are negligible

It's because Boards.ie is a business and negative views being expressed on immigration is not good for business in the current climate. As always, follow the money.

I don't even blame the owners (that much) these are tough times for websites that generate their profit from advertising, but at least be honest about it.

Some people rather try and make themselves the victim instead of discussing the issue. Hence you see claims of censorship when they are just told to take it to another forum as there would be multiple threads related to each other on the front page of AH

Your getting your digs anyway but avoiding the meat of the argument.
    The initial refugee/migrant thread was closed for whatever reason.

The drowned kid thread should have been moved to humanities immediately or closed as other threads have been (no other threads were left open for 2/3 days).
    What made this thread different that it couldn't have been moved immediately or placed in a reopened 1st thread (possibly with a rename).
    Each of these options would leave either 1 or no threads about migration in AH.

The inconsistency is obvious but seems to be denied due to stance on the issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Old Jakey wrote: »
    I don't even blame the owners (that much) these are tough times for websites that generate their profit from advertising, but at least be honest about it.

You have no idea how moderating a forum here actually works.

Your getting your digs anyway but avoiding the meat of the argument.
    The initial refugee/migrant thread was closed for whatever reason.

The drowned kid thread should have been moved to humanities immediately or closed as other threads have been (no other threads were left open for 2/3 days).
    What made this thread different that it couldn't have been moved immediately or placed in a reopened 1st thread (possibly with a rename).
    Each of these options would leave either 1 or no threads about migration in AH.

The inconsistency is obvious but seems to be denied due to stance on the issue.

The main meat of the argument is that the mods are conspiring against people with a certain viewpoint by telling them to post in a certain forum if they wish to discuss the issue. Ignoring the fact that the supposed viewpoint of the mods is also being moved with it.

Maybe the mods left that thread open as they thought people could behave like mature adults but closed it when they saw it was ending up like every other thread on the matter. There are plenty of threads which are given a chance and are closed when they go to ****.

Moving to the humanities forum means there should be a higher level of discussion than you would get in AH, something people have be claiming to want instead of just being called racist. Now when people get that there isnt enough people for their liking.

The main meat of the argument is that the mods are conspiring against people with a certain viewpoint by telling them to post in a certain forum if they wish to discuss the issue. Ignoring the fact that the supposed viewpoint of the mods is also being moved with it.

Maybe the mods left that thread open as they thought people could behave like mature adults but closed it when they saw it was ending up like every other thread on the matter. There are plenty of threads which are given a chance and are closed when they go to ****.

Moving to the humanities forum means there should be a higher level of discussion than you would get in AH, something people have be claiming to want instead of just being called racist. Now when people get that there isnt enough people for their liking.

Whats the reasoning in leaving the drowned kid thread open for days though ?
    Why close the thread that existed before it.
    Why close emotive threads from the "anti" side immediately

The thread should have gone to humanities immediately or been lumped in with the previous thread, or one of the other threads should have been left open.

TLDR: Treat all agenda posting equally or put in a mission statement.

An File wrote: »
    You have no idea how moderating a forum here actually works.

Why do you bother posting in feedback, its never constructive and always is exactly the official line (and I have been in a too frequent poster in feedback :-\ for a long time so have seen the "official" line change substantially on a number of things)

The thread should have gone to humanities immediately or been lumped in with the previous thread, or one of the other threads should have been left open.

Are you still claiming the thread about the drowned child was a "positive" thread about refugees despite the reams of negativity allowed on it? It was neither positive nor negative - views from both sides were accommodated.

The threads were closed because they were just going around in circles and becoming a mess. This always happens, with any topic.

• Advertisement

The mods felt it might not go downhill with people just insulting each other.

The mods felt it went downhill with people just insulting each other.

The mods felt it would probably go downhill with people just insulting each other.

If it is the one with the video of the train I think that was closed after the thread with the boy on the beach was closed so that would suggest the mods just got fed up dealing with this kind of thread.

So the problem is with 1 thread being kept open longer than you would like and because that thread showed a viewpoint which might provide sympathy for refugees the mods are part of some sort of conspiracy.

If it is an ongoing pattern, maybe. One thread on its own which could have remained open until the mods figured out how they were going to treat the topic? I doubt it.

The mission statement could just say "Yes, the mods are out to get you" so everyone can feel equally targeted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement