Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krakow, late October

Options
  • 04-09-2015 3:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Myself and my buddy are thinking of going to Krakow in late October. So far we see that we can do:
    - Auschwitz & Belsen
    - Saltmines
    - Markets

What else is there to do there?

Also looking for recommendations on where to stay and transport in and around the city please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Schindler Factory which is now a museum is there.
    You can get good walking tours of the city and castle from the main square.

I was hosteling last time I was there so I stayed in Greg and Toms party hostel which was lovely and very central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They've a big castle, the pharmacy museum is really quirky and there's a museum under the market square.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good places to stay that won't break the bank.
    Hotel Kazimierz on Miodowa street (south of Wawel Castle - in the Jewish section - close to Plac Nowy, full of restaurants and cafes, about 15 minutes walk from the Rynek).
    Rezydent Hotel, Grodzka Street (just off the Main square/Rynek)

It's possible to visit Auschwitz/Birkenau and the Wieliczka Mines in one day if you'd like to. It might be worth a taxi trip out to see Plaszow camp where Schindler's workers were interned. The villa Amon Goeth allegedly shot camp inmates from is still there.

If you'd like a good fright, Lost Souls Alley.

You can also tour the Tyskie brewery, if that's your thing.

In case you are intending to travel very late October, be aware November 1st is a public holiday in Poland. Many shops and businesses will be closed. Bus services between the Auschwitz and Birkenau memorials will not be as frequent as other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

spurious wrote: »
    It's possible to visit Auschwitz/Birkenau and the Wieliczka Mines in one day if you'd like to

Don't know about that. I went on the first tour of the day at Auschwitz at 9am and I was out around 2pm.

Doubt there'd be enough time to get to the Saltmines and do the tour at that stage of the day.

Better to split them over 2 days and take your time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's possible if you take a private driver. The one I use gets us to Auschwitz before the buses and big crowds arrive - it's only about 20zl more than doing the standard tours.
    Of course it's possible to do it with public transport at much cheaper rates, but I find we are usually only in Krakow for a few days and like to spend time doing other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

+1 for Schindler Factory :D

Both concentration camps and Salt mines are incredible in their own ways.

Wawel Castle is worth a wander even if you only walk around the outside. Very pretty at sunset.

I spent a few days in Zakopane a skiing/snowboarding town located a couple of hours away. I know that they do offer day trips there and it was pretty spectacular. Hiked Morskie Oko and had the most delicious hot chocolate on top of a mountain. It was bliss.

Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

A private driver is defo the best way to get to Auschwitz and back.

The walk around the city park (literally circles the city) is awesome to do. Also, the national gallery is impressive and a handy enough walk. The castle should be seen too. Kazimierz has some excellent restaurants and bars.

Advertisement